13. Luke Ricketson

14. Dallas Hood
15. David Solomona
16. Shane Rigon
17. Craig Wing
Coach: Wayne BennettCoach: Graham Murray
Officials: Bill HarriganVenue: Stadium Australia

last day GF IIRC

Unfortunately, once again Facebook being a piece of shit so the game is only available on YouTube.

For such a low scoring game, it was actually a very comfortable win for the Broncos. They should have had more points on the board but just couldn't find that extra pass and the Chooks did well to hold on. A lot of pundits credit Phillips who came up with half a dozen try savers, but a lot of them were pretty easy asks, especially for a first grade fullback.

The Broncos would have ramped home their advantage if they didn't lose Ikin early in the second half. I remember it being a really ugly tackle from Bonetti and was shocked he was able to stay on the field.

Unlimited interchanges were nuts, the nine commentary team brings it up at one point and it's like 42 interchanges vs. 39, crazy.

After the game, Gus tried to talk down the Broncos season and labelled it a weak competition. The boys apparently called into one of his radio shows and gave him a gobful while they were celebrating their win. Gus was filthy about losing to the Broncos two years prior and being denied a home final despite being in the winners bracket. He didn't say anything when the Broncos found themselves in a similar situation in 02.

I have never seen this game, stopped watching footy around this time and it took a few years to pick it up again.

I have never seen this game, stopped watching footy around this time and it took a few years to pick it up again.

Really? Even when you started watching footy again, you never watched this game?

League used to be so good back 20 years ago, chancing the arm more regularly and no wrestle, it was great!

Really? Even when you started watching footy again, you never watched this game?

Yeah, never got around it. I've got the Broncos grand finals collection DVDs but it's been sitting in a box unopened. Really been enjoying these GF replays, haven't seen them for ages. I'm not a collector of old games so I only watched replays when I was at Dad's place and Foxtel had them on.

Me too. Super league and life distracted me from it from about 1998.

I don't think Super League was an issue for me, I remember going to Bronco's games at ANZ and Crushers games at Lang Park. I think it was just life.

Watching the 2006 GF at Suncorp Piazza in south bank brought it back for me, that was a tough time with Dad in hospital recovering from a quadruple bypass so I think it just gave me something good at a time I needed it.

Funny how we seem to consistently have smaller packs than the opposition in GFs but still win the forward battle. Quality over quantity.

Man the condition of that field is shithouse and that is being generous. Not as bad as the sandpit the redeveloped suncorp stadium was early on though.
[automerge]1590486997[/automerge]
What a hit from Thorn on Sing, an absolute beauty. That is a perfect example of a set play from a scrum leading to a try.

Last edited:
how was that not forward

how was that not forward
Yeah it was either forward or a knock on.
[automerge]1590487604[/automerge]
Not wrong about the unlimited interchange, the whole bench has been on already.

Last edited:
How the **** did he not get binned let alone sent off. Bloody Rorters.

Last edited:
cheap shot from Hegarty

Hehe yeah that 24th-ish minute hit from Carroll on whoever, absolutely hammered him, the ball went five metres forward and the touchie was right there. Say what you will about Hollywood Harrigan, at least he had the guts to make a call on the forward pass from Ikin to Locky early.

That Roosters left side ran scared, Carroll kept pole-axing everything that ran at him and you could see the fear.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Kev_Guz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • kman
  • Big Del
  • Rambstien
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.