Resurgent Adam Blair the key man for Broncos NRL title hopes

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ADAM Blair has become Brisbane’s most influential prop since Shane Webcke with the Kiwi enforcer possessing a superior finals record to Cowboys champion Johnathan Thurston.

At rock bottom at Wests Tigers 12 months ago, the resurgent Blair goes into Saturday night’s Queensland derby boasting the best finals record of any Cowboys or Broncos player.

The 114kg front-row bruiser has a near flawless playoff portfolio, having won seven of 10 finals for a 70 per cent success rate, underlining his big-match credentials.

Webcke is widely-regarded as Brisbane’s greatest prop, but not even he enjoyed Blair’s success on the sudden-death stage, winning 12 of 25 finals for a 48 per cent strike-rate.

Even Thurston, who is charging towards a record fourth Dally M Medal, cannot match Blair, winning eight of 15 playoff matches for a 53 per cent success rate.

Thurston and Webcke’s numbers illustrate just how difficult it is to consistently win finals games - and why Broncos teammates believe Blair has given the club a title-winning hard edge.

“Adam has brought a lot to our pack,” said Brisbane back-rower Alex Glenn.

“I love it when he gets up us, it brings out the aggression in you.

“Adam is so great in the ruck, he controls the ruck so well with his wrestle game from his days at the Storm ... he really has taught us a lot.”

Blair’s finals record can be largely attributed to his presence during Melbourne’s golden years between 2006-11, but seldom was he a passenger in star-studded Storm outfits.

It was Blair’s fusion of power and finesse that helped the Storm to the 2009 premiership. In the grand final, he scored a first-try half before setting up Billy Slater for the 55th minute four-pointer that broke Parramatta’s hearts in the 23-16 victory.

Now at the Broncos, Blair has taken the professionalism and will-to-win he learned under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne and injected it into Brisbane’s rejuvenated football unit.

“We have the hunger to win it,” Blair said. “That is the ultimate goal and our work ethic has got us to where we are now.

“My time at Melbourne taught me mental toughness. I learned that when times are tough, you have to push that little bit extra just to help your teammates.

“I have carried that attitude throughout my career and I’m glad it’s working for me today at the Broncos.”

Blair had a slow start at Red Hill but lock Corey Parker lauded him as one of the buys of the season.

“When I found out he was coming to the Broncos, I was excited to have him on board,” Parker said.

“He has copped some criticism from time to time but he is just the ultimate professional and brings that experience you can’t buy.

“He comes from a very good background at Melbourne and he has a lot of good traits that helps at this stage of the season.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-nrl-title-hopes/story-fniabm4i-1227520593204

But how many of those finals games actually count?

He's been great for us this year.

I can't wait to see both he and Gavet rip into the opposition next season.

Let's get a random irrelevant stat and make an article about it.

Separate to his "power", what I really like about Blair is he "finesse": he seems to be thinking about what he is doing, and he thinks ahead, looking for opportunities, ready for some of those killer offloads instead of mindlessly barging one out. He's virtually a play making prop and on that basis, I agree he is an absolute key to our finals chances.

A bit of topic ... then we have Parker's offloading, Thaiday's passing and quick play the balls, and I think criticisms of our pack are largely unwarranted. What they may lose in sheer size compared to some of the monster props, they make up for with "finesse" - creativity, and an understanding that forward play is as much about getting the ball to do the work as gaining metres and field position.

Blair is a really impressive prop and may well be one of our best ever if he maintains consistency.

It was during the Newcastle game after Moose went down that he flicked a switch. Since then he has been a rock for us.

Sorry guys, let me rephrase the question. How many of those finals games were played in a salary cap cheating team and were eventually taken away from the club he played for and therefore do not count?

Sorry guys, let me rephrase the question. How many of those finals games were played in a salary cap cheating team and were eventually taken away from the club he played for and therefore do not count?

All of them. Yes those games do not count within the history books but the experience he gained from playing in those finals count immeasurably. Unless you are suggesting David Gallop went MIB on them?

Hey Adam... come here!

Screen-Shot-2011-12-12-at-1.14.58-PM.png

Finals experience doesn't mean shit in the NRL. They're not playing 7 games in 14 days or anything different at all. It's a meaningless stat.

"near flawless" .... "70 per cent success rate"

My parents must have been strict as shit because my 'near flawless' report cards were met only with disapproval.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Lozza
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Cavalo
  • lynx000
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Redux
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Spooky1013
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.