Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

If Bellamy was here I think there’d be a good chance he’d be having the same problems we are currently experiencing.
At the storm Bellamy has an experienced and talented leadership group who drive his detailed effort and attitude methodology.
I believe seibold is trying to implement similar systems here but is running into a few problems.
Leadership being the main one.
Unfortunately Darius is way out of form and not fit to lead this very young team and help drive seibolds methods, especially in this time of transition. Changing habit patterns individually and or collectively is never easy and can take time to adjust as it is.
Maybe having a young squad is beneficial in this regard as they may yet to have ingrained bad habits, but leadership is still key.

I’m willing to give seibold a few years to create the squad and leadership group that he feels can help drive his methods because in the long run it’ll be worth it, and if the board aren’t going to do the same they should just get rid of seibold now.

Easy. This is the clean out that we had to have.

Some deadwood has been shed but the rest of the team is going backwards as well. We went from being a genuine contender to 'rebuilding' because we were going so poorly. Whatever, my piece has been said on it I'll just go back to not commenting on the bloke. Hopefully he's a genius and next year is better.

Andrew McCullough's career is a fascinating case study.

Even deep into his career, after racking up many, many games, he was still being talked about as a player of potential.

He's now considered a veteran. We probably can't get rid of him because of his experience.

I'm wondering when did he really establish himself? When was he consistently at his best?

2015? When he finally cracked Origin last year? Two years?

I'm amazed at his longevity. He was the Broncos hooker in 2009 and is the Broncos hooker in 2019.

How has he lasted so long? I think part of it is lack of depth in a key position. Over the years, I think only Jake Granville has probably emerged as a serious contender for the number 9 jersey. I would've liked to have kept him.

Perhaps the lesson is keep your head down. Don't make waves. Say nothing. Be a good bloke.
Or is it no other team has ever come knocking. Was the idea he is dependable. At some point he was a value for money type player. But these days he actually is costly. He affects the whole team in attack with a slow pass and offering nothing around the ruck.

These days you need so much more from hooker then just distributing the ball and making tackles. He has not developed with the game. You can look around the comp and see he is behind big time in attack. He is not a threat at all. Even defence he is not that great as he despite involvement he doesn't control tackles well.

Not trying to be picky, but at those points, we really did have basically an Origin side on our roster.

Even if you'd dispute that point, no one would argue that both those sides featured infinitely more talent than we currently possess.

I agree those sides were better on paper but I still think with the players we had available at the start of the year we should be making the top 8 and now that is not going to happen.

I respectfully disagree. It’s going to take another year to sort out the contractual shitpile that he inherited and then make quality signings. It’ll be 2021 before we get a chance to see a proper AS team. At the end of 21, then we’ll have enough information as to whether we should proceed. Any decision before that will simply be shooting ourselves in the foot.
That was not in the brochure and the power point presentation. Not having a go but if a potential candidate for a head coach position of Brisbane Broncos stated in a interview that 2021 is when you will see improvement in this side; he would not have gotten the job. Did we go through a Tinkler like **** up in 2018? WTF are these people doing?

I just meant, what does his age have to do with it? Like the saying ' if you're good enough you're old enough ' or in this case you're young enough.
He’s almost 70.

The chances of him not being able to coach (or coach well if you’d prefer) much longer, for a number of different reasons, are much higher than someone who is 40-50.

It really is that simple.

I guess what I’m trying to say is; if you’re lucky enough, Father Time catches up with everyone.

I respectfully disagree. It’s going to take another year to sort out the contractual shitpile that he inherited and then make quality signings. It’ll be 2021 before we get a chance to see a proper AS team. At the end of 21, then we’ll have enough information as to whether we should proceed. Any decision before that will simply be shooting ourselves in the foot.
I disagree - I am not sure if you follow european football/soccer, but this idea is trotted out frequently and most of the time ends up being total bullshit - money wasted, time wasted, careers wasted.

A coach needs to coach first and foremost and show that he can improve the team through that alone. Thus far, we haven't seen any evidence of that. I think the onus is on him to show that although he might not have some of the cattle to play his style, he still can put an obvious blueprint on the team and improve some of the players. Can you honestly say any player looks better under Seibold than they did under WB?

Last edited:

So where do you think we’ll Finnish in 2020?

Proper AS team...Kenner, Fensom, Kennedy, hmmm??

Conjecture at best, were you there?

That may well have been exactly what the club wanted after the last decade and more of disappointment.
But mate it makes no sense to me, yes only my opinion based on unicorn farts...if you need a rebuild and a clean up of that extent it is not a coach that is the only issue. There would be fundamental changes in how the place is run, from the bottom up. I might have missed it but l don't think that is happening here.

If Bellamy was here I think there’d be a good chance he’d be having the same problems we are currently experiencing.
At the storm Bellamy has an experienced and talented leadership group who drive his detailed effort and attitude methodology.
I believe seibold is trying to implement similar systems here but is running into a few problems.
Leadership being the main one.
Unfortunately Darius is way out of form and not fit to lead this very young team and help drive seibolds methods, especially in this time of transition. Changing habit patterns individually and or collectively is never easy and can take time to adjust as it is.
Maybe having a young squad is beneficial in this regard as they may yet to have ingrained bad habits, but leadership is still key.

I’m willing to give seibold a few years to create the squad and leadership group that he feels can help drive his methods because in the long run it’ll be worth it, and if the board aren’t going to do the same they should just get rid of seibold now.

Imagine the screaming in the coaches box if bellamy was here. And when he’s not screaming he’d have his head buried in his hands. For his heath alone I’m glad he isn’t here this year.

Last edited:
I disagree - I am not sure if you follow european football/soccer, but this idea is trotted out frequently and most of the time ends up being total bullshit - money wasted, time wasted, careers wasted.

Money and time have already been wasted, unfortunately - that's how we got into this mess. In terms of careers wasted - is there anyone on this team that we could say has been or would be wasted? I usually think of this in terms of a window of opportunity while a team has one or more greats. So the window when we had Locky (wasted), the window when we had Hodges (wasted). There's no one on this team who I'd say we're really wasting their talent. The majority have the time to wait and work to turn around the teams's fortunes over the next three to five year span. I feel for guys like Glenn and Gillett, who are probably going to retire without a premiership win (at least if they stay in Brisbane). Guys like Boyd and Macca... well, I could care less.

So, to me, investing this time is wise and pretty necessary. Other people's mileage will of course vary.

Yeah, that’s what’s needed imho. Fundamental changes club-wide. It does take more than half a season though.
What makes you think that?

I think this is all being blown out of proportion, we simply have an unproven coach with a few veterans on big money that need the tap on the shoulder. Whether the unproven coach is upto that, and is able to have the team playing better than they are currently is all yet to be determined. Let's stop with the narrative that we are the western magpies 99 incarnate.

Money and time have already been wasted, unfortunately - that's how we got into this mess. In terms of careers wasted - is there anyone on this team that we could say has been or would be wasted? I usually think of this in terms of a window of opportunity while a team has one or more greats. So the window when we had Locky (wasted), the window when we had Hodges (wasted). There's no one on this team who I'd say we're really wasting their talent. The majority have the time to wait and work to turn around the teams's fortunes over the next three to five year span. I feel for guys like Glenn and Gillett, who are probably going to retire without a premiership win (at least if they stay in Brisbane). Guys like Boyd and Macca... well, I could care less.

So, to me, investing this time is wise and pretty necessary. Other people's mileage will of course vary.

I'm arguing from the perspective that let's give Seibold till the end of 2021 to prove he's the right man for the job. I think giving blanket guarantees means you're accepting failure, and that to me is unacceptable.

I have no issues giving time to someone that can prove they are moving in the right direction. The facts at this stage speak for themselves though, no one has improved under his watch and our results have been disastrous. I'm not saying we should have kept WB, I was quite happy to give someone else a go, but let's not be ignorant to the idea that at the moment we look absolutely shithouse and that isn't indicative of a coach that knows what they're doing. Let's face it, if Seibold had been a premiership winning coach, or even a coach that had been around for 5+ years, there would be more leeway on him being given time to get it right as he would've presumably had runs on the board in the aforementioned scenario. The fact is, he doesn't. He was coach for one year, in a team that was already assembled for him and had already won a premiership ergo had a winning mentality.
[automerge]1561943898[/automerge]
The way I see it is that there’s never been a good direction without WB. That says to me that the administration are pretty useless. We all know WB gets what he wants which shows that without him we are crippled. That’s not the way a successful club is run imo.
The board should be held accountable too, but if the board goes hey Seibold is the man for the job, than obviously partial blame needs to go the coach too. It can't be none of his fault, and he needs to prove to himself, to the board, and to the fans, that he's the right choice.

No one (reasonable) is deathriding him, but there is nothing wrong with having a healthy dose of skepticism on whether we made the right choice.

Last edited:
I agree those sides were better on paper but I still think with the players we had available at the start of the year we should be making the top 8 and now that is not going to happen.
Oh don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree that this roster was comfortably good enough to make the bottom half of the Top 8 and not doing so should count as a failure.

Just pointing out that I think Bennett not making the finals with those early rosters was probably a worse result given the talent available to him at the time.

To be fair though seibold doesn’t like this team and sadly for him he can’t just go in one months time from now have the answer....
He cannot just bench every player and too be fair it wasn’t even the forward packs fault this game it was 9,7,6,4,3 & 2 the whole backline virtually played rubbish and there is a fairly easy fix to it and this time it is sacking them and reshuffles
1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Coates
4. Staggs
5. Isaako
6.Paix
7.O’sullivan
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (C)
12. Gillett (C)
13 TPJ
14. Segeyaro (Staggs once Bird is back)
15. Flegler
16. Ofehangue
17. Fifita jnr
I have no more tolerance for Boyd,
Pat carrigan or shibasaki.... however McCullough did play horribly in that first half however that short stint in the first half may hav kept his respect as a footballer from the club and many fans so he may keep his spot starting with turnin on the bench and segeyaro back at q-cup
Honestly I'd love to see this team. I'd possibly be okay with Isaako at Fullback, Milford at 6 and someone else on the wing (not sure our options).

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • MrTickyMcG
  • marw
  • LittleDavey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosAlways
  • Organix
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.