Rule Changes

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.nrl.com/commission-rules-on-on-field-issues/tabid/10874/newsid/70537/default.aspx

The Australian Rugby League Commission has today approved the removal of the ‘benefit of the doubt’ call and supported a change in the way video referees are called on to make decisions in a meeting that has finalised a series of key on-field issues for 2013, including a resolution of State of Origin eligibility.
From 2013 no player will be eligible to play for NSW or Queensland unless he has lived in that state before the age of thirteen, or unless he is the son of an Origin player. The player must also be eligible to play for Australia.

Great changes, absolutely great! Obviously the under 13 rule will not solve all problems, but at least we have a hard and fast rule we can apply now.

With the exception of the decision to ban shoulder charges, I think that's a good move. I'm curious about the Origin rule though -- if you lived in both states before 13 does that mean you get to choose?

With the exception of the decision to ban shoulder charges, I think that's a good move. I'm curious about the Origin rule though -- if you lived in both states before 13 does that mean you get to choose?

This is the problem. It still opens it up to ambiguity. Would be better to simply make it "the state you lived in longest before the age of 13". Not perfect, but still black and white.

Not long before they lower the interchange and change the separation rule.

Are torso tries still around?

Dumbest rule in the game.

Control with the hand/s please!, so many times this year players just had a fingernail on the ball and they awarded it after looking at it 50 times.

The video ref. change sounds interesting.

So it's basically like DRS where the ref. makes a decision before sending it upstairs, video ref. looks over the key components of the try (grounding, onside etc.) and only changes the decision if there is a definite over-sight. Will be interesting to see in practice but on paper it sounds like a better system than what we had going. On-field refs. hold the power while video refs. will look to remove any howlers.

Great news. Great to see the 'benifet of the doubt' scrapped, some of the decisions this year were some of the craziest I've ever seen in any sport.

Will the video be able to rule on forward passes yet?

I think it means you can't be a kiwi and play origin

too late for me. Rugby League has done its dash.

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • theshed
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
  • Jazza
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.