vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, statistical anomalies are a fair counter-point to the level of success you have based on how far you make it into the finals... FFS.

Why am I even bothering with this rubbish?

If we win round one next week, Seibold has out-performed Wayne in 2018 plain and simple and he has done it with a weaker, younger squad that has had a horrendous injury toll that Wayne never had to manage.

Now, let’s see what happens shall we?

It depends how you define success.

If the sole metric is dependent on getting further into finals sure you could say this year was better than last, should that happen. But when the ultimate goal is to win a premiership this year wouldn’t be an improvement at all.

If the sole metric is dependent on getting further into finals sure you could say this year was better than last, should that happen. But when the ultimate goal is to win a premiership this year wouldn’t be an improvement at all.

Correct, the ultimate metric in NRL terms is the premiership, so the closer you get, the better you have done, yeah?

Correct, the ultimate metric in NRL terms is the premiership, so the closer you get, the better you have done, yeah?
Are you more likely to get there with a 60% win rate or 50%?

Are you more likely to get there with a 60% win rate or 50%?

We are there, with the same chance we had last year... Comparative years don’t matter. We will make 7th place on 27 points, Sharks or Tigers will make 8th on 26, other years 28 has been the bare minimum you need to play finals footy.

Hypothetically - we win today. We play Manly next week at Brookvale and win.

Manly are out of the comp and we are onto week 2 of the finals. But they won 14 games this year, whereas we only won 12 in the week to week rounds, plus one finals game.

So have they had a better year than us, have they under such a scenario? We’re still playing, they are on the jars at the Steyne, watching...

Yup, not sure what sort of bizarro world we’ve entered into here, where success is defined during the week to week comp, compared to finals performance...

Last edited:
We are there, with the same chance we had last year... Comparative years don’t matter. We will make 7th place on 27 points, Sharks or Tigers will make 8th on 26, other years 28 has been the bare minimum you need to play finals footy.

Manly are out of the comp and we are onto week 2 of the finals. But they won 14 games this year, whereas we only won 12 in the week to week rounds, plus one finals game.

So have they had a better year than us, have they under such a scenario? We’re still playing, they are on the jars at the Steyne, watching...

Yup, not sure what sort of bizarro world we’ve entered into here, where success is defined during the week to week comp, compared to finals performance...
Agreed. Further to this they don't count percentages either when they look at the bottom of the table. The team that finished there are adjudged to have failed miserably and 'won' the wooden spoon. Same as the team who wins the GF, they don't need to talk about their percentages all they say is 'They are the champions' and this is the ultimate judgment on their season.

If we only get one step closer to winning the GF we have improved since last year.

It's not the EPL. Finals mean everything in our sport. I would say a finals win is equivalent to almost 5 regular season wins.

I really do not know why you are engaging with him, it is like talking to a plank.

It's simply, if we get further we are more successful. But we definitely were playing better footy last year .

So long as we don’t get pumped in week 1 of the finals, i think it is an improvement on last year.
A team full of young blokes, new structures, the quality we have let go, add in injuries and suspensions that we have copped this year. if we are competitive in week 1, then it has to be an improvement on getting pumped by st George at home last year in week 1 of the finals. If we win week 1 of the finals and progress to week 2 then it is without doubt a better year then last.

Hope we end up playing Sea Eagles in 1st round finals. Eels will improve from the last Broncos encounter, and they're motivated for revenge.

So long as we don’t get pumped in week 1 of the finals, i think it is an improvement on last year.
A team full of young blokes, new structures, the quality we have let go, add in injuries and suspensions that we have copped this year. if we are competitive in week 1, then it has to be an improvement on getting pumped by st George at home last year in week 1 of the finals. If we win week 1 of the finals and progress to week 2 then it is without doubt a better year then last.

Having one win against a top 4 team this year or 6 last year. Another way last year is better than this year.
[automerge]1567821828[/automerge]
I really do not know why you are engaging with him, it is like talking to a plank.

That’s pretty rude, I’m just offering an alternative point of view.

Last edited:
Agreed. Further to this they don't count percentages either when they look at the bottom of the table. The team that finished there are adjudged to have failed miserably and 'won' the wooden spoon. Same as the team who wins the GF, they don't need to talk about their percentages all they say is 'They are the champions' and this is the ultimate judgment on their season.

If we only get one step closer to winning the GF we have improved since last year.

In one way we have, in others we haven’t is my point.

Having one win against a top 4 team this year or 6 last year. Another way last year is better than this year.
But the fact is we got pumped at home by a team lower then us in week 1 of the finals last year.
Who cares who we beat who through 25 rounds last year, so long as you make the finals.
I think most would look at success as to how deep into the finals you go. The aim is to win a premership. The cowboys in 2017 scraped into 8th and played on grand final day.
If we make it to rd2 of the finals, there is no way you could argue that this year has not been more successful then last.
Once the finals come along, it’s another competition all together.

But the fact is we got pumped at home by a team lower then us in week 1 of the finals last year.
Who cares who we beat who through 25 rounds last year, so long as you make the finals.
I think most would look at success as to how deep into the finals you go. The aim is to win a premership. The cowboys in 2017 scraped into 8th and played on grand final day.
If we make it to rd2 of the finals, there is no way you could argue that this year has not been more successful then last.

I have argued it in a number of different ways.

there is no point arguing with him ... we could win the premiership this year from 7th and he would still be trying to argue that last year was more successful because we got a couple of extra wins in the regular season last year

there is no point arguing with him ... we could win the premiership this year from 7th and he would still be trying to argue that last year was more successful because we got a couple of extra wins in the regular season last year
We need 4 more wins to get there which would have us on the same number of wins as last year so I probably wouldn’t be able to argue it then.

Last year and this year are apples and oranges. Comparisons are both meaningless and misleading

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Midean
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosAlways
  • Organix
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
  • Financeguy
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.