Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I've been wondering about our season and thought it could be interesting to take a look at it in patches

Initial teething period (8 games 2 wins 6 losses)
At this point we were just flogged by Rabbits, but it was also the point when Roberts was dropped and Knik's departure was imminent.

Lead up to origin (3 games 3 wins)
Small period leading up to origin, but it was the time when Turps, Dearden, etc. were starting to be introduced and Jimmy and Knik were gone (not blaming Knik, just indicating this was the time he was moved on)... Wins against Manly, Roosters then Warriors in NZ.

During origin (4 games 1 win)
Sole win was against the sharks at the end of the origin period. I think during this time we were hampered by origin more than what you would expect for a team with our record at the time (Oates, Gillett, Offa, Haas and Fifi in origin). There were also the 6 or so others participating in the rep round. I think this can't be overlooked as it appeared players were playing below themselves to safeguard against injury for those rep jerseys. Also noted by Seibs that Fifi, Oates, etc. weren't able to back up all that well and we lost Offa and Haas to injuries

Post origin (3 games 2 wins 1 draw)
Since the sharks game I believe we are currently playing a lot more consistently in terms of our style. We know our strength is the forwards and we have been ramming that down the opposition's throat. Our defence is still suspect, but I think we have improved in the middle (appears we are slowing down their ruck more), but the edges and inside the 20 need serious improvement.

Basically if we exclude the tumultuous period at the start of the year with the teething issues to Seibs style and potentially "toxic" players (namely Jimmy), we are 10 games 6 wins 1 draw and if you exclude the origin period we are undefeated.

Long bow I know, but I like the direction the team is heading in. However, the big thing that can swing all of this is maintaining the attitude within the playing group.

We appear more focused at the moment and players know their role a bit more which makes attitude a little less important (as they just have to rock up and play their part to 100% ie. not as much thinking involved), but if the bad old attitude days reemerge (as evidenced by the origin period) we could easily slump back down the ladder.

They were but how many of them were being used? Would Bennett have flicked Roberts for Staggs? Would Bennett have let KNik go in favour of Dearden? Would Bennett have put Milf to fullback?

I honestly don't know and I am not comparing the coaches deliberately. I'm also by no means saying Siebold is better than Bennett but what I am saying is that this team is playing with more freedom than any team since 2015 for some reason.

The young guys probably should have and would have pushed through. Regardless, for whatever reason it is happening, the fact is it IS happening and that is exciting. There are evident structures being employed that you couldn't say were always there last year.

Macca is no longer playing 80 and Boyd appears to be being phased out of the side, at least from such an important position as fullback. Would any of these things have happened under the previous regime?

This club was trending further and further away from 2015. It seems as though now, change has been made and while inconclusive, just has a better feel than last year despite results. Time will certainly tell.
It's funny the narrative has shifted and Bennett's retconned into this bloke terminally afraid to believe in young players. Take Staggs as an example, you wonder whether Wayne would have flicked Roberts for him, but Bennett's the guy who played Staggs in a dozen games last year. Whether he would have needed to move on Roberts is another matter, I'm guessing probably not but it's just a guess.

Dollars to donuts though, plenty here, including those now demanding we all share in unbridled optimism of a future so bright we gotta wear two pairs of shades, would be absolutely howling if Bennett played Turpin at halfback or off the bench for Macca, let alone moved Boyd to 5/8.

Time will certainly tell and I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances next season. But I'd say before the season kicked off we were a team absolutely primed with potential and it came to the worst season in recent memory. I'm hoping it'll come together but wouldn't bet lefty on it.

Courier Mail reporting Seibold has drawn a line in the sand regarding hard work. Can anyone post please.

It's funny the narrative has shifted and Bennett's retconned into this bloke terminally afraid to believe in young players. Take Staggs as an example, you wonder whether Wayne would have flicked Roberts for him, but Bennett's the guy who played Staggs in a dozen games last year. Whether he would have needed to move on Roberts is another matter, I'm guessing probably not but it's just a guess.

Dollars to donuts though, plenty here, including those now demanding we all share in unbridled optimism of a future so bright we gotta wear two pairs of shades, would be absolutely howling if Bennett played Turpin at halfback or off the bench for Macca, let alone moved Boyd to 5/8.

Time will certainly tell and I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances next season. But I'd say before the season kicked off we were a team absolutely primed with potential and it came to the worst season in recent memory. I'm hoping it'll come together but wouldn't bet lefty on it.
Not just staggs but haas ,sua, Fifita. It's so tiring listening to this dribble.
People are calling for some positivity and optimism, that's fine but how bout we stop pointing the finger at the past and concentrate on the future.

We appear more focused at the moment and players know their role a bit more which makes attitude a little less important (as they just have to rock up and play their part to 100% ie. not as much thinking involved), but if the bad old attitude days reemerge (as evidenced by the origin period) we could easily slump back down the ladder.

This is what is possibly the most exciting thing, it is the Melbourne Storm model. Get players to know their role and do it.

Firstly, when or where did I say Bennett was afraid to believe in young blokes? That has never been an argument I have used. Other posters have sure, apparently I am being retconned into Average Joe Poster? A bit of generalising happening there I suppose.

I have also mentioned a number of times throughout the season that I was not a fan of Siebold's in-game coaching. This has definitely improved though. I am not even a Siebold advocate or Bennett 'hater', though I do admit I felt Bennett needed to be moved on. So I guess, since there can be no middle ground on the Internet it seems, I am a Bennett 'hater' by default. An even though I wanted Bennett moved on, this obviously wasn't due to him being a bad coach, I just felt he had grown stale along with the 2018 group of players. The club needed a new direction.

Not really sure why you feel a need to use hyperbole about unbridled optimism, that really seems to have missed the point of my latest posts in this thread about being realistic but hey, sensationalism sells right?

A number of posters, Bennett supporters and 'haters' and quite a few in between (not that there seems to be such a thing as middle ground allowable) DID howl (and likely still are) about choosing Macca over Turps, not a great point here. Turps at halfback would be a bad decision if other halfbacks were still available...but they aren't. Dearden, Paix and SOS are ALL injured. Who else is there?

Before the season, this side was brimming with potential and guess what, it still is...arguably even more so, not really sure what this has to do with anything.

I don’t wholeheartedly agree with any individual point of view but I must applaud the level of debate. The team is lifting and BHQ is upping the ante too. The future looks ok to me.

Firstly, when or where did I say Bennett was afraid to believe in young blokes? That has never been an argument I have used. Other posters have sure, apparently I am being retconned into Average Joe Poster? A bit of generalising happening there I suppose.
Fair cop, I was certainly talking more about the general tone of things as opposed to accusing you of this specifically.
I have also mentioned a number of times throughout the season that I was not a fan of Siebold's in-game coaching. This has definitely improved though. I am not even a Siebold advocate or Bennett 'hater', though I do admit I felt Bennett needed to be moved on. So I guess, since there can be no middle ground on the Internet it seems, I am a Bennett 'hater' by default. An even though I wanted Bennett moved on, this obviously wasn't due to him being a bad coach, I just felt he had grown stale along with the 2018 group of players. The club needed a new direction.
Agreed there.
Not really sure why you feel a need to use hyperbole about unbridled optimism, that really seems to have missed the point of my latest posts in this thread about being realistic but hey, sensationalism sells right?
Hyperbole sent to ridiculous levels is basically the only rhetorical device I have. Well, I guess there's also a boatload of (arguably unnecessary) punctuation, and meandering, rambling sentences that don't really go anywhere. Not sure sensationalism does sell, I've been given the arse from every sales job I've had.
A number of posters, Bennett supporters and 'haters' and quite a few in between (not that there seems to be such a thing as middle ground allowable) DID howl (and likely still are) about choosing Macca over Turps, not a great point here. Turps at halfback would be a bad decision if other halfbacks were still available...but they aren't. Dearden, Paix and SOS are ALL injured. Who else is there?

Before the season, this side was brimming with potential and guess what, it still is...arguably even more so, not really sure what this has to do with anything.
It may have been poorly made, but my point was we've had a side positively primed with premiership potential and absolutely flubbed it so I'm a bit gunshy of being overly optimistic. George Dubya had a great quote that sums it up fantastically - "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."

George Dubya had a great quote that sums it up fantastically - "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."

My two personal favourites:

1. Our enemies don’t stop trying to think of new ways to harm our people and neither do we.

2. I dream of the time when men and fish can live together peacefully.

Last edited:
My two personal favourites:

1. Our enemies don’t stop trying to think of new ways to harm our people and neither do we.

2. I dream of the time when men and fish can live together peacefully.
3. Not all men are wise at all hours.

I think one of his best was — 'Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.'

I remember it as the opening of 'Step brothers'.

I dream of the time when men and fish can live together peacefully.
101367.jpg

I don’t wholeheartedly agree with any individual point of view but I must applaud the level of debate. The team is lifting and BHQ is upping the ante too. The future looks ok to me.
I'm not so sure. This is a written forum. If you can't make your point in 100 words or less, you aren't killing it at all. Articulation. Look it up. Apply it. I'm drawing a line in the sand called the effort line. Shape up or ship out. Go Siebs.

@Gaz
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold draws a line in the sand over cultural standards

Peter Badel, Chris Honnery, The Courier-Mail

July 31, 2019 4:51pm

Anthony Seibold has drawn a cultural line-in-the-sand at Red Hill, with the Broncos coach warning Brisbane players to work harder or risk being axed from the club.

On the eve of their blockbuster against Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium Friday night, leading Broncos stars have revealed Seibold’s zero-tolerance approach to break the longest premiership drought in Brisbane’s history.

A former employee of the Storm, Seibold is acutely aware of the standards of excellence that have made Craig Bellamy’s Melbourne the NRL’s most consistent team of the past decade.

While Seibold is not adopting a copycat mentality in trying to bring a Storm-like ruthlessness to the Broncos, Wayne Bennett’s successor will not tolerate laziness, mediocrity and unprofessionalism at Red Hill.

Seibold has made his mark. AAP Image/Darren England.

Brisbane’s former No.1 strike centre James Roberts, who battled an achilles problem for more than a year, was moved on just five months into Seibold’s tenure after being challenged to work harder on his rehabilitation.

The eighth-placed Broncos have gone a month without a defeat and prop Matt Lodge says Brisbane’s longer-term goal of clinching the club’s seventh premiership hinges on buying into Seibold’s methods.

“I would love to see it (Brisbane emulating the Storm),” Lodge said.

“I am a big fan of what they (Melbourne) do.

“We are not trying to be a cookie-cutter and copy exactly what they do because we have got our own style and our own type of players.

“But I think Seibs is doing a good job of almost clearing people out who don’t want to buy into working hard and doing everything they need to do to make sure the team is winning, and training hard.

Seibold has the Broncos back on track. AAP Image/Darren England.

“It is the whole package here. If people aren’t prepared to do that at the Broncos, we don’t really want them in the team.”

Seibold said his three years under Bellamy at Melbourne gave him a compelling insight into the work ethic required to win premierships.

“We have different players, but I learnt so much from my time down there (the Storm),” Seibold said.

“It’s a special club – but this is a special club, too.

“You have seen the best of this squad in patches, but we’ll get better, whether it’s this year or next year, and that’s all I ask.”

Seibold knows missing the finals in unacceptable. AAP Image/Darren England.

Ironically, Melbourne built their foundations on the success of the Broncos in the 1990s and fullback Anthony Milford concedes missing the finals would be unacceptable for a Brisbane club with a top-four mandate.

“We hold a pretty high standard here at the Broncos,” he said.

“Seibs has come in and said no different. He’s holding everyone and each and all of us accountable for ourselves and that hasn’t changed. We’re just trying to get better every day.

“There’s about six weeks to go and our numbers between the top eight, we’re not safe at all.

“We’re no different (to Melbourne’s standards). We set a pretty high standard here and we just need to nail that every week and every day.”

“But I think Seibs is doing a good job of almost clearing people out who don’t want to buy into working hard and doing everything they need to do to make sure the team is winning, and training hard.

Almost? So there's a couple\few\number to go aye.

This is a very promising article, seems he's doing his best to give our team a hard edge we haven't had for a few years.

Last edited:

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • Matheos
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.