Round 8 Discussion

[h=1]Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson launches attack on referees and NRL bunker[/h] Date April 25, 2016 - 7:38PM

[h=3]Adam Pengilly[/h] [h=4]Sports reporter[/h] View more articles from Adam Pengilly
Follow Adam on Twitter Follow Adam on Google+ Email Adam

1461577190958.jpg
Dejected: Roosters winger Brendan Elliot after a Dragons try during the round eight NRL match at Allianz Stadium. Photo: Mark Kolbe

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has launched an extraordinary attack on the NRL's multi-million bunker and referee Ben Cummins, labelling the whistleblower as "disrespectful" and claiming the review process is making rugby league "soft".
Despite all clubs and coaches being threatened with heavy sanctions for criticising the bunker, Robinson was flanked by Roosters supremo Nick Politis and chief executive John Lee and provided a scathing critique of the game's officialdom. His main objection was a late penalty against Roosters prop Dylan Napa for a high shot on Dragons debutant Taane Milne, with the rookie and Boyd Cordner helped from the field with concussion.
1461577190958.jpg
Enraged: Roosters coach Trent Robinson. Photo: Getty Images

Robinson laughed at suggestions Napa's shot could be worthy of a charge, claiming the decision cost his side a chance to win the game, and is bracing himself for a massive fine after the Anzac Day post-match spray. "The bunker has decided to be the on-field ref today and they jumped in at every occasion," Robinson fumed. "They're not the match review committee.
Advertisement
"We're on Anzac Day and we want to play a tough game and they were just soft calls coming from a bunker. Ben has been horrible and disrespectful to our players for many years. We've had good high percentage win rate up until this year and with Ben Cummins we've won two games under him. He speaks poorly to our players and he won't look them in the eye. The way he spoke to Jake during the game was unacceptable.
"Two guys had a head clash — big play in the game — I don't know if we would have won. St George [Illawarra] might have defended well and held on. That was a big play."
The cellar-dwelling Roosters clawed their way back from an 18-point half-time deficit, but the Dragons limped home 20-18 for their seventh win in the last nine Anzac Day clashes. But it was just the start of the drama.
Politis seemed incensed in the back row during the press conference as his premiership-winning coach teed off, with Robinson fully expecting to be censured over his comments.
Asked if he would ring referees boss Tony Archer on Tuesday morning, Robinson said: "I'd say [NRL chief executive] Todd [Greenberg] might be ringing me. That might be a start. [But] you have to create change.
"It's not something we like in our game. I'm not saying we should have won today ... I'm saying we should have had a chance to win. You don't want to walk in here and make excuses about today's game. We lost it in the first half because we didn't play well enough. But I'm also not going to sit here and allow poor decisions to go by because of a rule and not allow referees to talk to players the way they should over years."
Friend said he challenged Cummins on a number of calls, but couldn't get any appropriate response for the referee.
"He won't talk to me," Friend said. "As a captain I've got the utmost respect for referees and for the opposition. I know every call is not going to be the right one but I should at least be able to talk to Ben about that or let mw know why he came up with that decision."
Sam Moa and Eloni Vunakece were placed on report for a shoulder charge and crusher tackle respectively, heightening the Roosters' concerns with the match review committee.

[h=1]Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson launches attack on referees and NRL bunker[/h] Date April 25, 2016 - 7:38PM

[h=3]Adam Pengilly[/h] [h=4]Sports reporter[/h] View more articles from Adam Pengilly
Follow Adam on Twitter Follow Adam on Google+ Email Adam

1461577190958.jpg
Dejected: Roosters winger Brendan Elliot after a Dragons try during the round eight NRL match at Allianz Stadium. Photo: Mark Kolbe

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has launched an extraordinary attack on the NRL's multi-million bunker and referee Ben Cummins, labelling the whistleblower as "disrespectful" and claiming the review process is making rugby league "soft".
Despite all clubs and coaches being threatened with heavy sanctions for criticising the bunker, Robinson was flanked by Roosters supremo Nick Politis and chief executive John Lee and provided a scathing critique of the game's officialdom. His main objection was a late penalty against Roosters prop Dylan Napa for a high shot on Dragons debutant Taane Milne, with the rookie and Boyd Cordner helped from the field with concussion.
1461577190958.jpg
Enraged: Roosters coach Trent Robinson. Photo: Getty Images

Robinson laughed at suggestions Napa's shot could be worthy of a charge, claiming the decision cost his side a chance to win the game, and is bracing himself for a massive fine after the Anzac Day post-match spray. "The bunker has decided to be the on-field ref today and they jumped in at every occasion," Robinson fumed. "They're not the match review committee.
Advertisement
"We're on Anzac Day and we want to play a tough game and they were just soft calls coming from a bunker. Ben has been horrible and disrespectful to our players for many years. We've had good high percentage win rate up until this year and with Ben Cummins we've won two games under him. He speaks poorly to our players and he won't look them in the eye. The way he spoke to Jake during the game was unacceptable.
"Two guys had a head clash — big play in the game — I don't know if we would have won. St George [Illawarra] might have defended well and held on. That was a big play."
The cellar-dwelling Roosters clawed their way back from an 18-point half-time deficit, but the Dragons limped home 20-18 for their seventh win in the last nine Anzac Day clashes. But it was just the start of the drama.
Politis seemed incensed in the back row during the press conference as his premiership-winning coach teed off, with Robinson fully expecting to be censured over his comments.
Asked if he would ring referees boss Tony Archer on Tuesday morning, Robinson said: "I'd say [NRL chief executive] Todd [Greenberg] might be ringing me. That might be a start. [But] you have to create change.
"It's not something we like in our game. I'm not saying we should have won today ... I'm saying we should have had a chance to win. You don't want to walk in here and make excuses about today's game. We lost it in the first half because we didn't play well enough. But I'm also not going to sit here and allow poor decisions to go by because of a rule and not allow referees to talk to players the way they should over years."
Friend said he challenged Cummins on a number of calls, but couldn't get any appropriate response for the referee.
"He won't talk to me," Friend said. "As a captain I've got the utmost respect for referees and for the opposition. I know every call is not going to be the right one but I should at least be able to talk to Ben about that or let mw know why he came up with that decision."
Sam Moa and Eloni Vunakece were placed on report for a shoulder charge and crusher tackle respectively, heightening the Roosters' concerns with the match review committee.

What a child. Everyone gets shit calls from the ref but the move on. Your team is last because they are shit and your proving to be a shit coach, it has nothing to do with the refs.

I'm enjoying watching the Roosters and in particular Robinson fall apart. His first year as coach when Uncle Nick hasn't provided a superstar squad and he is looking pathetic. The bloke is a fraud, should be arrested for impersonating a NRL coach.

Wow, just wow.

How the Warriors are that shit with the talent on their books, I will never know.

McFadden out this week with Taylor?

Gifted the opportunity to win the match, thanks to some genuinely shit refereeing, and it's still not enough? Let's not forget the 3-4 blatant strips that, had the video ref still been given the power, would have been called as such, insteal of being called Dragons knock-ons. Uncle Nick's bankrolling some fines now, he's really getting desperate.

Roosters having a cry and the warriors imploding. Must be monday.

Taylor and McFadds definitely out within the next two-three weeks with more losses you would think BUT the big question, who replaces them?

Taylor and McFadds definitely out within the next two-three weeks with more losses you would think BUT the big question, who replaces them?

Toovs and/or Cleary would be my guess.

Cleary would be very good for the Tigers I think and Toovs might just be the no nonsense investigator into this that the Warriors could use.

At what point to the Warriors stop and think, all of these coaches have failed here, what's going wrong?

Also, Warriors would do better if Luke actually played some decent footy. He's gotta be one of the most overrated players. Souths win, all of a sudden their players are the greatest in the world. When really, they're not.

The Warriors must do a review of all operations. There is something seriously wrong if the club can sign all kinds of top class players but can never deliver on it.

Warriors are a joke. They play like they don't care. Just a bunch of blokes who are happy they aren't Scaffolders.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Footy Fanatic
  • NSW stables
  • MrRobot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.