PRE-GAME Round 4 - Roosters vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Upload 2019 4 2 18 24 21

Turpin is injured, won't be playing at all this week.

Perese still hesitates in most situations and is learning the game, you couldn't be confident he'd grasp the situation off the bench if he was thrown into a foreign situation.

My take watching him on Saturday night was that if he's just asked to run, on the left and break some tackles he can but anything that was required beyond that and he looked lost.

Shibasaki hasn't been in the same form as last year changing halves and Ahearn not being as good wouldn't be helping but he has a head start in understanding, he's also more robust so he if he had fill in for a while in a variety of backs roles he's more likely to do it. Against Easts he had to find his own ground and ball and did it really well.
Didn't realise Turpin was injured, shame. Long term injury?

I agree with everything you have said about Perese and Shibasaki but I also think that it's a risk worth taking. Shibasaki hasn't exactly demanded selection, if he was playing even reasonably well or was an extraordinary talent out of form or even if he just had a great debut last year I would agree the risk wouldn't be worth it but he doesn't seem to be much more then a solid first grader in the making in my eyes. Kind of seems to me like a javid bowen vs mosby type selection (not in ability or likeness of skill but more in regards to picking the solid and young but experienced player over the young guy with the big ceiling and an x factor despite his flaws).

The rorters are the only side that would/ could buy a rep second row forward who is arguably the best in the game and chuck him on the bench. We're a huge chance given that they're without Friend and, effectively, Crichton.

So typical that Cronk makes it back for our game. Also I was reading that Wearea-Hargreaves was out with a busted rib cartilage. Is that no longer the case then?

Kotoni Staggs to get his shot against Roosters as James Roberts replacement

APRIL 02, 2019
Brisbane young gun Kotoni Staggs will confront the biggest test of his fledgling career after Broncos centre James “The Jet” Roberts was grounded for Thursday night’s blockbuster against the Roosters.
The joy of Roberts streaking 90 metres to score against the Dragons last Thursday night was tempered by the agony of a post-try Achilles flare-up that has sidelined Brisbane’s fastest player for a clash with the premiers.
Roberts’ withdrawal opens the door for Staggs, the speedy Aboriginal super-sub who will be asked to mark-up against a more supreme indigenous talent in Roosters ace Latrell Mitchell at the SCG.
c5b38e7e70f148ebc0df20e436d10e98

Roberts can’t shake off his Achilles problems. Image: AAP Image/Darren England
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is happy with his backline contingency for Roberts.
While Roberts hobbled through Tuesday’s training run, Staggs moved with such intent he was loudly applauded at one stage by Seibold, who liked the offensive lines the 20-year-old ran.
The Roosters showdown carries special meaning for Staggs.
Last May, the Wellington product made his NRL debut against the Bondi club, scoring a try off the bench in Brisbane’s 28-22 victory, and will relish the prospect of facing Mitchell in just his 13th top-grade game.
NSW Origin teammates Mitchell and Roberts waged two mouth-watering battles at club level last year and Bronco
0f05601d696cc5cb718429106bb7255f

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has been impressed by Staggs in training. Image: AAP Image/Darren England
s skipper Darius Boyd backed Staggs to handle the Roosters examination.
“Staggs gets his opportunity — he is a young kid with a lot of talent and he’s very competitive,” Boyd said.
“It is disappointing that Jimmy won’t be there but it’s a good chance for Staggs to see what he can do.”
Roberts’ Achilles problem is a growing concern. He has battled the ailment for the past 15 months and with the Broncos reluctant to consider surgery, Roberts faces ongoing rehabilitation in the coming months.
There were suggestions Roberts may have been dropped but that was dismissed by Boyd, who can empathise with The Jet’s pain after snapping his achilles tendon in December 2014.
f1f3531b606e357dfaf13bce166b10ff

The Broncos rookie already has form against the Roosters. Image: AAP Image/Dan Peled
“He is definitely not dropped,” Boyd said.
“It is the Achilles … he is a bit of a Ferrari old Jimmy. He runs fast and we need him to be at his best but his Achilles is hampering him a little bit so I think he is having a rest this week.
“Hopefully we can get it right for next week.
“Jimmy played Origin last year and is at the prime of his career but we need Jimmy at his best and doing the little things well.”
Boyd said the Broncos desperately need Roberts — their No.1 strike player — to be at peak fitness.
“There are a lot of things you can do with calf strength in particular,” he said. “I didn’t have the pain so much, my Achilles just kind of (snapped).
“Jimmy’s hasn’t (snapped), which is lucky, but he needs to do a lot of calf work. That is the key, to strengthen other areas because the Achilles is a hard one to work on.”

Source: Courier Mail

I’ll say it again - he won’t let us down.

Just one on one with Mitchell, I don't think your defensive readings necessarily have to be that good, you just need to have strength not to get palmed off, or to hold him up and prevent his momentum.

But then unfortunately there's also Keary's ball playing, Cordner's hole running and Tedesco's speed that go with that, and then you really do need good defensive reading.

Just one on one with Mitchell, I don't think your defensive readings necessarily have to be that good, you just need to have strength not to get palmed off, or to hold him up and prevent his momentum.

But then unfortunately there's also Keary's ball playing, Cordner's hole running and Tedesco's speed that go with that, and then you really do need good defensive reading.
Mitchell’s strength is uncanny, but so is Kotoni's. I’m looking forward to a great contest.

Broncos -

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Junior

14. Shibasaki
15. Su'A
16. Flegler
17. Fifita

I do not understand why we keep picking too many outside backs in our 21 squad? Why don't we ever give a chance to the half's (who are waiting) and see how would they go? What has Fensom contributed so far in the minutes he has played? Nothing. We would have tested Carrigan. Perese & Kennar in the 21? Why in the world our coaches (Past & Present) have this fetish of carrying so many outside backs?

Wayne had long-gone yet, I still see his methodologies. Wonder when Anthony.S will start making those bold calls?

Test the genuine half-back talent waiting for jersey-7. Stop guaranteeing jersey's to players who cannot contribute much than what they are doing. KNick is NOT a 7. In my opinion - he must be 14 and be injected when we deemed necessary. This way, we can nullify our phenomenal, super quick, robust & flawless 9.

15-18 we can have either Su'a, Flegler & Fifita OR Su'a, Fifita & Carrigan.

Last edited:
So typical that Cronk makes it back for our game. Also I was reading that Wearea-Hargreaves was out with a busted rib cartilage. Is that no longer the case then?

Robinson said the other night on NRL 360 that JWH would be right to tough it out with a needle.

Aitken ran at will through Milford last week, Manu's gonna have a field day running the same way.

This will get ugly.

Robinson said the other night on NRL 360 that JWH would be right to tough it out with a needle.
Hope Milf will be looking to pull him down a la Alfie if he decides to run at him to test him out.

A true performance enhancing drug.
Not sure it enhances a player's performance. It certainly allows an otherwise incapacitated player to take the field by masking the pain he is in. If you take the improvement from being unable to perform to performing I'd say it was more a performance enabling drug.

But I agree with your sentiment - I also think it's legalised cheating.

Not sure it enhances a player's performance. It certainly allows an otherwise incapacitated player to take the field by masking the pain he is in. If you take the improvement from being unable to perform to performing I'd say it was more a performance enabling drug.

But I agree with your sentiment - I also think it's legalised cheating.
It's all a perspective thing in my opinion. If we consider a players performance level with the injury untreated as the initial level then give him a drug which enhances that level then it's truly a performance enhancing drug. This has been my position for decades and I have written this before on this site.

Without opening discussion on Cronulla and it's use of drugs it's my belief the drugs issued there were to enable quicker recovery times in much the same way that a needle aids in quicker recovery. I have never thought they were intended to build muscle mass in the manner that gym junkies, body builders etc used them. Naturally, Cronulla's use of them was still wrong whatever the intended or anticipated benefits were.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • BroncosAlways
  • kiwi2
  • Galah
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Organix
  • Financeguy
  • Evander
  • Fozz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • cento
  • Johnny92
  • Aldo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.