Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos

I really believe our defence is passive because well, it is. All the good teams rush the attack, to suffocate it, stop momentum and build serious pressure. If a team stands back and simply waits, as we do, then it leaves itself open to these sorts of reffing bullshit you describe.

The turn around shown by the Dragons when they did the Eels was almost 100% due to them rushing the Eels attack, cutting down time and space and maybe as a result, the refs then focus on the PTB more than the 10 metres. We are not going anywhere standing back. How long have we used this strategy? Since 2015. Old habits die hard and Walters is finding out just how much.

We've done that, at times, when we're allowed to by the refs.

Here's an example of the bullshit the refs are handing us, and why our line seems passive and fatigued.

View attachment 12344

Souths player tacked on the line, at worst half a metre past it. The tight shot doesn't show you the defensive line.

View attachment 12345

When it goes out to the wide shot, our defence is so far back you can't even see them in view yet.

View attachment 12346

As the play continues, you can see how far the ref has our defensive line. This isn't an isolated case, it happens throughout matches and you will see certain teams being given far more leeway. It's been a peeve of mine for years, it offers a MASSIVE advantage/disadvantage, and yet it's never mentioned. And then, of course, the supposed 10 metre line that's going to be shown on the telecast just never emerges, and there is not ONE mention by anyone as to why, it just does my fucking head in.
I called that out years ago. Totally agree and the '13 metres for the Broncos' rule was brought in by Bill Harrigan. It's been a thing that long. Something can be done but the Broncos have always rejected squealing about injustices perpetrated against the club.

That isn’t conclusive for me tbh. Wingers and centres could be slightly further back than the 10.

You can't see any of them in the middle photo, so Dearden would have to have been at least back 2-3 metres, which makes me think the ref is still standing where he gave the Broncos the 10.

Unread

Active Now

• Bish
  • Fatboy
  • Splinter
  • AscotinOz
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
  • theshed
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Brocko
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.