Round 23 Discussion

I'm at a loss as to what the commentators want. Whingeing about too many penalties in todays game instead of blaming the players.
Sure there were a couple of contentious penalties but mostly the players were pushing non stop to gain an advantage.
Not one commentator has explained which penalties they want let go instead they just broadly state " too many penalties, they're ruining the game" .
I'd also like every commentator to declare if they have paid positions with any clubs like the shock jocks after the cash for comments drama.
Ennis was banging on today but clearly has a conflict because he works for the raiders.
There are so many agendas in this game especially among the journos .

I'm at a loss as to what the commentators want. Whingeing about too many penalties in todays game instead of blaming the players.
Sure there were a couple of contentious penalties but mostly the players were pushing non stop to gain an advantage.
Not one commentator has explained which penalties they want let go instead they just broadly state " too many penalties, they're ruining the game" .
I'd also like every commentator to declare if they have paid positions with any clubs like the shock jocks after the cash for comments drama.
Ennis was banging on today but clearly has a conflict because he works for the raiders.
Brett Finch is the worst, surely. He has been offended frequently recently because anyone would dare question the Storm.

I think it may have been the Raiders V Manly game but I was watching the coverage on 9 and one of the sideline commentators said "The referee's are aware of the high penalty count in the first half and have said they are going to try to keep the whistle away in the second"

Words to that effect anyway. I mean what the actual ****? If there's a penalty just fucking blow it!! I wonder how different the top 8 would look if they did

Brett Finch is the worst, surely. He has been offended frequently recently because anyone would dare question the Storm.

Finchy got a very large boat.

Yep, its BS. I really would like to know which penalties they would not blow.
Souffs the other night clearly were playing the ball off the mark so our markers would be wrong footed when Cook took off.
Just a tactic they have come up with that the refs are happy to let go.

Last edited:
I think it may have been the Raiders V Manly game but I was watching the coverage on 9 and one of the sideline commentators said "The referee's are aware of the high penalty count in the first half and have said they are going to try to keep the whistle away in the second"

Words to that effect anyway. I mean what the actual ****? If there's a penalty just fucking blow it!! I wonder how different the top 8 would look if they did

we saw it during the high penalty counts to start last season ... the Storm were not only brought back to the pack when the refs pinged them for breaking the rules, but they went straight to the middle of the pack.

I'm still of the belief that if the refs had have stayed course, instead of buckling to media pressure, the players would have learned quick that if they wanted to keep pushing the rules then they would be penalised out of the match and possibly the season ... if that happened we would have had an actual flowing game, not the "fake" flowing games we get now

That's a common misconception. Melbourne were actually winning a lot of those penalty counts, but the frustrating stop start nature prevented them from playing their style of footy. Wests conceded 18 penalty to 8 in their Round 2 victory against Melbourne and in Cronulla it was 10-6 Melbourne's way at half-time before the game descended into a farce.

A lot of the penalties against Melbourne that night were for dissent, including the sin-bin against Smith. By that point, Cronulla had actively put Melbourne off their game with their grubby tactics and got rewarded for it.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.