Round 7 - Broncos vs Raiders - Post Match Discussion

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Round 7 Broncos v Raiders Post Match Discussion

We looked crap for the first 15, awesome in parts and good in others.

The back 3 were awesome soo safe under the high ball apart from that kick by Campese.

Hunt and Norman wow! Wish Norman would back himself in open space.

Gillett comes off the bench and only from the bench. Got great value from the bench without loss of momentum.

Overall pretty good performance causing the faiders to play like crap. Feel sorry watching Berro play for the Raiders

Re: Round 7 Broncos v Raiders Post Match Discussion

I thought this was our best performance of the season tbh. Forwards really brought it to them and our spine gelled pretty well. We didn't really miss a beat with Hunt there, good performance from him and he reminds us what he's capable of.

Raiders had 15 mins of fame, scored a lucky try and were steamrolled for the rest of the game.

The signs were there well before Campo went off injured too, which seriously surprised me, because I rated the Raiders pack to at least keep up with ours, and was a bit worried about having 2 young and fairly inexperienced halves directing us around. This showed in several moments where a simple pass to the outside men would've created an overlap and good scoring chances, but instead the ball went back inside or to an angle runner...

Regardless, Norman was excellent and Hunt was a pleasure to watch as well. It's good to know we have a good backup if we loose a half, and gives me much more confidence should Wallace get a blue jumper.

We definitely lack polish in the finishing and a little bit of luck to go our way as well, like the sitter Hodges dropped, or the kicks to the wingers missing accuracy (still kuddos to Hunt for the vision), and I really think that it's us who make teams look ordinary when they play us.
Sooner than later we're going to play 80 minutes like the first 40 against the Dragons, and we'll put a team to the sword. Wouldn't it be good if it was the Storm! :cuckoo:

I cannot stress enough how awesome our forward pack is! Baptiste struggled a bit to keep up with the NRL rhythm, but the rest of the boys were strong going forward and defended well as usual. Even Lui came onto the field and hit up like a man possessed.

So proud of this team!

I thought this was our best performance of the season tbh. Forwards really brought it to them and our spine gelled pretty well. We didn't really miss a beat with Hunt there, good performance from him and he reminds us what he's capable of.

Agree completely. By far our most complete performance. Have to remember, the Raiders pack are monsters, very capable of dominating a physical contest. That first 15 minutes they went with us and probably had the better of play. Then we ran over the top of them and dominated them. Great signs.

So glad Hunt played as well as he did. Shown we won't lose much with Wallace out injured or, heaven forbid, on rep duty.
Baptiste was probably the only disappointment...but that was purely him trying too hard IMO.

Norman stood up tonight in Wallaces absence. Hunt was good and proved he is an NRL quality halfback.

Personlly, i thought the Raiders try should have been disallowed due to obstruction. to me it looked like Berro came through didn't get the ball and ran into to Broncos defenders that, except for the interference, would have cleaned up the ball.

I also had a laugh at the big swinging arm from Thompson trying to collect Norman (i think) only to miss and hit his own player (berro i think it was). can he get suspended for that? :lol:

FTR, it seems that the great man Darren Lockyer agrees with me :smile: He said before the game that Gillett is best off the bench at this stage and also that its best for the team if he continues to perform that role.

Last edited:

I also had a laugh at the Raiders players' big swinging arm trying to collect Norman (i think) only to miss and hit his own player. can he get suspended for that? :lol:

The intent was there to clock Norman, wont get anything though.

that game got me excited for what is possible from this team. sure some of the finishing wasn't quite there, but that doesnt worry me in round 7, it will definitely come.

hunt and norman did a fantastic job. our forwards were again fantastic.

i have to give massive wraps to normans kicking game. his long kicks were pretty good but mainly his short grubbers were just spot on.

i just love where this team is going at the moment. it seems we put a bit more polish into the 80 mins every week.

The intent was there to clock Norman, wont get anything though.

see this is what is wrong with the nrl. it was a downright dirty attempt at foul play. it wasnt careless. it was filthy. in my view this is 5 times worse than say, teo's hit, or any other tackle of that nature (ie part of our game).

see this is what is wrong with the nrl. it was a downright dirty attempt at foul play. it wasnt careless. it was filthy. in my view this is 5 times worse than say, teo's hit, or any other tackle of that nature (ie part of our game).
Yeah, completely agree. Same goes for Blair's dog shot on Wallace last week...

and probably do 4x the mileage of any NSW team

well manly and their fans seem to think crossing the bridge to the SFS and surrounds is all too hard ha ha

Chuffed with that result, and the performance of Norman in particular. He really stepped up in the absence of Wallace. Hopefully that showing instils a bit more confidence in him.

Hunt did an excellent job as Wallace's replacement. Slotted in seamlessly and directed his troops around well. I also want to give a bit of praise to his defensive efforts tonight. I (and others) have had their doubts about his defence, but it was absolutely top notch tonight. Every time the Raiders went to Robinson, Hunt didn't give him any space and wrapped him up instantaneously. Great stuff.

Lots of credit for that performance must go to our three props - Hannant, Civo and McGuire. We were a bit flat in the opening 15 minutes, but from then on, those three completely dominated the opposition forwards. In fact, I reckon that was Civo's best match since his return. Made plenty of those trademark runs where he just keeps the legs pumping and carries a bunch of defenders with him.

Norman stood up tonight in Wallaces absence. Hunt was good and proved he is an NRL quality halfback.

Personlly, i thought the Raiders try should have been disallowed due to obstruction. to me it looked like Berro came through didn't get the ball and ran into to Broncos defenders that, except for the interference, would have cleaned up the ball.

I also had a laugh at the big swinging arm from Thompson trying to collect Norman (i think) only to miss and hit his own player (berro i think it was). can he get suspended for that? :lol:

FTR, it seems that the great man Darren Lockyer agrees with me :smile: He said before the game that Gillett is best off the bench at this stage and also that its best for the team if he continues to perform that role.

I wouldn't say he is a NRL quality half yet, he's had one win against a fairly depleted Raiders side, he played well though so don't get me wrong there I just think its a bit premature to claim that.

Great Win tonight! I thought Norman was fantastic, Hunt made a few brain farts at the start, probably due to nerves but redeemed himself throughout the game. Great signs for the future.

Just on a side note, something that really irks me is the headline on the fox sports website which reads

"Campese Hurt, Raiders Beaten"

I know it's only the link to the article and I'm just having a whinge but is it that hard to come up with a headline that mentions the Broncos and how they dominated the Raiders or how our young halves orchestrated a great win plus campo was hurt

I could understand if it was the daily telegraph site or a canberra paper but the fox sports site does it regularly and it ****s me. I want everyone to know how bloody good we are going and I want every story about the game to have Broncos and Victory written as many times as possible.

Sorry to get off topic but I just had to vent me frustration with the media not giving us the recognition we deserve and particularly with such young halves!

Anyway great win!

I want to give a rap to McCullough - he has been playing very well the last couple of weeks.

His defence has always been top notch but his attack and service from dummy half has improved greatly.

I am really liking his long kicking game from dummy half (eg the 40/20 he got last week or the week before). His short kicking game has been getting us some decent repeat sets also. The kick for Norman last night was an identical play that Cameron Smith and Slater play.

Looks like he has been studying up on Cameron Smith and it's definitely helping!

Have moved all posts regarding the debate about playing on Friday each week to a new thread, which can be found by clicking here.

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • maddo
  • jarro65
  • kiwibronco
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.