Sam Tagatese Signs One-Year Extension

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/201...TQ_e_BVxuz27QxmycMu--w1YylLKZhTc2W_6h8hv2LIBg

The New 'Sammy T' Signs One-Year Extension

SAM Tagataese says he wants to take himself 'to a new place' as a player after signing a one-year contract extension with the Broncos.
The 31-year-old premiership winner with the Sharks made just four appearances with Brisbane in his first year at the club.
But he was 18th man several times and his strong work ethic and reliability around a crop of young forwards at the Broncos has convinced the club to re-sign him.
Still, rather than just be a fall-back veteran, the 172-gamer has challenged himself to produce the best for of his career.

I wasn't sure what had happened with him, good luck to him but it will be tough to make first grade, tougher then 2018 too.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure what had happened with him, good luck to him but it will be tough to make first grade, tougher then 2018 too.

It shouldn't really be tougher than 2018 considering we're losing Thaiday & Sims who were both sure things when fit. He'll be one of the only fringe veteran middle forwards on the roster now, would probably only take 1 injury or 1 player under-performing and he'll have a regular spot in the rotation.

Injury/Origin coverage and that's about it. Very rarely does a 31 year old player find the 2nd wind needed to overtake the sort of younger talents in front of him like he has right now.

It shouldn't really be tougher than 2018 considering we're losing Thaiday & Sims who were both sure things when fit. He'll be one of the only fringe veteran middle forwards on the roster now, would probably only take 1 injury or 1 player under-performing and he'll have a regular spot in the rotation.

I don't know about that, you got Gillett returning(granted no certainty) a lot of youngsters got blooded who not only showed they could handle their taste of first grade but actually handle the pressure of week to week regular appearance and will be much better for it and pressing for spots in the side which not all will make as well meaning depth. You also have Savelio and Haas returning from injury and Carrigan knocking on the door for a debut.

Point is in 2018 he was up against a lot of youngsters who were inexperienced and he was looked over and failed to really push for a spot when the opportunity was there. Now a lot of those youngsters have a decent amount of NRL experience under their belt and impressed too, that only makes it tougher combined with players returning from injury.

Last edited:
There is no negative to this re-signing. He will be on near minimum wage, seems to have a great attitude, has a lot of experience, and is a proven nrl level player. Whilst the young forwards we have are massively talented they do need to learn off someone.

Gillett will be very focused on coming back from injury himself and glenn has his hands full keeping the young guns from putting him on the bench. Mcguire is our only real teacher/leader in the pack who the young ones can look too in the tough times when things arent going right for them, and that will happen! Although tagatese will struggle to make the team, the way he speaks sounds like he knows he is there to work hard, provide back up and help the younger guys. We also arent as well stocked in the forwards as it seems, 2 injuries and we are debuting players. Although they appear very ready for the debut (carrigan and savelio in particular) their debut shouldnt be forced on them, it should be forced on the coach through performances...

We’ve reached peak Broncos signing announcements. Months of speculation over 3 legitimate stars and whether they’ll re-sign and we get a year extension of Tagataese ffs

Bennett has given him another stay of execution not dissimilar to Travis Waddell. His new life as a removalist is at least another year away.

We’ve reached peak Broncos signing announcements. Months of speculation over 3 legitimate stars and whether they’ll re-sign and we get a year extension of Tagataese ffs
Could be worse. We could be the Knights

Rumour- David Klemmer Signs- James Gavet
Rumour- TPJ Signs- Jamie Buhrer
Rumour- James Segeyaro Signs- Zac Woolford
Rumour- Kurt Mann Signs- Sale Finau
Rumour Issac Luke- Signs Mason Lino
Rumour Marty Taupau Signs- 3 juniors nobody has heard of

Maybe Nathan Brown needs to start thinking with his little head

Could be worse. We could be the Knights

Rumour- David Klemmer Signs- James Gavet
Rumour- TPJ Signs- Jamie Buhrer
Rumour- James Segeyaro Signs- Zac Woolford
Rumour- Kurt Mann Signs- Sale Finau
Rumour Issac Luke- Signs Mason Lino
Rumour Marty Taupau Signs- 3 juniors nobody has heard of

Maybe Nathan Brown needs to start thinking with his little head

He must have a lot of faith in his top 17, because he has gone all in on the depth signings so far.

Yes, it's true. I'm happy he got another turn about. Very few on here thought he was a good buy last year but people who count thought he was worth paying a wage to and they again see value in him. I thought he should have been given more opportunities this year and he didn't do anything wrong when he had those four games. Personally I disagreed with WB on Taga's use and I would have started him with Lodge in at least half the games but I do have to defer to WB's far greater experience and knowledge.

In hindsight I think he would have been better suited to the Titans but if you only have to play once a week, get free top class physical support and all the accoutrements the modern athlete enjoys plus 150k then I think he did well. I think it will still be a good investment.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.