RIP Bob Hawke

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Rep
RIP Bob, how many Australians are alive today because of the vision and compassion of yourself and your government in bringing Medicare to life. The nation owes you a debt it can never repay.

A wave of emotion will sweep Labor to a comfortable victory on Saturday Night.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I'll give Scomo credit, his tribute was well done.

Meanwhile Tony Abbott should be launched into the deepest darkest part of space.
I think his mind has been there for awhile. Planet Cringe.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
RIP Hawke :( Absolute champion and Australian legend. His work to bring Medicare is arguably the greatest thing a politician has ever done to immeasurably improve the lives of ordinary people.

My mum and dad were immigrants some 40 years ago, and my dad had serious health issues and if it wasn't for Medicare it's likely we wouldn't have had enough money to feed the family, for us kids to get an education and more importantly, to live a comfortable life not worrying how you can afford the medical care to stay alive.

There's nothing more important than health and a system of government provided universal health care should never be taken for granted. Thanks for fighting for that Bob, I wasn't alive at the time but I have no doubt it would have been a political nightmare to try to pass through such massive changes.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Can we split the Bob Hawke posts into their own thread?

The legend at least deserves his own thread!

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
Former dick head prime minister Mr Abbott uses the death of an Australian icon to try to win votes.

roo-ted

NRL Player
I was watching a tribute of Hawke last night. Man! How politics have changed, the guy was knocking back a beer in half the footage, surrounded by beautiful women that were all over him lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.