NEWS SCG set to host 2020, 2021 NRL Grand Finals

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANZ Stadium will undergo a facelift after next year's State of Origin series, handing the Sydney Cricket Ground the rights to at least two NRL grand finals during construction.

NRL.com

This to me just highlights the incompetence of the NRL.

The SCG is a terrible ground to watch Rugby League at. Meanwhile you've got the best Rugby League stadium in the world in Brisbane that has a higher capacity and they don't take it there?

I agree, dumb move. Why not take it around the country instead of playing it in Sydney at an unsuitable venue? Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth?

This was news last year wasn't it? It's bullshit. They have the perfect opportunity and excuse to take the GF to the best League stadium in the world, but they won't. Useless *****.

This was news last year wasn't it? It's bullshit. They have the perfect opportunity and excuse to take the GF to the best League stadium in the world, but they won't. Useless *****.

Yep we got the magic round as a consolation.........Hooray!

They legally can’t. They signed a deal with Sydney that they must hold a grand final in Sydney for the next twenty years or something.
I think I should go to Brisbane of Melbourne or even Perth if State of Origin is a success

They legally can’t. They signed a deal with Sydney that they must hold a grand final in Sydney for the next twenty years or something.

That's the problem, the NRL are the ones that agreed to that. And from my understanding, they aren't actually legally obligated to host the GF in Sydney during the construction of the new Stadium.

This is all about state vs state politics within the NRL and everyone knows it. Old dogs from the NSWRL who are still dagging around the ass of the comp couldn't stomach the idea of Lang Park having the Grand Final. They're the same petty little shits they always were.

Cut the heavy NSWRL politics out of it for a second, the SCG is never going to be a NRL ground again
No atmosphere, fans are a long way back from the action and its actually a lower crowd figure. They had an option to give Suncorp a crack for a couple of years then revert back to ANZ (which I would be more than happy with) and they failed miserably. Feel sorry for the fans of the team that make the grand final those years

They had the opportunity to play a Grand Final in Brisbane or Melbourne and instead went with the SCG.................typical BS we have come to expect from the NRL. As run down as the fucking SFS has become at least it was designed to be for league that's why they made the move there, at least in Melbourne even if the MCG isn't designed for League you could justify it with the crowd figure you could potentially draw.

Perfect opportunity to promote the game, nope too much to ask.

SCG is a fucking trash ground to watch rugby league.

I remember watching the Centenary Test there in 2008, and I spent most of the game watching the big screen because you're so far from the action.

To be Honest ANZ is a trash Ground to watch Footy from anyway, the stands are Soo flat you can't see crap.

NRL Grand Final should change every year, look what NFL do, they allow any City in America that has a Team to host the Superbowl, we should do it at all the Major Capitals atleast to promote the game, no matter where you put it, you will get a full stadium anyway.

The NRL have Zero Vision and they wonder why there is barely any growth in the game, half the country doesn't even know it exists.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Santa
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.