NEWS Run Anthony, run!

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Peter Badel & Chris Honnery report on Seibold's plan to unshackle Anthony Milford.

Millionaire play-boy.

Despite being the prize playmaker on a million bucks a year, received wisdom has accepted the NRL's richest club's most valuable player ever isn't up to thinking beyond his own box. Coach
Anthony Seibold has resigned himself to only having a reactive player in the crucial play-calling position of five-eighth and instructed Milford to merely “run the ball.” This follows Seibold's disastrous attempt to hide bumbling captain, Darius Boyd at second receiver last season. The onus is now on Storm discard Brodie Croft to conduct the entire orchestra:

“I just want Anthony to run this season. Run the ball,” Seibold said. “’Milf’ is just a natural football player. When he plays unshackled, he is as good as anyone in the comp. What I want from ‘Milf’ this season is simple – I want to free him up. The reason I brought in Brodie (from the Storm) and have Tom Dearden as a back-up No.7 is so that they can organise the team and, that way, ‘Milf’ can play eyes-up footy. Having Brodie frees Anthony up. Milf is an elite talent, I can’t coach the gifts he has got, but now I want him to run and play direct and back himself.”

Legendary fullback Gary Belcher remains positive:

“I don’t think ‘Milly’ needs that responsibility (of being in the leadership group). I don’t think it matters, without talking about his salary, that he is not in the leadership group. We have a specific role for Milly to play. We want all of our players to lead with their actions on the field and out here at training. That is not an unusual decision to not have your number six in the leadership group.

“In some ways, Milf is an uncomfortable leader. I just want him to focus on himself. I think he has had a really good pre-season with some of that pressure taken off him and I expect him to shine this year, I really do.”

As does captain-in-waiting Alex Glenn:

“I honestly think five-eighth is his best position. Croft is sort of like our commander. In previous years, we’ve had Milford and Kodi (Nikorima), who are two very similar players, and trying to change their game to be a commander. That can easily throw you off. We’ve seen what Milly can do when he has a commanding halfback, for example Benny Hunt in 2015, and Milford was allowed to play his own game. He needs to get his hands on the ball as much as he can, without having to think too much … that’s when he’s at his best.”

What can a million buy you these days, anyway?

McHunt

Last edited:
I'll believe it when i see it, Milf is a great example of talent that has gone nowhere.
I hope he has a cracker year. But if he doesn't, i hope we see the back of him.

18 months of lightning in a bottle.

And an ocean of frustration since.

Eyes up footy, that's when you know the modern football strategy is all coming together.

This is exactly what Milford needs IMO. His price tag has exactly NOTHING to do with him having to do something that never was his forte, but for his talent to do what most players cannot do...

Bennett tried and miserably failed to push a square peg into a round hole with Anthony, which was one of the main reasons I was happy to see the back of him. I hope Milf can go back to the destructive runner he once was and hasn't been ruined permanently...

I was opening this up expecting to see advice to Anthony Milford to get the hell out of the Broncos ASAP.

I was opening this up expecting to see advice to Anthony Milford to get the hell out of the Broncos ASAP.
Not the intention, but you have the author's permission to read it that way too.

Last edited:
Not the intention, but you have the author's permission to read it that way too.
Oh I know just the title lol. I also thought it might be Seibold as well haha

Last edited:
All well and good saying run the ball but the opposition have that bit worked out. They sweat on him getting it and hammer him as soon as he touches it.
He needs to take them on when they're not expecting it. Needs to go looking for it, a few darts out of dummy half with quick ptb or following one of our big boppers through and an off load. When he receives the ball in structured play he simply gets belted every time.

I feel like this is something like the 4th time we've seen this article, and it never happens. Considering his cap takeup, Milf is on eggshells as well.

All well and good saying run the ball but the opposition have that bit worked out. They sweat on him getting it and hammer him as soon as he touches it.
He needs to take them on when they're not expecting it. Needs to go looking for it, a few darts out of dummy half with quick ptb or following one of our big boppers through and an off load. When he receives the ball in structured play he simply gets belted every time.
He Gets caught each time he gets the ball because he consistently gets the ball passed to him from that stupid play where the hooker passes it to a prop who takes 2 steps and then throws a slow loopey pass to him.

Croft's break in the trial against the titans showed that our attack is best off quick play the balls, running more direct and when the halves get the ball directly from the ruck.

that stupid play where the hooker passes it to a prop who takes 2 steps and then throws a
Hopefully we'll be spared that particular hooker for a good fifty minutes a game if Turpin can steer clear of the judiciary.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.