Round 17 Discussion

Not the worst penalty to give away there from Cotter. Gives St George the lead, but 2 points is nothing in this game.

The kick from Norman was a lot better than what the case made it look. Despite being an in-field cross-kick the only chaser was the winger, that's one of those kicks that are really designed for your tall rangy backrow. Still it paid off for them and coming out of trouble Molo get's caught thinking offload when the Cows just had to get to their kick, preferably for the sideline.

Just like that Drinkwater puts Feldt over with a flick (gee wonder where I've seen that before...). Great skills by Drinkwater, but Aitken made it extremely easy for him. He needed to buy Clune more time instead of jamming in on O'Neil like he was GI. Pereira really had no excuse for giving Feldt that much room down the sideline.

Probably a fair result in the end, Cowboys scored more tries and used their golden point advantage wisely. Four great runs from their forwards, Drinkwater with a smart early kick to turn the Dragons around giving Norman a difficult 40m+ shot that was just off target.

I'm happy for Hannay. It's been a tough slog and hardly anything has gone right for him, at least tonight the Cows have something to cheer about.

Tommy Gilbert in his run on debut just gave us a sign of things to come. Very impressive from one of the best prospects coming through the grades. A Brisbane product as well, just to rub some salt in the wounds.

Probably a fair result in the end, Cowboys scored more tries and used their golden point advantage wisely. Four great runs from their forwards, Drinkwater with a smart early kick to turn the Dragons around giving Norman a difficult 40m+ shot that was just off target.

I'm happy for Hannay. It's been a tough slog and hardly anything has gone right for him, at least tonight the Cows have something to cheer about.

Tommy Gilbert in his run on debut just gave us a sign of things to come. Very impressive from one of the best prospects coming through the grades. A Brisbane product as well, just to rub some salt in the wounds.

Gilbert is my second favourite forward going around.

Sorry Big Pete that was a forward pass all day and I wasn't there , fittler was , he called it .
The reverse angle showed Smith threw it flat.

I wouldn't take Freddy's word for it either, he's very hit and miss when it comes to referees. For a guy who presents himself as a very 'zen' person, he loves a good whinge.
Thanks Big Pete I stand corrected , from the reverse side it did look very flat , my apologies to Cam Smith for thinking or wrongly assuming and then inferring Melb are just a mob of cheating C***s . As for Fittler ,the commentary would be better without him.

Will the judiciary be looking at the deliberate trip on Holmes when he goes over for his try I wonder?

Last edited:

Gilbert was a Broncos fan growing up but was overlooked by the Broncos machine ... See below ... Personally I think he's a moral to play Origin within 3-4 years.

---

During his childhood, Gilbert was unsure if he had what it would take to make it in the NRL.

Growing up in Brisbane he missed out on spots in the Brisbane Broncos' junior academies, the team he supported as a kid, and he used that as motivation to knuckle down and train even harder.

"A couple of the boys around me in the division, they had been in the Broncos academy and I wasn’t fortunate enough to make those academies and get invited to those camps," Gilbert admitted.

"Not making those academies made me want to train harder. It enabled me to push and get better performances out of me.

"I did want to play for the Broncos and probably at the time, I’m not saying I deserved a spot in their academies, I wasn’t the player that deserved to be there, but it did motivate me because at 13, 14 you’re a bit naïve so you think you should be [there].

"I didn’t like other people having that opportunity over me."

Eventually, the Cowboys came knocking and Gilbert wasn't going to pass up the chance of being a part of an NRL club's academy.

Although, there was interest from one other NRL club south of the border.

"As soon as I got this opportunity to join an academy and go to a camp, I took it straight away," Gilbert said.

"There was a bit of interest by the Sharks, but it was the Cowboys who came to me with something.

"They’re the ones who put their faith in me before I really started becoming someone who I guess other clubs wanted. They found a reason to sign me on.

"Once I got that opportunity, I wanted to work hard and I was focused on Townsville."

Last edited:
Well, I was wrong, Annesley didn't make any mention of the bunker (bungler) farce. But he did promote the use of the bunker even though it showed that the challenges are often successful, showing that referees are making a lot of mistakes, then going on to say that the majority of challenges are in the final 20 min. Implying that refs are making crucial mistakes at critical times. Furthermore, he went on to laud the closeness of the games on the weekend. Guess the game management with 6 agains is being better understood. I hate this guy.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Manofoneway
  • broncs30
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • mrslong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • Santa
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Redux
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.