Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Pre-Game discussion

Broncos name same 17 from Friday night.

Thaiday still out injured.

I dont mind this as we get to see more of wallace and oates, and kennedy gets another go at starting prop up against the big fellas from souths.

B4L endorses this

Still think McCullough should remain on the field when Granville comes on; have him play a Dean Young lock role. Adds an element to our attack and still shores up our ruck defence.

Anyone know why Parker named at 12 and Gillett at 13?

Probably because it's temporary, no point in moving Gillett if we don't have to, he's been a revelation at Lock.

1 Ben Barba
2 Daniel Vidot
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges (c)
5 Dale Copley
6 Josh Hoffman
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Martin Kennedy
11 Alex Glenn
12 Corey Parker (c)
13 Matt Gillett

14 Ben Hannant
15 Corey Oates
16 Jarrod Wallace
17 Jake Granville
18 Todd Lowrie

Probably because it's temporary, no point in moving Gillett if we don't have to, he's been a revelation at Lock.

1 Ben Barba
2 Daniel Vidot
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges (c)
5 Dale Copley
6 Josh Hoffman
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Martin Kennedy
11 Alex Glenn
12 Corey Parker (c)
13 Matt Gillett

14 Ben Hannant
15 Corey Oates
16 Jarrod Wallace
17 Jake Granville
18 Todd Lowrie

Pretty happy with that team but would definitely prefer Hala over Lowrie, actually over Wallace too.

parker had 10 on this back.

i still really like it. it means we have four props to rotate + parker to work a bit more wide, and hopefully conserve his energy a little as he's appeared pretty buggered playing such big minutes in teh middle this year.

oates off the bench is great for impact value instead of lowrie.

wallace made 9 runs for 70 metres with 2 offloads and 17 tackles.. more work than hala has ever done.
also one of wallaces offloads set up a break down the right for us

Last edited:
hope hook sticks with granville. give him a run in the second half when the opposition forwards are getting tired.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lowrie replaced Granville.

Will be a true test for Barba if he really is in good form. His game was encouraging against Newcastle but he will have to be ready like anything for this one.

Will be a true test for Barba if he really is in good form. His game was encouraging against Newcastle but he will have to be ready like anything for this one.

Barba bobbing up left and right, and hovering behind the line is for mine, a sure sign he is back. For mine, his pace is just fine.

I thought his performance v Knights was more than encouraging. It showed me what this side really can do with a class act a la Slater, Bowen and a few others.

Without Luke, I don't see Souths anywhere near as potent and as long as we keep that ball moving, and contain the middle, I see a good win.

My only concern is Hunt's kicking - the last thing we need is 7 tackle freebies for a good outfit like the Bunnies, Luke or not. Inglis is always dangerous and a game breaker if given half a chance. He needs to be watched very carefully.

Oh ... I haven't mentioned Hoffman. Yes I have. Damn ...

Kicking to our wingers is one area of our game that is sadly lacking, especially with big athletic wingers in Vidot and Copley. What a waste of strike power!

Loved your post, rnabokov. I agree with most of what you said but I don't mind not kicking to our wingers for the time being. How many useless cross kicks did Wallace put up last year for no reward? All it accomplished was an easy let off for the opposition. With a new halves pairing, I'm happy for them to try different attacking options.

It is ironic though. Like you said, we finally have a winger with some size and strength, and could put on a few tries from bombs and yet we don't kick to him. It is a bit puzzling.

I like the way Hint kicks more for the centres to allow more options. Reed is really good in the air, so it gives us a really good option either side. On the right he is less inclined to put it up as that's his natural side and he is more confident putting through the hands of Hodges or letting Barba & Gillett combine.

Should be a cracker of a game although I will be in Melbourne from Thursday and won't see it ( playing 4 of the Peninsula golf course :whoo: ) I might try the free digital pass trial.

Kicking could really hurt us this week , Inglis will be returning the kicks and starting their sets close to half way if we don't get it right.

My only concern is Hunt's kicking - the last thing we need is 7 tackle freebies for a good outfit like the Bunnies, Luke or not. Inglis is always dangerous and a game breaker if given half a chance. He needs to be watched very carefully

Agreed. It very nearly cost the Bulldogs the game the other day giving away 7 tackle sets. Souths are awesome to watch from a 20m restart. Strong running. I think Hunt's kicking game has been improving but he needs to land 99% of them on a string come Friday.

I have faith in Hunt.

Let's hope they've had their dose of lithium this week, Souths wont allow us as much freedom as the Knights did but that doesn't mean we should go into our shell and play 'one-out-crap-and-bomb'.

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • HarryAllan7
  • Manofoneway
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • Swordfish
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Spoon
  • theshed
  • Lazza
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.