PRE-GAME Round 22 - Broncos vs Panthers

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I think you're right.

My issue with this is that the move strikes me as a compensation for the obvious. That the Broncos attack is struggling, so instead of making the appropriate changes like bringing in Sean O'Sullivan, Seibold has instead drafted a back onto the bench. A move that doesn't really address the core issues in the side but lets him off the hook for some because 'he's trying things'.

I don't like the move either because it's an unspecified role. Perese has no idea where he'll end up on the field and he'll have very little feel for the game when he's on. I also think it comes with a lot of unnecessary pressure, because when he is brought on, he'll be asked to make a contribution from his first touch to ease himself in.

Furthermore, it just puts the other outside backs like Shibasaki and Staggs under pressure. Shibasaki has obviously struggled, but he strikes me as a confidence player who if he's going to go onto succeed need to be shown some patience.

If Brisbane were in a similar position as Melbourne, I wouldn't have an issue. However this is do or die and after the past fortnight, this was Seibold's ace up his sleeve? We all know what this is about, and the fact he's taking swipes at Luke Keary just goes to show where his minds at.
In the sense that Seibs is including him to provide an attacking spark I agree with you, as there is very little an outside back can do to spark the attack, but I'm not sold on this being the only reason he included him.

I've not read through all the Perese articles over the last couple days but is there a quote from Seibs stating he wants him there to provide a spark off the bench??

I was disappointed to not see SOS in the team this week and it's probably the first time I've been a little annoyed with the team list (unlike others I believe at times Seibold has been hamstrung by injuries and club politics to make the moves he wants). However this time around he did have SOS available and it would only mean dropping Turps or Macca to the bench with Seggy dropping out all together... not exactly huge political moves there.

Seibs justification for keeping the same 17 based on winning last start out doesn't sit right with me and to me it reeks of a hesitation to make a big call on either Boyd or Macca.

I think Seibs is hoping a decision is made for him in regards to Macca or Boyd (injury, suspension, etc.) that would force his hand. As that allows him to keep peace with the squad and external media eyes. But I think Boyd is our best option for left center right now and Turpin is not a halfback.

Maybe he doesnt want to change both positions at once which I get, but to not bring in a halfback seems very odd. Given the composure of the team in the last few weeks.

It's kind of why I feel Gillett and now Glenn have been out for so long. Bringing them back means a big decision to bench 2 of Fifi, Glenn, Gillett, TPJ or Offa, and further to drop 2 of Carrigan, Flegler or Kennedy.

These are big calls which have ramifications on team harmony and talent on the field, but it seems easier to say give Glenn/Gillett another week to get right.

Perhaps he doesnt want Gillett or Glenn on the field over TPJ and Fifi, but doesn't want to drop either to reserve grade.

Last edited:
I've not read through all the Perese articles over the last couple days but is there a quote from Seibs stating he wants him there to provide a spark off the bench??

That's just the inference I've made based on what Perese brings as a player. According to Seibold he's there for his versatility and as a reward for his performances for the Dolphins. Listening to what he had to say, it confirms the report that he'll likely come on as a loose forward and the contigency plan is to move Staggs there if things don't work out.

In the sense that Seibs is including him to provide an attacking spark I agree with you, as there is very little an outside back can do to spark the attack, but I'm not sold on this being the only reason he included him.

I was disappointed to not see SOS in the team this week and it's probably the first time I've been a little annoyed with the team list (unlike others I believe at times Seibold has been hamstrung by injuries and club politics to make the moves he wants). However this time around he did have SOS available and it would only mean dropping Turps or Macca to the bench with Seggy dropping out all together... not exactly huge political moves there.

Seibs justification for keeping the same 17 based on winning last start out doesn't sit right with me and to me it reeks of a hesitation to make a big call on either Boyd or Macca.

I think Seibs is hoping a decision is made for him in regards to Macca or Boyd (injury, suspension, etc.) that would force his hand. As that allows him to keep peace with the squad and external media eyes. But I think Boyd is our best option for left center right now and Turpin is not a halfback.

Maybe he doesnt want to change both positions at once which I get, but to not bring in a halfback seems very odd. Given the composure of the team in the last few weeks.

It's kind of why I feel Gillett and now Glenn have been out for so long. Bringing them back means a big decision to bench 2 of Fifi, Glenn, Gillett, TPJ or Offa, and further to drop 2 of Carrigan, Flegler or Kennedy.

These are big calls which have ramifications on team harmony and talent on the field, but it seems easier to say give Glenn/Gillett another week to get right.

Perhaps he doesnt want Gillett or Glenn on the field over TPJ and Fifi, but doesn't want to drop either to reserve grade.

....but all of these are coaches decisions.....that's WHY he was hired surely....

Does Craig Bellamy do the same thing if he is Broncos coach...???

5 year contract, make decsions and STICK with them....if he is worried about how people "think" about them then maybe he isnt cut out to be here..??

Last edited:
Wouldn't go as far as calling Shibba a potato but agree 100pct he shouldn't be in the team.
As for Oates agree his form has been garbage since Origin plus he will spill one in two bombs. Also Jesse Arthurs has been signed and plays in same position so maybe switch Oates to back row or get rid as don't want to see us pay overs for a winger.
Same applies to Milford and Bird. We are not getting value for money. We could offload both and go after Ramien plus a fullback and experienced half and be better off cap wise not to mention stronger team also.
Yeah, you're right. Potatos have a use. Chips and hot Spuds are pretty good. There's nothing good about Shiba.

Strikes me as similar to when Milford was thrown in to Origin as 14, you've got a guy who gets put on when we're under the pump with no clear role, just thrown on and told to hang out in the middle and win the game for us. It might come off but if not I hope Perese doesn't cop a flogging for it.

If milfs role stopped getting changed every 12 games we'd get value for money. Whether that be from 1 or 6.
Yeah, i honestly can't stand the amount of hate Milford gets. He is consistently one of our best players and is basically the only attacking threat in our spine. This season he had Dearden, SoS, Boyd, Bird and Nikorima all partner him in the halves at some point. He has also now been changed to fullback, a position he hasn't played in 5 years.

Sure, maybe we aren't getting the $1m value out of him at the moment, but looking at everyone else in our squad, the only players id genuinely say are giving us their 'Value' would be Haas, Glenn and Fifita. At least milford is giving us 80-90% of his value. Bird has played like 12 games in 2 years, Gillett not many more, and Boyd, unfortunately has played in about 45 too many.

Last edited:
not necessarily ...

depending how Perese goes, next season's backline could be:

1. Milford
2. Isaako
3. Staggs (right)
4. Perese (left)
5. Oates
6. Bird
7. Dearden/SOS

that would be a pretty handy backline to go with our dominant forward pack

How about Bird to FB and Milf back to 5/8 where hopefully with a decent half and FB ... and maybe hooker, he can truly excel in the halves?

I kinda like the idea of Bird at FB - strong running game and is a good defender.

and if true would mean a third different position for Bird for his third season with us...

Frustrating....but i feel he's a centre for us....
He has already played in the halves for us

How about Bird to FB and Milf back to 5/8 where hopefully with a decent half and FB ... and maybe hooker, he can truly excel in the halves?

I kinda like the idea of Bird at FB - strong running game and is a good defender.

while i don't mind that ...

I think Milfords better for us at fullback. I think he can excel there after an off season acclimating to the position again. less defensive workload, more room and not being "locked" to one side of the field are all benefits this move has to not only Milfords game, but the team.

Bird at 5/8 is a better option imo, he is a better defender and can use his strong running game just as well there as he can at the back.

I think either way, Milf/Bird will be 1/6 if Bird is still at Brissy next year. I also think either way is great and would give an experienced hear partnering Dearden/SOS/Paix.

Milford might be a better fullback option for us long term, but short term at the moment, we are a much stronger team with him at 6 and Boyd at 1 currently. Especially with Turpin in the halves.

Last edited:
Milford might be a better fullback option for us long term, but short term at the moment, we are a much stronger team with him at 6 and Boyd at 1 currently. Especially with Turpin in the halves.
I see it the other way round, he needs to fill in at 1 now because there's nobody else but long term he's best at 6 with a proper halfback and a bigger body like Bird out back.

I see it the other way round, he needs to fill in at 1 now because there's nobody else but long term he's best at 6 with a proper halfback and a bigger body like Bird out back.

Plus there is next to no scenario where Boyd is the best current option at fullback?

Seibold intended it to be a swipe at the media, but when you bag out another player's stats and go into specifics, it's a dig.

I just see that comment and the Perese move as Seibold trying to make the most of it, instead of actually addressing the elephant in the room.
I agree Pete. The more he backs Boyd the more he is going to look stupid if and when he comes to giving him the heave-ho.

In addition Seibs has just given Robinson a great quote to repeat to Keary every-time he comes up against us. It was just dumb all round. Seibs needs to go on a media handling course in the off-season.

....but all of these are coaches decisions.....that's WHY he was hired surely....

Does Craig Bellamy do the same thing if he is Broncos coach...???

5 year contract, make decsions and STICK with them....if he is worried about how people "think" about them then maybe he isnt cut out to be here..??
I dont think it is so much how he thinks people will think of it, but more so the ramifications on the playing group.

He is asking the playing group to do a lot compared to what they are used to and to buy in on effort, etc. A lot of that is mental... if something happens which impacts the mental state or attitude of the squad it would be disastrous.

If he were to say drop Glenn to the bench to keep Fifi starting. Logically it makes sense as Fifi offers far more in attack and seems to be holding his own in defence he's also got the upside of youth and serious potential, but for team moral it could have an impact to see a club stalwart and a guy well liked in the squad dropped to the bench.

I dont think Seibs has built up enough political capital within the playing group or the NRL to make a huge call such as that, despite every logical inclination pointing to it, but talent, etc. is one thing and mentality is another all together... which is why I think Boyd and Macca are still in the team.

With SOS back I was hoping he'd make the call to get a halfback into the team. The impact on the squad is Turps likely going to the bench and Seggy to reserve grade so not huge. However he may be rewarding Turps for good play and doing what he asks his players to do. If however he is waiting for something to force his hand, such as injury, to make a call on the hooker situation I'd be upset.

Not suggesting that Gillett and Glenn aren't injured (although they have been "1 week away" for awhile now) or maybe Seibs wants SOS to get miles into his legs or the positive of having the same spine for 5 weeks or so now. But I just dont see Turps as a halfback and now we have one available.

The otherside is that SOS was only in the team for 3 weeks before injury so it's not like he has built up combinations to come back into and changing halves could be equally as disruptive.

Last edited:
Plus there is next to no scenario where Boyd is the best current option at fullback?
Not now no. When he's fit I'd prefer him there but short of getting bionic legs it seems like Boyd's cooked.

I agree Pete. The more he backs Boyd the more he is going to look stupid if and when he comes to giving him the heave-ho.

In addition Seibs has just given Robinson a great quote to repeat to Keary every-time he comes up against us. It was just dumb all round. Seibs needs to go on a media handling course in the off-season.
Do they have those at Harvard? Also to me he was saying Luke least was shit too but no one complained. All I got was the shit too. As in yes Boyd was shit.

That's just the inference I've made based on what Perese brings as a player. According to Seibold he's there for his versatility and as a reward for his performances for the Dolphins. Listening to what he had to say, it confirms the report that he'll likely come on as a loose forward and the contigency plan is to move Staggs there if things don't work out.
I don’t see Staggs as a long term centre. What are your thoughts on him playing lock in the future BP?

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.