PRE-GAME Round 14 - Eels vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

he could have done that last week but didn't ... Macca has lost the Broncos hooking role, his only chance of regaining it now is an injury to Turps ... maybe he should follow Bennett to Souths and see if he can be a starter under Bennett.

so far in his 13 weeks as Broncos coach he has done two things the majority of fans have been calling for for years (although many of the anti-seibs brigade are now complaining about him doing them)

1. got Nikorima out of half back
2. got Macca out of hooker

next to come Boyd out of fullback
Quite right. I hope he prompts Macca to retire gracefully and the club gives him a job in some capacity.

Boyd's going to be a tougher nut to crack being captain. Unlike Macca, he's been blatantly shit enough to warrant dropping. We'll know it's started when Seibs shifts him out of fullback.

But would he have given Turpin a go if Macca was not injured? Highly unlikely, a Bradbury moment in his favour.
I think he would have but we'll never know.
Point is he's proven it now my not allowing mc to step straight back into the 9. He also proved he could've by how he dealt with niko

I kind of hope it is on the line and he comes on and balls it up and we lose.. I know that sounds petty but I'm done with him after what I saw last week. Make it BLEEDINGLY OBVIOUS and Seibold will have all the amo he needs then.
Next is Boyd
Honestly, I don't think Macca will balls it up. He makes tons of tackles and almost never makes errors. You only realize how bad Macca is - specifically his lack of vision - when he's been replaced by someone else and the entire team lights up.

Honestly, I don't think Macca will balls it up. He makes tons of tackles and almost never makes errors. You only realize how bad Macca is - specifically his lack of vision - when he's been replaced by someone else and the entire team lights up.
Yes.. but last week he was overpaying his hand to get his jersey back and by actually trying hard to be creative for a change failed on mostly every attempt to find the right option.

I lost interest at “01”.

Seriously, Isaako to fullback (he literally cannot be any worse than Boyd right now) and Kennar to the wing - who I thought did really quite well in a beaten team.

Gillett captain.

I agree, Isaako is a confidence player. A shot at fullback would rejuvenate his form and recapture his swagger of 2018. Any young player hoping for another role in a team, would be head down, kicking stones if the current option in his preferred position was such a mediocre performer (but first picked because of his seniority).

Last edited:
Yes.. but last week he was overpaying his hand to get his jersey back and by actually trying hard to be creative for a change failed on mostly every attempt to find the right option.

Except what looked like a wrong option resulted in Turpin scoring a try. Turpin had no right to cut through that many defenders. Maybe he called for it. Either way, had Macca more game awareness that ball would've probably gone the other way.

Not everyone thought Macca had a shocker.

he could have done that last week but didn't ... Macca has lost the Broncos hooking role, his only chance of regaining it now is an injury to Turps ... maybe he should follow Bennett to Souths and see if he can be a starter under Bennett.

so far in his 13 weeks as Broncos coach he has done two things the majority of fans have been calling for for years (although many of the anti-seibs brigade are now complaining about him doing them)

1. got Nikorima out of half back
2. got Macca out of hooker

next to come Boyd out of fullback

Thats going to be the hard one because we dont have any other decent options at fullback.

I agree, Isaako is a confidence player. A shot at fullback would rejuvenate his form and recapture his swagger of 2018. Any young player hoping for another role in a team, would be head down, kicking stones if the current option in his preferred position was such a mediocre performer (but first picked because of his seniority).
I'm with you. He hasn't had a great season but he's still better under the high ball than Boyd. He at least jumps for it, rather than squats on his haunches and falls backwards, like Boyd.

If I were Seib, at the first sign of classic Darius defence, I'd switch Isaako to fullback and Boyd into the centres. That will expose both of them, plus if there's one thing Boyd can still do it's pass. The more balls we get to Oates, the more we score.

If Darius ***** that up, it's time to drop him.

Last edited:
Thats going to be the hard one because we dont have any other decent options at fullback.

That's what you, and others were saying about the hooking position.

We had Roberts, we still have Milford and Isaako. Bird, Staggs or Shibasaki could tear it up ala Hodges-2006 style. Never say never.

Last edited:
But would he have given Turpin a go if Macca was not injured? Highly unlikely, a Bradbury moment in his favour.

No, because Turpin wasn't in the senior squad.

An injury had to occur in order for him to get an opportunity.

To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed but at the same time, I know it’s probably the most realistic way that Boyd stay at full back and Macca is still in top 17.

If I’m anywhere near the coach’s ear, I’d tell him with Macca have to remain in top 17 given his history, I probably will keep my bench as

14, Macca
16, Flegler
17, Carrigan
21, Seg

By given this bench, I’d use Seg as utility hooker for Turpin, they two are our best options for hookerabd they are Weapons!

I use only two forward Carrigan and Flegler for longer time, play Haas as long as he could handle, the boy really need hard work to boost his confidence post Origin I.
And I will give Macca limited minutes, play him in the middle just like Seibold used to use the fourth forward.

So in this way I still use Macca but also I’ll minimize the impact he has on the team.

No, because Turpin wasn't in the senior squad.

An injury had to occur in order for him to get an opportunity.
Turpin should've kept the hooking job when he first got it last year. It was as obvious then as it is now. I don't know why I got so much pushback for saying that. And I wasn't the only one saying it. The amount of bullshit excuses that came back. Macca should never have been selected week one.

That's what you, and others were saying about the hooking position.

We had Roberts, we still have Milford and Isaako. Bird, Staggs or Shibasaki could tear it up ala Hodges-2006 style. Never say never.

We didnt have many options at hooker. Turpin wasnt banging down the door in ISC, and we didnt have Seggy. Turpin to his credit, has kicked the door down and made the position his own.

I'm saying never with Issako at fullback because he just doesnt have the talent for that role. If he gets in there, he will just be a stop gap. The only thing Issako will offer us at fullback is more mobility. There is no comparison between Turpin coming in at hooker and Issako switching to fullback. Turpin has always had the tools, its whether he could transfer them. Issako simply doesnt have the tools for a fullback in the current game. Issako is just a poor mans Josh Hoffman who can kick goals. Take his goal kicking away, he just hasnt been that great this year.

If you are also trying to say Shiba or Staggs would be fullback options you are kidding yourself. They wont be moving anywhere, and they dont have the game for fullback either.

Exactly, and fortuitous for our Win column.

Not exactly. The squad wasn't situated where he could give Turpin an opportunity otherwise.

On performances, you could see why the club didn't go out of there way.

There is a couple of lessons to learn about the Turpin situation, and I don't think we've seen it all yet.

Not exactly. The squad wasn't situated where he could give Turpin an opportunity otherwise.

On performances, you could see why the club didn't go out of there way.

There is a couple of lessons to learn about the Turpin situation, and I don't think we've seen it all yet.

I watch Reddy most weeks, and Turps just wasnt performing well enough ( admittedly for a very poor Dolphins side, and he hasnt played that much for them this year ) to put any real pressure on Macca. He could be a bit like Gagai at origin level tbf to him in that he seems to perform better the higher he goes. One thing with him is i've seen him for Reddy play like he does for us with his intensity, but after a while you can see it takes its toll on him and he has huge form dips. As he gets older, he hopefully will manage that better, but his body takes a pounding and he will need breaks.

We didnt have many options at hooker. Turpin wasnt banging down the door in ISC, and we didnt have Seggy. Turpin to his credit, has kicked the door down and made the position his own.
Turpin killed it last year when he covered for Macca. It was light and day. That Macca had to go was as obvious as Kodi and Milford were never going to work as a halves combination. The excuse trotted out was Seibold didn't want to upset the status quo with mass changes. Which doesn't really cut it when you're bottom of the table.

Yes definitely. After all, he was meant to be next cab off the rank and Dearden was still finding his feet. He mightn't be the future, but I doubt he'll let us down.
Looking forward to it. At least we didn't put in Turps at 7 and kept him at 9. Let's hope though from the start he plays like a dominant 7 calling the shots and not become a passenger to Milf.

Active Now

• marw
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.