Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisbane seek derby revenge with secret kicking sessions at Suncorp
PETER BADEL, @badel_cmail, The Courier-Mail

BRONCOS players have taken the unprecedented step of staging closed kicking sessions at Suncorp Stadium to give Brisbane an edge at the home of Queensland rugby league.
A select group of Brisbane stars, led by Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford, have begun doing extras at Suncorp in the lead-up to Friday night’s derby blockbuster against the Cowboys.
Hunt and Milford initially joined the entire Broncos squad yesterday morning at Red Hill, the scene of Brisbane’s daily training sessions for the past 29 years.
But Brisbane’s star halves later broke from the group and were ferried to Suncorp, where they worked on their tactical kicking as they prepare for the Queensland derby.
Hunt and Milford were joined by hooker Andrew McCullough and wingers Jordan Kahu and Corey Oates.
They were put through their paces by former Brisbane Lions AFL defender Daniel Merrett, who has been employed by the Broncos this season as a kicking-and-catching consultant.
The Suncorp sessions are expected to continue throughout the year, with the group having worked on their catching and kicking at the venue for the past month.
Hunt attracted fresh criticism over his kick options in last week’s season-opening defeat of the Sharks and is working overtime to fine-tune the weakest part of his game.
Broncos prop Adam Blair hopes the additional sessions will pay dividends as Brisbane seek revenge for last year’s crushing finals loss to the Cowboys.
“The boys have gone off to Suncorp, they have been doing it weekly,” Blair said of Hunt and Milford.
“I have no idea what they do there, but they have been going there for weeks now.

“They say practice makes perfect so hopefully it will work for us on Friday night.”
Injured recruit Benji Marshall was yesterday named in Brisbane’s 21-man squad, but remains an outside hope of facing the Cowboys.
While Hunt and Milford will pull the attacking strings for Brisbane, Blair shapes as the Broncos’ key defensive weapon against the Cowboys.
Brisbane’s pre-eminent prop is renowned for his kick pressure and while he won’t be specifically targeting Johnathan Thurston, he vowed to harass North Queensland’s kickers.
“I don’t target him (Thurston), but my job is to put kick pressure on,” he said.
“If that’s my job I try and execute it ... I did it last week, I will do it again and I will do it all year if I can.
“You have to win the battle in the middle (of the field). First and foremost with JT (Thurston), you have to stop their momentum going forward and minimise the time he has with the ball. If they start getting a roll on, there’s no way you can stop him.”

Benji should be there teaching hunt and milf a thing or two. But good to see they are putting in the work.

My youngest daughter took great delight watching Blair harassing the kicker last week. The more pissed off he made the kicker the more she liked it.

Damn, what a vixen

Blair should be included in these kicking sessions just to harass Hunt, Milford and McCullough with some kick pressure.

First step is having our kickers be accurate without pressure on them, let's not give them more than they can handle :P (Milford included..)

First step is having our kickers be accurate without pressure on them, let's not give them more than they can handle :p (Milford included..)
Rubbish. I'm accurate without pressure and no one is offering me hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only thing that matters is if you can do it under pressure.

Rubbish. I'm accurate without pressure and no one is offering me hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only thing that matters is if you can do it under pressure.

I believe you've missed the entire point of my post. Even when Milford and Hunt have an opportunity at a pressure free kick inside the opposition 30 it's a complete lottery whether it's actually going to be a good kick or not. They need to master their kicking game with no pressure before they even think about having defenders rushing at them, that's the next step.

My youngest daughter took great delight watching Blair harassing the kicker last week. The more pissed off he made the kicker the more she liked it.

The she would have been ecstatic...

every time Blair even looked at Maloney he was whinging to the ref.

Blair should be included in these kicking sessions just to harass Hunt, Milford and McCullough with some kick pressure.
Agreed.

Part of kicking is technique. And that needs to be learnt without pressure.

Once you have the technique, the second part comes in and that's making the decision and the play under pressure (ie the kick might not end up being the option if the bloke runs out of the line and you can create and overlap

Short and sharp captain's run. Press conference up now.

Nikorima copying JT's laugh a highlight.

Classic Bennett baiting the media into thinking Marshall will play.....for Redcliffe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Hurrijo
  • cento
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Wolfie
  • Mick_Hancock
  • lynx000
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • Cavalo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • pennywisealfie
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.