NEWS Sam Walker signs with Roosters

I know we can’t keep them all, but given this amount of interest, I’d hate to see him end up killing it at another club. With all this attention, we can’t use the excuse that he slipped through or he wasn’t good enough as a kid (Cronk, Smith, slater etc)

You’d like to think our recruiters have key indicators that they check off when a player is still a kid, if he meets all those indicators (ala Mr P Haas, Fifita etc) he has to stay.

Last edited:
Give his dad a consultancy coaching job (assuming he wants to remain at the Jets) worth 300k+.

The last kid who had this much hype was one Payne in the Haas, he turned out alright, so lock this kid up.

Its hard, we have so many "hyped up" young halves and there is no way we will be able ro keep them all.

Although natural ability/" the x factor" is great, i would be looking to retain at least one with a high footy IQ, good kicking game (which is an aspect many younger halves dont have), provides try assists and can compliment another running half as these are rarer qualities in the new generation of players.

does anyone who has watched this kid play know if he has played fullback at all?

yeh that might be the only card we can play with him and his family right now; a pathway that sees him replace Boyd at fullback.....but thats a risk to, as we have zero idea how he'd handle it..but then again didn't do Locky any harm playing fullback first did it...or Ponga currently..

Have to wait and see..

I sort of get the feeling we need to keep this kid. Not sure how, but we need to make it happen. I hate the thought of him carving up for someone else.

If this kid is really that good than he should back himself and stay with the Broncos. We have a young halfback who is progressing very well, but he is hardly established. A fullback who should already be hanging up the boots and surely is not too far off. Then we have Milf who is not consistent enough to justify his excessively large paycheck (He is in good form atm)

I would say his potential pathway here is better than most other clubs. I would imagine our club will be making him very aware of that.

If we keep him could we eventually end up with

1 Milford
6 Walker
7 Deardan
9 Turpin

I sort of get the feeling we need to keep this kid. Not sure how, but we need to make it happen. I hate the thought of him carving up for someone else.

That's what a lot of us said about Ash Taylor, me included.

As I see it, we have gone with Dearden who is looking exactly what we need at half back. For mine Dearden is class and it is starting to show.

As for the ongoing Milford hate, I just can't get my head around that. He was our best last year, and is shaping up again in this regard this year under a new coach.

Look at his last 2 solo tries, his kicking game, how he has started a combination with Dearden. For mine we have the halves combination we need for the foreseeable future, and what we need to be looking at is our FB options more than any other position

Last edited:
That's what a lot of us said about Ash Taylor, me included.

As I see it, we have gone with Dearden who is looking exactly what we need at half back. For mine Dearden is class and it is starting to show.

I don't think we need to look for a halfback either, but for a different reason - because Dearden is going to need a few years to show us if he's the right one or not. A lot of halves come in full of promise, but never seem to develop enough. Cleary is the perfect example right now. I hope he succeeds, but we still need to be cautiously optimistic.

I think Tommy has more to his game than good defence and a passable kicking game. I'm sure he's been told to do nothing but the basics until such times as Siebs feels he has had time to adjust to the pace of the game. Then he'll allow,him to play a little more heads up footy.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.