Residents

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
One of my favourite games of the year and back to Origin night. Means no tv like when it's a stand alone game but makes it a bigger event.

Qld won 36-6 last year and a lot of the same side is back.

Had there been a sin bin in the Kaufusi family backyard in Bundaberg it would rarely have been empty.
New Zealand-born brothers, Antonio, Felise and the youngest of the three, Patrick, used to get stuck into each other in the backyard well before the 'no punch' rule was introduced.
Their father, Taniela, would often have to intervene when tempers flared and emotions ran high.
"Mate, there were a few bloody noses and splits lips in the backyard and I would go running off to dad," laughed the youngest Kaufusi.
"We had all the cousins around for BBQs or we'd go to their house and there would always be a footy game.
"We had a pretty big backyard so there was always a game on.
"We would just play until someone got hurt and then we'd make sure whoever got hurt was ok and either keep playing or call the game off.
"There'd be times we'd get into it and we would have to be dragged apart.
"It got pretty fiery, a few times, fists flew.
Both Patrick and Felise wanted to be "Billy Slater" in the backyard games.
"Ever since he did that chip-and-chase try (2004) every kid playing in the backyard wants to be Billy Slater."
kafusi3.jpg

Sunday represents another chance for Kaufusi to continue to gain some big match experience.
He had been tearing it up for Easts in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup as arguably the competition's best forward before the Storm offered him a two-year deal.
"With the coaching staff and their culture and success and with Felise being down there, I could not pass it up," he said.
"I watch his (Felise's) videos and always try and learn from him and he will pull me up at training sometimes if he thinks I am doing something wrong or to help me out with something.
"He is always there to help me out, like our older brother, Antonio did for us."
A number good judges believe Patrick can emulate brother Felise who also came through the Queensland Cup pathway to be a regular NRL force.
Though Patrick debuted in the NRL in 2015, his opportunities have been scarce and he has played just 22 games at the top level since.
Speaking to QRL Media after his selection in the Queensland Residents side to play NSW in Sunday's Harvey Norman State of Origin curtain-raiser, Patrick said there were times when the backyard game would blow up.
Felise will play in the Origin game straight after, so it will be a massive day for the Kaufusi clan in Sydney.
Felise is two years older than Patrick. Antonio, who played for 144 NRL games for three different clubs and 84 games in the UK Super League, is 34.
kafusi1.jpg

"I'm following him around but I got the opportunity to sign with Melbourne recently and could not pass that up the coaching staff the club has there and with Felise being there as well," Patrick said.
"We grew up watching Origins and none of us thought we would ever play in one.
"I know last the first Origin he (Felise) was buzzing all week and so was our
family, we were all pretty proud of him and happy for him.
Are the two alike?
"I am pretty laidback and go with the flow and chill whereas he'll plan things and be on control more," Patrick revealed.
Kaufusi said playing on the big stage on Origin night was a massive step.
"I'm pretty stoked actually. I think I was playing the best football I have before going down to Melbourne and I am happy to get this opportunity to represent Queensland," he said.
"Hopefully I can give it a red hot crack this weekend."
Kaufusi knows he has a lot of very talented players around him.
"The standard of the Intrust Super Cup has shot through the roof with so many young boys coming through.
"There's a hell of a lot of good players who haven't made this Residents side.
"And when you look at the talented players who come through the system like Cameron Munster, and even my brother, Felise, it gives you hope that you can follow them.
"Those players have shown that you can make your dream become a reality."

XXXX Queensland Residents
1. Scott Drinkwater (Easts Tigers)
2. Jonus Pearson (Redcliffe Dolphins)
3. Marion Seve (Souths Logan Magpies)
4. Gehamat Shibasaki (Norths Devils)
5. Kalifa Faifai-Loa (Townsville Districts Blackhawks)
6. Billy Walters (Easts Tigers)
7. Jamal Fogarty (Burleigh Bears)
8. Nathaniel Neale (Ipswich Jets)
9. Patrick Politoni (Burleigh Bears)
10. Sam Anderson (Redcliffe Dolphins)
11. Patrick Kaufusi (Easts Tigers)
12. Blake Leary (Burleigh Bears)
13. Patrick Mago (Souths Logan Magpies)
14. Mitchell Cronin (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
15. Patrick Carrigan (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
16. Lachlan Timm (Sunshine Coast Falcons)
17. William Bugden (Northern Pride)
18. Jake Clifford (Northern Pride)

THE 2018 INTRUST SUPER NSW RESIDENTS SQUAD IS AS FOLLOWS:

Aaron Gray (Newtown Jets)
Bayley Sironen (Western Suburbs Magpies)
Billy Brittain (North Sydney Bears)
Blayke Brailey (Newtown Jets)
Caleb Aekins (Penrith Panthers)
Dean Britt (North Sydney Bears)
Ed Murphy (Mounties)
Jacob Felise (Western Suburbs Magpies)
Kurt Dillon (Newtown Jets)
Kyle Flanagan (Newtown Jets)
Liam Martin (Penrith Panthers)
Luke Garner (Western Suburbs Magpies)
Maika Sivo (Penrith Panthers)
Mawene Hiroti (North Sydney Bears)
Ofahiki Ogden (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Scott Sorensen (Newtown Jets)
Sean O’Sullivan (Wyong Roos)
Suaia Matagi (Wentworthville Magpies)
Tony Satini (Mounties)
Coach: Shane Millard

Imagine growing up and your dad is a rugby league star and your uncles both played for Queensland and Australia.
You would be the most popular kid in school and have bragging rights in the playground.
Everyone would want to be your best mate.
That was Queensland Residents five-eighth Billy Walters' childhood.
But Billy says he never really knew what all the fuss was about, because he used to go to football with his dad Kevin and uncles Steve and Kerrod almost every weekend.
"I probably didn't realise how lucky and fortunate I was until I was about 16 or 17 because we would always be going to Broncos games, Origins or Test matches or grand finals," he told QRL Media.
"For a long time I was pretty naïve. I just thought that is what people did if they loved rugby league.
"Then one day I realised not everyone got those opportunities and lived that lifestyle.
"I definitely appreciated it a lot more the last few years and understood how lucky I was."
Kevin, Kerrod and Steve Walters hold a rare place in history as brothers who all played for Australia at the same time.
However, Billy said coming from one of the best rugby league families in the game's history did not put any pressure on him to make it.
"It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it is something I am quite proud of," he said.
"I use it as motivation sometimes because I want to achieve those same goals."
"They all great. They just try and help out when they can and support me.
"Dad might throw in a cheeky comment here or there big-noting himself and will let him get away with it because he was a pretty good.
"He sometimes makes me watch his old videos to show off how good he was.
"If it gets too much I just remind him he got carried by Alfie (close friend Allan Langer)," Billy adds with a laugh.
With 296 NRL games, 20 Origins for Queensland, 11 Tests and six premierships (one with Canberra and five with Brisbane) as a player, and now two victorious State of Origin series as coach, his old man does have some bragging rights in the Walters household.
Kevin's twin Kerrod and older brother Steve both won premierships and played for Queensland and Australia while Billy was growing up.
Walters has been in Melbourne's system now for about six months and loves it.
billy-walters-02-1.jpg

"I've learned so much since I've been in Melbourne, I knew it would be a great fit for me because having been there briefly before I know they do all the little things and that's what I need to improve in my game, "he said.
He has backed himself to play NRL for the Storm by going up against a couple of promising young halves in current No.7 Ryley Jacks and a player everyone was talking about at the start of the season, halfback Brody Croft, tagged a Cooper Cronk clone.
"The quality down there is amazing. I'm always working on extras and stuff and learning as much as I can," Billy said.
"Hopefully Sunday's game will give me some more big match experience so when I do get a call up to the NRL, I'm ready because that's what you have be if you get a shot - ready.
"The Melbourne guys are great blokes. They're not snobby they will talk to you and help you as much as they can. They work the extra with you and give you pointers on how you can improve things in your game.
"I'm just trying to soak it all up.
"I think I am ready to play NRL and so does dad, it's just about the opportunity.
"Right now there is Jacks, Croft and Cameron Munster in front of me and they're all great players so it's a case of waiting for an opportunity and being ready to grab when it comes along."
Walters recalled a story about an impromptu footy game last Christmas against his dad and his uncles which made him smile.
billy-walters-05.jpg

"The footy came out after a few drinks with all the kids taking on the oldies," he revealed.
"There was a bit of macho man stuff going on and everyone was trying to run over the top of each other, there weren't too many sidesteps.
"I think all the old people woke up a bit sore the next morning."
While he didn't see the live feed of his dad answering questions at Monday's official Origin team announcement, he said he'd heard he had been a bit short at the press conference.
"Someone actually told me he walked out?" said Walters.
"I guess he is under a bit of pressure this year after losing game one, and with a few injuries the camps probably aren't going as smoothly as he would like, but he will be fine.
"He's pretty calm most of the time and doesn't get too worked up."
One thing is certain for the Walters clan. Sunday shapes as a massive day for both father and son at ANZ Stadium.

Pfft, he could have come to the Broncs and probably be playing FG now. Well, he isn't so who cares.

He's been going really well, probably a little bit better than this time last year. He might play for the Storm when they're missing guys for game three.

Big game on Sunday will help. He was awesome last year in the Queensland team.

Blake Leary has been a rugby league gypsy for a decade, travelling around the east coast pulling on the boots and having a run wherever he can.
His profile on Instagram - where he is a frequent and entertaining poster - carries the quote "You can't but memories".
He certainly has plenty of those and as a veteran of 32 NRL games, 27 of them with Manly and five for the Cowboys, he is hoping he is not finished at the elite level just yet.
Leary will captain a talented Queensland Residents side - a collection of players from the state-wide Intrust Super Cup competition - against a quality NSW side in the main undercard match to Sunday's State of Origin blockbuster at ANZ Stadium
A quick glance at his travel log shows he started playing juniors for the Nerang Roosters.
A graduate of Keebra Park State High, a strong league nursery responsible for many good players including Benji Marshall, Leary was signed by Melbourne Storm in 2009, playing 26 games and scoring 17 tries for its NYC team.
He also captained the Storm's youth team in 2010.
In 2011 he was off to the Cowboys, playing for the Northern Pride, who won the Intrust Super Cup and upset Penrith in the National Championship.
Leary made his debut for the Cowboys under Neil Henry when he was 21 against Newcastle in 2012, before moving to Manly under Des Hasler.
He played 27 games for the northern beaches club.
He packed his bags yet again in 2016, returning to North Queensland and this time linking with the Townsville Blackhawks, before getting a call-up from the Cowboys in 2017 and playing another three NRL games.
Now he finds himself back home on the Gold Coast, looking to crack back into the NRL for a third time.
"I've found some enjoyment moving back home to the Coast," Leary revealed.
"I love the lifestyle and it's rekindled my desire to force my way back into the NRL with the Titans or wherever I can.
"It's still a big goal of mine now that I am older and wiser to have another shot at the NRL."
Leary said he had spoken to his manager a few days ago about engaging some NRL clubs.
"Obviously being selected in the Residents side is a great honour and it promotes you a bit more," he said.
"It's a lot easier to sell someone who has played NRL before and is making rep sides.
"The ball is in my court now to make it happen."
Now 27, Leary accepts time is running out, but adds he isn't ready to quite yet.
"I'm back on the Gold Coast as a career move because I want to play NRL," he said.
"At the Blackhawks in Townsville last year I was trying to work my way around Coen Hess, Ethan Lowe, (Jason) Taumalolo and Gavin Cooper.
"I saw a pathway down here and it was an opportunity to come home to the Gold Coast and try again.
"I've still got that burn to play NRL. I'm not ready to kick my feet up just yet.
"I reckon my best footy is still ahead of me after what I've learned from 32 games of NRL and I am a better player now.
"I need to get over a few niggling injuries and start playing consistent footy.
"I can't plead my case if I am sitting on the sidelines every week."
Leary, who is a tad under 100kgs, has implemented changes to his game in the past 18 months to help his cause.
blake-leary-01.jpg

He has made the transformation from a line-running edge back-rower to a ball playing back-rower with good results.
"I'm not the biggest backrower, so being able to ball play before the line and adding a kicking-game to my skill set has helped add some variety to my game I think."
Leary is hoping thecombination he has formed with Bureligh Bears teammate and Residents halfback Jamal Fogarty will produce something special against the Blues on Sunday.
"Jimmy (Jamal) been playing some great footy for the Bears and I think JB (coach Jon Buchanan) has been looking at the left edge combination we have at Burleigh," Leary said.
"Hopefully we can pull off something special together on Sunday."
This weekend will be the third time Leary has represented Queensland Residents, having captained the side to victory in 2017 and making the squad from Northern Pride in 2014.

So is this game televised on fox??

Stack of broncos in the back line

Negative no tv coverage.
Damn, would've been good to watch.

May be an opportunity missed by Fox... could've gone residents game straight into their own Origin 2 preview.

Damn, would've been good to watch.

May be an opportunity missed by Fox... could've gone residents game straight into their own Origin 2 preview.

That's why they moved it to a stand alone game at an ISC game so they could have tv but now they're back to Origin.

Not too sure, Origin night is a big deal and players like that big event v tv if you have it as a stand alone game.

You could easily turn it into a mid-season grand final-Esque day:

Game 1: under 18 Origin
Game 2: under 20 Origin
Game 3: residents
Game 4: WSOO
Game 5: SOO

Or

Game 1: Residents
Game 2: PNG v Fiji
Game 3: WSOO
Game 4: NZ v Eng
Game 5: Samoa v Tonga (that would get everyone pumped)
Game 6: SOO

Have music / half-time comps, etc - turn it into a carnival / spectacle

Gehamat Shibasaki has already had one false start to launching his NRL career with the Brisbane Broncos but he hasn't let that discourage his hopes of following in the footsteps of his Queensland Residents teammate and cousin Jonus Pearson.
Shibasaki only recently discovered Pearson was his cousin.
They get on like a house on fire, helping each other out and improving their games together.
Shibasaki has an unusual pedigree - a mix of Torres Strait Island and Japanese heritage.
He was set to make his NRL debut in round 11 against the Roosters until a late change saw the debut handed to another young hopeful, Kotoni Staggs, who scored a try with almost his first touch.
While it was a disappointing moment for the Townsville 19 year-old, he knows he will get another opportunity if he is patient and continues to impress the coaching staff with his work ethic and attitude.
"I'm no different to anyone else, I want to get noticed and make a name for myself because obviously I want to play NRL," he said.
Playing for the Queensland Residents against the Blues in Sunday's prelude to State of Origin at ANZ Stadium gives him another chance to show what he can do on a big stage.
"I was pretty happy to get selected in my first year of the Intrust Super Cup," he said.
Shibasaki was 16 when he attended his first Origin game.
But he wasn't just a spectator, he played for Queensland in the Under16s curtain raiser.
"I remember watching Origin, it was absolutely amazing, the atmosphere was electric," Gehamat recalled
"From then on I just loved watching it and that eight-year streak was unbelievable."
While he respects all elements of his family's diverse heritage, he mainly abides by Torres Strait culture, including their initiations into manhood.
As he explained to QRL Media, one of those initiations was a shaving ceremony, which signified transforming from a boy to a man.
"You're not allowed shave your facial hair until you are 18 or until considered old enough by your parents. Then your uncles on your mother's side shave you and your beard," he said.
"They're also supposed take young men out hunting but when I moved down to Sydney I missed out on some of those things."
a04o1291.jpg

The young Norths Devils centre endured a tough examination last week when he marked up on Tongan tank Konrad Hurrell in an Intrust Super Cup clash against Tweed Heads.
While he was on the losing end, Shibasaki took a lot out of opposing the international, now contracted to the Gold Coast Titans.
"I was pretty nervous before the game because Konrad Hurrell is a pretty big name in the game," Shibasaki said.
"I used to watch him play when I was a bit younger.
"I knew how good he was and how powerful and what he could do."
It goes without saying he is excited about Sunday's big challenge.
"Any time you pull on a Queensland jumper it is very special," he said.
Earlier this year the NRL's new boss Peter Beattie said the game needed to find players within the Asian region to help grow the game further.
With promising Broncos teammate Payne Hass having Filipino heritage, Shibasaki being of Japanese decent and the game growing in places like Thailand and Hong Kong, a combined South East Asian team could certainly pack a punch.
"If they did it would be good, it opens up rugby league around the word," said Shibasaki.
"I guess the opportunity is there (to play) if they do. If it did eventuate I would look into it for sure," he said.
"Playing the NRL and seeing how far I can get is my priority but seeing I am from there I wouldn't mind helping out."

Game day!

Bit cold but all good- guys are ready. Slater presented the jumpers to the guys and did a great speech.

Kyle Flannagan has got a bit of focus this week but not too much on the Blues. I expect Nat Neale to be exceptional and Seve to have a big game.

Final team with changes.

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Tony Satini
3. Aaron Gray
4. Mawene Hiroti
5. Maika Sivo
6. Sean O'Sullivan
7. Kyle Flanagan (c)
8. Kurt Dillon
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Jacob Felise
16. Dean Britt
12. Luke Garner
13. Liam Martin
14. Suaia Matagi
15. Ofahiki Ogden
16. Billy Brittain
19. Bayley Sironen
Coach: Shane Millard

That first half was diabolical, you can't come back from that. Walters tried hard to get it moving and Carrgian was excellent when he came on.

Drinkwater was very good too. About the only positives I can take.

That first half was diabolical, you can't come back from that. Walters tried hard to get it moving and Carrgian was excellent when he came on.

Drinkwater was very good too. About the only positives I can take.

Billy's defence was shocking at times. But then again most of them were shocking in defence, especially on the right side. Carrigan was the only Bronco who didnt let anyone down.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.