Rugby stars prove inspiration for superboot Kahu

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
JORDAN Kahu has revealed how studying the best goalkickers in rugby union has given the Broncos an extra edge with the boot.

The ultra-reliable Kahu is already a versatile member of Brisbane’s back five, but it is his accurate goalkicking which could prove a crucial weapon for the Broncos in the run to the finals.

Once rated by Immortal Andrew Johns as the best striker of the ball he had seen, Kahu has landed 58 goals from 71 attempts this season for an 81 per cent success rate.

It is an improvement on Brisbane’s retired sharpshooter Corey Parker, who kicked at 65 per cent in his final campaign last season – well below his respectable career mark of 73 per cent.

Kahu landed seven from eight in Brisbane’s 42-12 flogging of the Bulldogs last week. Of goalkickers with 50 or more attempts this season, Kahu is ranked fourth in the league, behind only Nathan Cleary (90 per cent), Adam Reynolds (88 per cent) and James Maloney (85 per cent).

With so much at stake in the playoffs, Kahu’s goalkicking radar could prove decisive and he attributed his accuracy to learning from the best kickers in world rugby union.

Just last week, South African Ruan Combrinck landed a monster 58-metre penalty to win a Super Rugby quarter-final for the Lions. Kahu also admires Welsh superboot Leigh Halfpenny, who kicked at 88 per cent in this year’s Six Nations.

“I watch a lot of rugby union kickers,” Kahu said.

“I love them watching them and kicking the ball as straight as I can.

“That’s something that they do and any little tips I can get by watching others I will take.

“I have been following Leigh Halfpenny a bit and I look at the European and South African kickers.

“They are pretty handy and I always wish I was a left-footed kicker just because they look a bit nicer.

“Last year I had a different run-up which was a bit less stable and inconsistent, but this year I am focusing on making sure my steps are the same going forward and it’s working.”

With Corey Oates sidelined for at least the next three weeks with a staph infection, Kahu has also solved coach Wayne Bennett’s wing dilemma.

The Kiwi Test utility would ideally like to play in the centres but his ability to handle wing and fullback makes Kahu a vital option for Bennett.

“For the team I am better suited to the wing at the moment where there isn’t experienced wingers,” said Kahu, who plays his 73rd NRL game against Parramatta on Thursday night.

“Oatesy is definitely a metre-eating kind of winger, whereas I am more versatile and like to work with ‘Darbs’ (fullback Darius Boyd) and give him opportunities at the back.

“Over the last couple of years, having that fullback experience has been good for me to understand how much you need a winger to talk to you and move for you as well.

“I definitely understood why I was put back on the wing.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h/news-story/6066b6971be44744e654b92a260109da

As a private schoolboy I played union the whole way through, and one things that was absolutely drilled into us in union was the importance of low body height to win the contact. It's another union tactic I often wonder why isn't more prevalent in league...

You see some player's like Sammy use low body height, but that's more about dropping to the ground for a quick play the ball, rather than driving through the tackling player, who is usually quite high in the modern game.

Particularly close to the try line I would like to see more big forwards use this. There is one try that stands out from (Molo) Edit: Hala, I think it was his debut try, if not one of his first, where he drove over close to the sticks with low body height. He was unstoppable with his technique, one of my mates mentioned at the time he had a union background, being from NZ I'd say that's correct.

Last edited:
Particularly close to the try line I would like to see more big forwards use this. There is one try that stands out from Molo, I think it was his debut try, if not one of his first, where he drove over close to the sticks with low body height. He was unstoppable with his technique, one of my mates mentioned at the time he had a union background, being from NZ I'd say that's correct.

Molo never scored a try.

You're not referring to Hala's try against the Dragons, are you?

Wish Kahu had a chance to learn some super kicking from Lockyer :glasscageofemotion:!

Watching that old footage makes me miss the real Immortal (not druggie Johns)

I really hope they don't resign Benji, they should give Benjis money to Kahu.

His kicking is top notch and so good to have a more reliable kicker in the team. If he really wants to study the rugby fellas, he should look no further than Grant Fox, possibly the goat 5/8's.

comes out today. got my copy pre-ordered, unfortunately i can't pick it up until Monday

How much did you get it for? I got mine for $69.99 online but need to wait for it to get delivered and it might be awhile.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.