Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Calzaghe_v_Jones_register_350.jpg

This fight is on PPV on Sunday, anyone getting it?

Zab Judah is on the undercard also. Should be a good fight, hopefully Roy can wind back the clock.

Very interesting will be intrigued to see the results unfortunately won't be able to watch it.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Very interesting will be intrigued to see the results unfortunately won't be able to watch it.

Obviously Roy is my favourite fighter so I would buy it regardless, but the undercard doesn't look like it will be complete shit for a change. Zab Judah is fighting on it and he was headlining PPVs a couple of fights ago.

I can see Calzaghe winning this one, but i'll be cheering for Roy Jones, won't be getting it on PPV but will be downloading it. icon_smile

Yeah that's right, Zab isn't going like he was but can certainly still put on an entertaining fight. I have a soft spot for Roy and would love to see him win, I assume he has a decent size advantage?

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Yeah that's right, Zab isn't going like he was but can certainly still put on an entertaining fight. I have a soft spot for Roy and would love to see him win, I assume he has a decent size advantage?

No he doesn't really. Roy has always been a natural 168/175 pounder much like Calzaghe. Joe has struggled for years to make 168 and no longer can, whilst Roy could probably still do it. If anything I would give a very slight size advantage to Calzaghe.

Watch for Judah in the future. He has been fighting at 147 over the past few years - a weight class he is obviously too small for. This is his first fight back down at 140 - which is already a weakish division - and I would not be surprised to see him achieve something there and win a belt or two. The other big players in that division are Ricky Hatton (who is definatley on the decline), Pauli Malignaggi (who would match up poorly against Judah) and Timothy Bradley who is still a bit of an unknown quantity given his only win of any real note was against the incredibly overrated Junion Witter.

As far as Roy winning, I would favour Calzaghe very slightly, mayne 60/40. But Roy has been saying some things this past week that have increased my confidence. Roy is not one of those guys who typically talks himself up a great deal when he knows he doesn't have it, and he has been saying he feels back to his best right now. Hopefully he can pull it off.

As expected, Calzaghe won easily, i was excited when he was knocked down in the first, but it was one way traffic after that unfortunately.

fenomeno said:
As expected, Calzaghe won easily, i was excited when he was knocked down in the first, but it was one way traffic after that unfortunately.

Yeah it was a good win for Calzaghe, but Roy is very clearly done. I hope Roy hangs them up now, he is such a shell of his former self and he has nothing left to prove. The way he was talking after the fight suggests he might actually retire. It was different to after his other losses, there was a certain feeling of resignation about him. Hopefully this is the end.

robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

Yeah it was a good win for Calzaghe, but Roy is very clearly done. I hope Roy hangs them up now, he is such a shell of his former self and he has nothing left to prove. The way he was talking after the fight suggests he might actually retire. It was different to after his other losses, there was a certain feeling of resignation about him. Hopefully this is the end.

Lets hope so, nothing worse then seeing fighters continue to fight when they are past it, the sad thing is, it happens to every great fighter, every single one of them.

fenomeno said:
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

Lets hope so, nothing worse then seeing fighters continue to fight when they are past it, the sad thing is, it happens to every great fighter, every single one of them.

I find it sadder when they do it out of financial necessity, which is definately not the case with Roy. I dunno, the only fights left are rematches with Johnson and BHop, and I don't think the public wanna see it or that Jones would win either, so he should just ride off into the sunset.

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  • Jason Simmons
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Tmac
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • IceWorks
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.