Round 17 Discussion

Jarryd Hayne. Those 9 games that won him the Dally M were great and really showed what he could achieve but the rest of his career was not even close to that level. Then he went to waste the talent he had pursuing NFL and claimed to have achieved everything in rugby league.

images

Nope, Haynes potential compared to what he achieved/did every week wasn't close to what it should have been. He had a much higher upside than Dave Taylor and yet has done just as much. Hayne has two more tries in Origin and has played more than double the games. Taylor has just as many premierships, although he did play one game for the 2006 premiership winning team and your 2nd club, the Brisbane Broncos. Both have played around 180 games each in the NRL and neithe have a hell of a lot to show for it.

Jarryd Hayne. Those 9 games that won him the Dally M were great and really showed what he could achieve but the rest of his career was not even close to that level. Then he went to waste the talent he had pursuing NFL and claimed to have achieved everything in rugby league.

Would be inclined to agree with that. When he is on and he has his good spells, he has been devastating. Problem is, he has been quite ordinary for a lot of the time he was at the Eels. Too wrapped up in himself imo.

I'm curious why the Rapana try was awarded..

Hodgson was offside when the ball was kicked, and he kept running and got within 10 where Rapana caught the ball.

Shouldn't that have been a penalty? I've seen those penalized before.

Tipped Manly to win this one, they are over due for a win and I think they might jag it against the Dragons tonight.

I'm on 7/7 in the tipping, the Dragqueens better win or I'll be cranky!

What a first half from Manly. They've been all over the Dragons and while it took some time, once they got on the board there was no looking back.

St George haven't been in this game at all. It's going to take some second half for them to come back into this. In Round 14 we saw a remarkable comeback from the Panthers against the Sea Eagles, but I don't think the Dragons are capable of that type of football.

Commiserations LittleDavey.

I'm 6/7 and on the Sheep Eagles tonight !

FMD St George are bad. Is Brett Stewarts career over? Surely this must be his last season, he really hit the wall this year

[MENTION=8255]LittleDavey83[/MENTION]

I know it sucks, mate.

I know what it's like to have a perfect round going into the last game and the team you tip loses. Missed out on 8k because of it.

And with that, Manly break their worst losing streak since 1999 (a club record 8 losses). It's been a few weeks in the making for them. As I mentioned earlier they were well in control in Round 14 until the Panthers made a big comeback. Before then, they came very close to beating the Sharks only to fall short and you can say the same about their Round 16 loss to the Cowboys.

For the most part, they have the right players in the right positions.

Trbojevic is the future at fullback, Walker is a much better centre than playmaker, Cherry-Evans has his moments and Koroisau seems to perform better when he knows he can pace himself. The pack has also been a lot better. Lussick maybe in career best form at the moment, Taupau is a handful and capable of strong carries, Buhrer is an underrated player on the that right fringe and Trbojevic maybe the best defensive player in the game. I also thought Green had the best game of his career tonight against his former club.

Combine that with a really solid bench of Brown, Starling and Fonua-Blake who is really coming into his own as a prospect and it's no surprise.

The Dragons were woeful tonight and I'm glad they got beaten as badly as they did. They're a middle of the road, directionless side and they need a huge wake-up call if they ever want to be real contenders in the premiership race. I think their forwards are OK, but the creative players, the ones responsible for points offer very little.

I've said it before, but they need to go in a new direction and look to promote players from within the club. The first change I'd make is dropping Benji for Drew Hutchinson. Hutchinson has been serving his apprenticeship in the NSW Cup since 2014. It's time to give him a shot and see what he's capable of.

Maybe I'm speaking out of school and their form in the NSW Cup and NYC haven't warranted selection but I find it difficult to believe that Jacob Host is the only young gun capable of playing first grade. There's got to be more talent around, surely.

lol thanks for the support guys :p Hmph. Fucking Dragons. And fucking Manly. What a choice haha....**** them both!

Manly's first try, I'm not sure how they could **** that up.

In all angles, you can see separation.

In the reverse angle, you can see the letters on the signage in between the arm and the ball, which means there was separation..

How does the NRL expect people to have faith in the bunker if they can't get simple decisions like that correct? It made no difference to the result, but they still shouldn't be fucking up like that. Not with the technology they have.

Maybe because the NRL want quicker decisions, they are put under pressure?

Not sure, but one day a team is going to lose a Grand Final on a decision the bunker got wrong.

Even with human error, the bunker should be getting at least 98% of the calls correct.

They already cost the Knights this weekend. Technically, Rapana's try should not have been awarded.

Last edited:
Yeah, that one.
What was wrong with it? I only watched the highlights, on first glance it seemed like they drop kicked it, it hit the pole and it bounced back for Rapana to catch and score?

Last edited:
I thought Rapana or the other Raider was offside too.

Edit: just found the highlights replay, Rapana is line-ball offside. Raiders #9 is definitely offside, but does he get within the 10m? Not too clear.

Last edited:
I'm talking about this rule.

1467758827.png

Hodgson was in front of the kicker and within 10 metres.

Black and white, which is what the bunker are meant to be doing, it should have been no try and penalty to the Knights because Hodgson would have been deemed as taking part in the play. Which is what he would have done if Knights caught the ball. He was running up there to make a tackle if a Knights player got the ball.

Going by the audio from the bunker, they didn't even check Hodgson.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Bish
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Pablo
  • Skathen
  • NSW stables
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • Maddy
  • bb_gun
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • cento
  • broncsgoat
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.