Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Surely the bunker has its own feed, at whatever max quality the footage is being recorded at? It's not like they're just watching it on a spare TV.

I dunno. It’s the nrl we’re talking about

Surely the bunker has its own feed, at whatever max quality the footage is being recorded at? It's not like they're just watching it on a spare TV.
Although, if they were watching it in an old black and white tv with rabbit ears, that would explain the decisions that come out of there. [emoji14]

The bunker on Sunday night
Screenshot 20190709 061751

It’s quite amazing. You would think that kneeing someone in the head would be pretty easy to condemn and a free kick for the media, yet Yvonne Sampson can’t even get that right. The only commentator I have seen who has no issue with the knee to the head but thinks Lodge should be suspended for kicking out in retaliation. She has slowly but surely turned into a joke which is disappointing because at one stage she seemed like the only decent reporter out there.

It’s quite amazing. You would think that kneeing someone in the head would be pretty easy to condemn and a free kick for the media, yet Yvonne Sampson can’t even get that right. The only commentator I have seen who has no issue with the knee to the head but thinks Lodge should be suspended for kicking out in retaliation. She has slowly but surely turned into a joke which is disappointing because at one stage she seemed like the only decent reporter out there.

I think her bias is showing, she just really, REALLY hates Lodge. Did you see the 1 on 1 interview she had with him after he got his contract registered with us? It was brutal, she really went after him.

I think her bias is showing, she just really, REALLY hates Lodge. Did you see the 1 on 1 interview she had with him after he got his contract registered with us? It was brutal, she really went after him.
We had a whole thread on that from memory, or maybe it was just in a Matt Lodge thread. About the article she wrote on him as well. It was a pretty big argument iirc. Some of her loverboys couldn't handle criticism of her, I wonder if they've changed their tune.

Are you referring to the Big League Wrap segment @broncos4life ? Or did she have another crack?

It was a pretty strange line of questioning. It was like she didn't get the response she was after from Ennis and Hooper so she asked Brett Morris how he'd feel if he had his legs swept underneath him and was penalised for it.

I don't think it was that big a deal, but it was a strange question to ask Brett Morris and you could see he had to tip-toe around it to eventually express his opinion on the matter. Which was to agree with Ennis and Hooper.

On the whole, Fox have been extremely positive about this win, almost to the point where they're grandstanding on the Broncos behalf.

9 on the other hand have gone in the other direction, which is funny to see play out.

Are you referring to the Big League Wrap segment @broncos4life ? Or did she have another crack?

It was a pretty strange line of questioning. It was like she didn't get the response she was after from Ennis and Hooper so she asked Brett Morris how he'd feel if he had his legs swept underneath him and was penalised for it.

I don't think it was that big a deal, but it was a strange question to ask Brett Morris and you could see he had to tip-toe around it to eventually express his opinion on the matter. Which was to agree with Ennis and Hooper.

On the whole, Fox have been extremely positive about this win, almost to the point where they're grandstanding on the Broncos behalf.

9 on the other hand have gone in the other direction, which is funny to see play out.
Kent on 360 was totally gobsmacked that Flannigan didn't miss any time. Even Buzz was agreeing that one of his sharks boys should've been suspended.

Ikin seemed to be pushing for Lodge to get suspended as well.

Funny how the hosts (potentially with a producer in their ear) are pushing for suspension on Lodge, but their counterparts can't understand why Flannigan didn't cop more for a blatant knee to the head.

Actually, it's like they are not watching it at all :)

Anybody talking about the Sharks missed conversions is just looking for a reason to be negative.

Sure, they should have had at least 4 points more, but they didn't

It's not like they kicked the ball through the goals but the touchies got the call wrong, they actually didn't earn the points

But if you want to bang on about what the Sharks should have got, you have to talk about the Coates try that wasn't given but should have been and Morris' double movement that was given

Bottom line, the better team won

Anybody talking about the Sharks missed conversions is just looking for a reason to be negative.

Sure, they should have had at least 4 points more, but they didn't

It's not like they kicked the ball through the goals but the touchies got the call wrong, they actually didn't earn the points

But if you want to bang on about what the Sharks should have got, you have to talk about the Coates try that wasn't given but should have been and Morris' double movement that was given

Bottom line, the better team won
Saying we got a bit lucky the Sharks couldn't kick a cow in the guts doesn't mean someone's looking for an excuse to be negative. We won which is good for confidence but it was a narrow victory against a team who didn't really help themselves. We'll need to be a lot better if we want to keep winning. For mine the Broncos were always the type of team who decided for themselves if they would win or lose, not the type of team that relies on the opposition flubbing it.

Saying we got a bit lucky the Sharks couldn't kick a cow in the guts doesn't mean someone's looking for an excuse to be negative. We won which is good for confidence but it was a narrow victory against a team who didn't really help themselves. We'll need to be a lot better if we want to keep winning. For mine the Broncos were always the type of team who decided for themselves if they would win or lose, not the type of team that relies on the opposition flubbing it.

It is if you choose to only look at half the picture

If you're going to count the points they missed because of not kicking goals, then you have to count the points we missed by being dudded by the video ref - or don't look at any of the what ifs. I'm happy either way, but you can't choose to count some and not others

It is if you choose to only look at half the picture

If you're going to count the points they missed because of not kicking goals, then you have to count the points we missed by being dudded by the video ref - or don't look at any of the what ifs. I'm happy either way, but you can't choose to count some and not others
I'm not saying the Sharks deserved to win. I'm saying I'm happy with the team's effort and improvement but they're going to have to keep getting better because we can't rely on the opposition stuffing up every week.

Yeah I did see that, a guess unbiased reporting is asking too much.

I'm amazed that some fans would pick holes in that victory. Eight rookies including 3 debutantes and another playing his first game for the club along with two veterans whose careers are on life support against a side containing the likes of Johnson, Gallen, Prior, Dugan, Morris, Moylan etc. The Sharks should have won by 50.

Yes, there was some luck involved and yes, the Sharks were awful and yes, it was a low standard game. But in a season of woe in a club whose immediate future is bleak, today's effort was nothing short of miraculous. Downplaying the performance is a bit unfair. It may not impact the season much but it may have been a little peak into the future.

Fantastic post, @Accept.

Also, goal kicking has been made a point of on Sunday. If the Sharks could kick a goal we'd have a very different tone in the post-match thread.

A game that springs to mind regarding this tangent was the first Origin game in 1998.

NSW scored 5 tries to 4. Andrew Johns only managed to land 1 from 5 goals though. Meanwhile, Lockyer nailed all 4 of his.

Game One 2004. QLD lost by a field goal despite scoring two tries to one.

That's footy.

Anyways, getting back to your post. This is a phenomenon that I find fascinating. It's not just Broncos fans. I think some die-hard fans, from all sports and walks of life, sometimes absolutely refuse to believe what they are seeing.

I first began to notice this mindset once Jake Turpin made his debut last year.

So much was made about who we were playing that day. It's hilarious.

I thought it was a terrific performance for a first timer but people were quick to point out it was only against the Gold Coast Titans.

That same team that beat a stronger Broncos side earlier in the year. When that is pointed out not even the crickets chirp at it.

Anyways, he backed it up against Manly but, again, don't get too excited - it was only against the Sea Eagles.

Let's see how he goes against the Roosters...

Why stop there? Let's grab an Infinity Gauntlet and snap our fingers. Let's re-create the greatest NSW team of all time - Johns, Fittler, Daley, Ettingshausen, Spud, Chief... all at the peak of their powers.

Let's see how he goes then...

Well, we beat the Roosters too this year. That win counted. Jim and Stifler from American Pie - that totally counted!

Except it didn't. Y'see the Roosters were missing some key players and were a bit 'flat' after some big games and-

- No. It totally counted, mate. I'm taking Turpin for real from now on...

There was a good example in 2017. The Cowboys didn't deserve to get to the Grand Final. Every other team under-performed.

They were flogged by the Storm so that pretty much proves it.

Yeah but I reckon the Storm would've flogged anyone that night so it proves jack fucking shit, I think.

Back in 2000, Phil Gould said the Broncos didn't really win the premiership. Every other team underachieved.

In 2003, the Penrith Panthers were quoted as being 100/1 to win the premiership...

Yeah but it was the rain...yeah but the Roosters shit the bed that night.

Perhaps this is just a logical extension of that.

Consider Cricket and its recent developments. Australia defeated Sri Lanka to finish last summer on a relatively positive note. It was against Sri Lanka though so it doesn't count.

Let's look at Tennis recently. So, I was reading the other day Bernard Tomic was fined for not playing up to "required professional standards."

His opponent, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, thought the fine devalued his win. Like, he only won because the other guy can't be bothered playing to his best. It's insulting.

I think Tsonga he has a point.

Imagine what the people running Tennis would've thought of QLD's lifeless performance in Game 2 in Perth. The number of fines dished out to them would've paid off our nation's national debt.

I think it's a bizarre way to look at sport.

When is a win legitimate? Also, when is it only because the opposition just didn't turn up?

When does it count? What, exactly, are we "counting"?

You could literally go back to every game since 1908 and question every result or come up with a "yeah, but" BS reason for why the team that won didn't deserve to or how "the better side lost."

I don't understand it but it's very amusing to read and talk about.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • eggstar10
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Galah
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.