[Rumour] The Hunt for Karmichael's return to Broncos.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This looks to be a bit of a nothing story but I for one would cream myself at the thought of a Macca, Hunt (or even better DCE), Hunt, Barba spine.

Would you want him back?

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

BRISBANE has been urged to sound out Karmichael Hunt over a fairytale return to the NRL club next season.The Broncos, lurching towards the worst season in the club's proud history, are in desperate need of star power and Hunt -- the first sportsperson in Australia to reach the elite professional level in three different football codes -- would fit the bill.
While his switch to the AFL with the Gold Coast Suns has been an unquestioned success, Hunt has been forced to endure a stint in reserve grade in recent weeks after struggling with a hamstring injury and the improving quality of the fledgling club's list.
That could prompt the Broncos to make a move for a player who made his debut for the club as a teenager and spent six years in Brisbane colours before switching codes, first to rugby union and then the AFL.

"A lot of the old timers would say don't bother, he made his decision to leave the code, but the one thing the Broncos need at the moment is to show some vision," former Broncos captain and Immortal Wally Lewis said.
"They showed that when they tried to sign Greg Inglis a few years ago but unfortunately that deal never came off. Vision was always something they displayed so well throughout their premiership years.
"Now that times are a little tough they need to show it again. I think it's something every coach that gets into first grade realises -- it doesn't matter what your usual rules and plans are, sometimes you have to look outside the box."
Hunt would be just that. Before leaving the club, enticed by mega-bucks from the AFL and the opportunity to be the face of the Suns in their formative years, he was being groomed to eventually take over the five-eighth spot and captaincy from Darren Lockyer.
If the Broncos could convince him to return, it would most likely be in the halves. Although Hunt played most of his NRL career at fullback -- he appeared in a handful of games for the Broncos at five-eighth and one game for Queensland in the No 6 jersey -- Canterbury custodian Ben Barba has been widely tipped to join the Broncos next season.
Hunt would augment Barba's expected arrival and transform the Broncos' roster.
But there would be hurdles to overcome. Hunt has another year remaining on his lucrative deal with the Suns and has thus far shown no inclination to return to the game that made him famous.
But at 26, time is running out for a return to rugby league. On the flip side, the Broncos need to take some risks. The club has won only six games this season and Friday night's trip to Townsville shapes as a must-win clash for both the Broncos and North Queensland.
Should Brisbane lose, its season will be over. So would its hopes of avoiding the worst season in the club's history. On two occasions the Broncos have won only 11 games -- in 2007 and 2010. They need to win five of their final six games just to match that record. Given the club's form this season, that appears unlikely.
Hunt would lift the spirits of a club that is languishing in foreign territory. His arrival on the Gold Coast gave the fledgling club the sort of exposure it craved. He earned his keep too.
While Folau never picked up the nuances of the AFL, Hunt had played the game before and proved he could master the code. He wasn't a star but he was more than serviceable. Now he finds himself being swamped by the young guns coming through the Suns system.

He seems happy playing for the Suns and would be surprised if he comes back but I would feel great if he came back I really rated him as a player and enjoyed watching him play.

I have to disagree. I can't blame a guy for taking the kind of money he was offered. Maybe the club should know better than to invest their future so heavily in one player, and if they did think he was the future of the club, they should've signed him to a long contract early on.

Give me SJ, Barba or DCE any day. Hunt can **** off to another club that'll offer him more money than we will.

Nah, screw him.

If he hadn't left then Israel Folau wouldn't have either.

He's been out of the game for too long too.

I feel like I'm going to be in the extreme minority here, but I'd have him back as our fullback.

Despite the manner in which he left, he always gave his all for us on the field. The only time he really let us down was Alhambragate, which was allegedly the catalyst for his departure.

That said, I don't think he'd be interested in coming back to league, and I'm not sure if we'd be interested in him either.

1. B.Barba
6. K.Hunt
7. B.Hunt
9. C.Smith

Alright, that'll do.

I'll go against the tide too, I'd love to see him back. He might be a prick and he screwed over the club to some extent BUT he gave spectacular service while he was here too. With his AFL stamina he'd run the NRL off its feet. I too would have him at FB, that would give us 2x halves, a FB and a hooker with decent kicking games. #6 on one side of the play-the-ball, #7 on the other with Hunt roaming across both sides from the back...that right there is the unpredictability we need.

Plus, he's probably faster than anyone else in our squad too.

He is also a leader - I think a good talker at FB who can read the game and push players around as needed (he was great at this and would pick it up again quickly IMO) would make a massive difference even if all else stayed the same.

We need at least one of Hunt / Barba / DCE / Cam Smith - stat!!

No thanks .... he's done his dash with me.

I seriously doubt he'd come back anyway ..... too many easy $$$$ in AFL for him ATM.

"Hunt -- the first sportsperson in Australia to reach the elite professional level in three different football codes"

this pisses me off - he didnt "reach" the elite professional level in three different codes, he reached it in one and was then used as a PR stunt by the other 2. slotting straight into the "elite" level of one sport because you made it in another doesnt qualify as "reaching the elite level" in any way to me.

"While his switch to the AFL with the Gold Coast Suns has been an unquestioned success"

pull the other one lol. unquestioned success? really? he started off shit, improved a bit, and now is about at the base level of what youd expect from a first grade AFL player. hes about on the same level as an 18 year old rookie in his first year. i wouldnt call that an unquestioned success.

dont even think about it hunt, we dont want or need you or your ego.

He kicked one goal to win a game and he's now considered elite?

He was a gun and we'd be easily in the top 8 with him at fullback not blowing opportunities like Norman. I'm past the point of caring about how we got betrayed and being proud. Now I just want to win. I mean, I'd still take Inglis too, even after he backed out in the last minute.

What are the chances Hunt would come back to us, tail between his legs and accept a Hodges 2005 deal?

If he does come back to the NRL, it's because the AFL aren't paying him and it'd save him from having to go overseas to earn a good paycheque.

Honestly I don't think he'd be worth a marquee deal either. Hunt will always be a handy player but he wouldn't be the superstar we're after. Especially now that he hasn't played the game for 4 years now.

Was a fan of Hunt but it's time to move on.

I've literally haven't seen you support a single signing option this year Pete.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Notorious
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • kiwibronco
  • Shane Tronc
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.