Round 9 - Cowboys vs Broncos

Regardless of losing it is a massive improvement for us to actually play a solid game after a win(or even two good performances in a row).

Our attack looks lethal when we score, it's not just lucky points we tend to break teams down completely when we score on them.

Tbh I thought we played pretty well, we just made a few too many errors in the end and lacked that but of polish to ice the game.

If we play with the same intent and intensity for the rest of the year, we will win more than we lose.

Great game to watch tho. Reminded me of the previous cliffhangers we used to have before we both sucked.

How good is Herbie! His blinding acceleration and evasive footwork is outstanding, and he's almost as quick as Coates (if not quicker cos he moves better).

What a killer backline we'll have with Staggs back.

Having said that, Arthars played really well too. We have so many points in us

TPJ needs to pull his head in. Cowboys wouldn’t have got in position if he didn’t come flying in looking for a strip.

Missed most of the game, turned it in to see Clifford running around Milford.

Then watched Isaako make two feeble tackle attempts in a row.

Flicked back to the reds game after that. Knew they were gone

We were the dominant team but squandered it with poor ball control. We would have had 3-4 more tries if not for crucial errors. Isaako's drop was a killer but they are fucking hard to catch, and he caught all the others. I thought the one he spilled during his break was more costly.

Our pack was great but it was undone by errors - mostly their own. Haas, TPJ, (I think Lodge too?) had great games but dropped the ball right when we were on the boil and it killed us.

Milf's horrible defence once again shows how little he cares for the detail, and even playing for his career doesn't try to improve in that area. Overall though in attack I thought it was a solid game. We would have scored a lot more points has we not dropped the ball at the worst possible times. A good improvement compared to where we were earlier in the year, and more lessons learned that we'll be better for.

FTR, on their field goal, we successfully smothered their first and second plans. It was Plan C that they got the goods, you can't rush up on every player or you'll just end up with gaping holes in the defence and they'll stroll through instead.

Exactly
So frustrating because the way we played tonight isn't too far from top 8 imo. Just some small things here and there that bit us in the ass.
  • Milford's defence is pathetic. It's not just the technique, it's the effort. Look around the 10-11 minute mark in the 1st half, there's 2 in the tackle and the Cowboys player is still fighting for ground. Milf just stands there and watches for about 5 secs before he decides to get him to the ground. It's like he really didn't want to get involved until it was painfully obvious that he had to
  • Lodgey was the best player on the field in the 1st half. I understand he needs to go because he's getting paid double his worth (if we believe what the media says), but I think he's really stepped it up lately
  • I thought Gamble was outstanding in the 1st half, but went missing the 2nd 40. I see some saying he injured his shoulder, I missed that. I was thinking maybe his fitness isn't at 1st grade level yet, so might need some time to get used to the speed of the game. He was robbed of a try assist when he laid on a try for Carrigan
  • I don't think Gamble going missing and the poor 2nd half is a coincidence. When we have to lean on Milf to be the primary playmaker, we shit the bed because his decision making is terrible. Too many times you'll see someone running off Milf and 2 defenders will line them up but Milf chucks the short ball anyway. Edit: Just wanted to add ball control was the biggest factor in us losing the 2nd half, not trying to blame Milf for everything
  • Isaako is the most frustrating player to watch. You see the talent, but the crucial errors kill me man. Even though I'm not sure he was ever going to get that ball before Lemuelu, he just seemed so half-assed the way he ran over. I think this is a real issue, there seems no desperation from him on defence
Exactly your last point on isaako. He doesnt want to do the 1%ers that fullbacks do or the stuff that doesnt look pretty (urgency and positioning at the back, support play).

For example, look at hynes and dufty. Neither are elite, so this would be a fairer representation of skill levels. Their work off the ball is light years ahead of isaako. They usually place themselves behind the ruck to be ready to support players but then also move to be in backline movements.

Their urgency and following the ball in defence is also much better

Exactly

Exactly your last point on isaako. He doesnt want to do the 1%ers that fullbacks do or the stuff that doesnt look pretty (urgency and positioning at the back, support play).

For example, look at hynes and dufty. Neither are elite, so this would be a fairer representation of skill levels. Their work off the ball is light years ahead of isaako. They usually place themselves behind the ruck to be ready to support players but then also move to be in backline movements.

Their urgency and following the ball in defence is also much better

I don't think Isaako is intellectually capable of processing complex plays. It interferes too much with his ego. Put Herbie at the back, Isaako into the centres where he doesn't really need to think, and Arthars on the wing (with Coates in ISC)

What minute of the game was tpj taking on the captaincy?

What minute of the game was tpj taking on the captaincy?
That was funny, the ref was asking who was the captain, TPJ said carrigan but carrigan was off. So the ref asked him twice more who the captain was when carrigan was off and he basically shrugged and nominated himself.

But hey, at least it was good to see someone put their hand up to say they want to lead.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Scorchie
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • Fitzy
  • Spike
  • Broncorob
  • Rookie Alan
  • Organix
  • Adammacca
  • IceWorks
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.