vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, appreciate it. Yeah I am. I've got more planned as well. POTY Leaderboard, head-to-head etc.. As soon as I can decide on a design.
You do freelance design work?

Not sure if it’s just being a little deflated post a rash of injuries or PTSD from previous Storm encounters, but my hopes are super low for this game.
That's fair enough, but there are reasons to be cheerful.

EXPECTATION

Broncos vs Storm is like the Bledisloe Cup of RL. Melbourne being NZ. We expect to lose. We usually do. Penrith might be this years girl, but our problems against Melbourne go back to inception. They're deep rooted and psychological. Like we're playing our former selves.​
If you were to ask any Broncos fan in the middle of last season, during preseason, at the beginning of this season, any time really, what would be the outcome of this match, the answer wouldn't be any different from now. With Reynolds, without Reynolds, we never expected to win this one. We still don't. We can.​
We've managed to outperform expectations all season. And one we didn't, the Cowboys, turns out we underestimated them badly. Everyone did. Like the Storm is underestimating us.​
REALITY

While the Broncos see this match as the litmus test of the season, sadly the Storm doesn't. It's just another game for them. They'll turn up. Like every week. We will ambush them. Players will get hurt. Hopefully only theirs.​
Our forward pack is about as full strength as you could hope. We're carrying a few bruises and misfiring on a couple of cylinders thanks to ongoing injuries, but our reserve depth says our pack aren't the underdogs. Carrigan, Flegler, Haas and Capewell: these blokes are top tier.​
Our spine is weak; there's no way to sugarcoat it. But it's been playing to Kev's formula. With and without Reynolds that's been working because our edges have been watertight and ruthless. And our new fullback isn't bleeding points. Tonight won't be much different.​
Melbourne isn't full strength either. Pap and Coates (don't laugh) are their top tryscorers. We're better for their loss.​
INCENTIVE

A win tonight, especially a win without Reynolds, isn't just a wake-up call to the competition and validation of our top 4 status, it will be a mighty klaxon blast heralding us as grand final contenders capable of upsetting anyone on the night. A modest loss will play to expectations and position on the table. Most are expecting a heavy loss. Not going to happen.​
Individually, we have incentives across the board:​
Oates & Flegler: nothing short of an Origin trial. Flegler will be mental. Bank that.​
Martin & Riki: NZ beckons. A first for Jordan.​
Haas: desperate to win back Broncos fans and also prove his worth to other clubs.​
Staggs: big danger of being dropped by NSW. Another trial.​
Mam: must own the 6 before Tyson recovers.​
Walters: facing No.1 hooker in the comp. Still unsigned.​
Palasia: regular but off contract next season.​
Turpin & Roberts: not just unrated but roundly maligned. Literally playing for their careers.​
THE HANDICAP
No one is pumped to see Tyrone Roberts get his chance, and not many more to see the return of Jake Turpin. Tonight could realistically be Tyrone's swansong in the NRL. Or it could be the highlight of the reel his agent shops around for his next contract. He has everything to prove. His rugby league career literally hangs by the thread of his performance tonight. Jake, not quite as desperate, and he'll get a few games after tonight, but he too is playing for his career. Jake has it in him. We've seen it. But not for a long time.​
Brenko in for Herbie is less dramatic. His future looks safe at the Dolphins so we can only hope he puts in. Fans will miss Herbie, particularly his tireless defence, but Brenko will not be a gaping talent hole who'll cost us the game. Unlike Roberts in for Reynolds, there's even a chance the one time Origin rep might even be an improvement on Herbie. A chance, I said. A chance. Enough already.​
If Carrigan and Flegler can make Munster hurt every time he touches the football, we'll get them on the back foot. We've put every team in the last couple of months on that foot. We can do it again tonight.​
CONCLUSION
Write off the Brisbane Broncos at your peril. The worst scenario is we fall to 5th on the table.​

EXPECTATION

Broncos vs Storm is like the Bledisloe Cup of RL. Melbourne being NZ. We expect to lose. We usually do. Penrith might be this years girl, but our problems against Melbourne go back to inception. They're deep rooted and psychological. Like we're playing our former selves.​
If you were to ask any Broncos fan in the middle of last season, during preseason, at the beginning of this season, any time really, what would be the outcome of this match, the answer wouldn't be any different from now. With Reynolds, without Reynolds, we never expected to win this one. We still don't. We can.​
We've managed to outperform expectations all season. And one we didn't, the Cowboys, turns out we underestimated them badly. Everyone did. Like the Storm is underestimating us.​
REALITY

While the Broncos see this match as the litmus test of the season, sadly the Storm doesn't. It's just another game for them. They'll turn up. Like every week. We will ambush them. Players will get hurt. Hopefully only theirs.​
Our forward pack is about as full strength as you could hope. We're carrying a few bruises and misfiring on a couple of cylinders thanks to ongoing injuries, but our reserve depth says our pack aren't the underdogs. Carrigan, Flegler, Haas and Capewell: these blokes are top tier.​
Our spine is weak; there's no way to sugarcoat it. But it's been playing to Kev's formula. With and without Reynolds that's been working because our edges have been watertight and ruthless. And our new fullback isn't bleeding points. Tonight won't be much different.​
Melbourne isn't full strength either. Pap and Coates (don't laugh) are their top tryscorers. We're better for their loss.​
INCENTIVE

A win tonight, especially a win without Reynolds, isn't just a wake-up call to the competition and validation of our top 4 status, it will be a mighty klaxon blast heralding us as grand final contenders capable of upsetting anyone on the night. A modest loss will play to expectations and position on the table. Most are expecting a heavy loss. Not going to happen.​
Oates & Flegler: nothing short of an Origin trial. Flegler will be mental. Bank that.​
Haas: desperate to win back Broncos fans and also prove his worth to other clubs.​
Turpin & Roberts: not just unrated but roundly maligned. Literally playing for their careers.​
THE HANDICAP
No one is pumped to see Tyrone Roberts get his chance, and not many more to see the return of Jake Turpin. Tonight could realistically be Tyrone's swansong in the NRL. Or it could be the highlight of the reel his agent shops around for his next contract. He has everything to prove. His rugby league career literally hangs by the thread of his performance tonight. Jake, not quite as desperate, and he'll get a few games after tonight, but he too is playing for his career. Jake has it in him. We've seen it. But not for a long time.​
Brenko in for Herbie is less dramatic. His future looks safe at the Dolphins so we can only hope he puts in. Fans will miss Herbie, particularly his tireless defence, but Brenko will not be a gaping talent hole who'll cost us the game. Unlike Roberts in for Reynolds, there's even a chance the one time Origin rep might even be an improvement on Herbie. A chance, I said. A chance. Enough already.​
CONCLUSION
Write off the Brisbane Broncos at your peril. The worst scenario is we fall to 5th on the table.​
**** that's a brilliant analysis mate, kudos.

EXPECTATION

REALITY

INCENTIVE

THE HANDICAP
If Carrigan and Flegler can make Munster hurt every time he touches the football, we'll get them on the back foot. We've put every team in the last couple of months on that foot. We can do it again tonight.​
CONCLUSION

Flegler reminds me of year 8 English with his Of Mice and Men head.

Flegler reminds me of year 8 English with his Of Mice and Men head.
Rabbits, you say?

Remote

My thoughts are that broncos need to dominate in the forward pack, really need to get us on the front foot
If the ref allows us to play and let's the game become an arm wrestle, like a typical top tier game is allowed to be (i.e. leeway in the penalty department), then it should be a good game.

Our forward pack is 'better' than theirs, but their forward pack is smarter and know the intricacies of the game better than ours.

For us to win we need to be able to bash their pack and dominate the meter game... if the ref doesn't allow that to happen and gives the storm leg ups out of their own end, then I expect the smarter forward pack to dominate the ruck and win the field position territory.

We have not yet shown that we can be a 'smarter' forward pack just yet... we have shown improvement with fitness and aggression, but whether that also translates to being smarter footy players could be on display tonight.

So, tonight's live game thread is going to be a thing to behold. lol
I hope we do well, but my hopes are not high. I'd settle for somewhat competitive (losing by less than 18)
I have zero faith in roberts.

Kevvie has worked under Belly and will know what to expect and might also know a few tricks to negate Belly's nonsense. Lee, Turps and Walters have all played in the Storm system so should have some inside knowledge in their shapes. All in all I think this might be the most genned up we've on the storm ever.

If Roberts holds his own and is able to go the 80 I give us a fair to reasonable chance of winning here. It won't be easy as we all know but I have a feeling that Raiders game was that 'forged under fire' game that instills incredible belief and self-confidence in a team.

The only concern is how badly bruised we are from last week.

Storm love throwing the ball around, ever since the 6 again rules they have fully invested in the hot potato strategy of playing, which is good for them since they train to always be in positions to get offloads and short balls without the player having to look for them, only issue is if they get dominated in the middle they will almost certainly get fatigued early and the flood gates will open at the end.

Reynolds will be a big loss but if our forwards can play to the best ability and Roberts can have a steady game to the level of what Gamble could provide I think we have a chance, granted Turpin will need to play at a level he hasn't for years.

Storm have lost to every Top 5 team they have played against this year, we are the only one left to face them.

I'm happy to eat my words here after tonight, but I would contend that Roberts is not even remotely close to being NRL standard. I'd rather throw Staggs into the halves (as terrible as that would probably be against the storm) and filling in his centre spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.