CRICKET Second Test- Australia v South Africa

Bavuma deadset ran 2 of his mates out, other than that they were fighting hard

It's a shame RSA have this stupid quota policy. They're forced to keep picking a few duds to meet it.

I have never heard of this quota but does it have to do with skin colour?
Apparently it’s more of a ‘target’ but the aim is to have 6 players of colour of which 2 are black Africans. That leaves 5 whiteys to round out the game day XI.

Apparently it’s more of a ‘target’ but the aim is to have 6 players of colour of which 2 are black Africans. That leaves 5 whiteys to round out the game day XI.
Thanks for that. I did my research on it and it seems like a really odd quota. Not really seeing what the Proteas get out of that many players of colour if they clearly aren’t the best. Obviously Rabada is good and I am assuming so is Maharaj (comparative to other spinners in SA). Considering how bad even the white batsman are Bavuma’s spot isn’t overly in question. Ngidi is a weird one cause he performs in white ball and probably performs better against other nations but Zondo well and truly seems like he might be getting picked off that quota.

It’s not like SA have a zillion amazing white guys not getting picked because of this system. They are in a historical batting lull, where are the white guts knocking the door down and not getting picked? It also isn’t like Rabada is there just because he’s black, he’s arguable in the top two bowlers in test cricket. Ngidi’s record is excellent even though it doesn’t look like it so far. Their batting is so bad Bavuma is their second best batter.

A lot of the best SA talent go play country cricket in England to try and get a visa or something, that’s the issue.

Thanks for that. I did my research on it and it seems like a really odd quota. Not really seeing what the Proteas get out of that many players of colour if they clearly aren’t the best. Obviously Rabada is good and I am assuming so is Maharaj (comparative to other spinners in SA). Considering how bad even the white batsman are Bavuma’s spot isn’t overly in question. Ngidi is a weird one cause he performs in white ball and probably performs better against other nations but Zondo well and truly seems like he might be getting picked off that quota.

Why is it odd that the country that stopped black people playing for 50 years now has to try and get 80% of the country playing the sport again?

It's across all three formats and across the season- it's not six per game.

Who are the white players averaging 60 in Test cricket kept at home? There are none- when SA lose it's Ntini's fault he lived with that for 100 Tests.

What about Ashton Agar?

Not against Agar, think he's more a OD bowler now, he can't make the Shield side be a big call to pick him for the Test. He played against the Bulls and took one wicket at the 'Gabba. He hasn't had much luck with injuries lately.

He turns it the other way to Lyon which would be a tick.

It’s not about the next man up always. At the minute the likely side will be Cummins, Hazlewood and Boland. Interchange any one of those players with Neser and you have the same issue. The issue that they are all line and length ‘handkerchief bowlers’. Cummins is a little bit less handkerchief since he likes to variate his lengths a bit more so that when he bowls the handkerchief ball he increases the likelihood of a wicket. Regardless none of them are intimidators, look you very well could get away with it against this batting from SA but if you don’t tactically play smart against teams you can win without having to just so someone who in my opinion deserves it can’t wear a baggy green.

Cummins, Hazlewood and Morris for mine next test match.

When Australia won in India in 2004, they used McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz, Hauritz, Warne as the front-line bowlers.

Warne aside that would be the most boring attack in history and they got the result that plenty of other attacks couldn't and haven't since.

Why is it odd that the country that stopped black people playing for 50 years now has to try and get 80% of the country playing the sport again?

It's across all three formats and across the season- it's not six per game.

Who are the white players averaging 60 in Test cricket kept at home? There are none- when SA lose it's Ntini's fault he lived with that for 100 Tests.
Original convo may have missed that context but I think the point Fitzy was making is a fair one - teams should be picked on merit rather than to meet a quota. I don't know enough beyond that to weigh in on the political stuff.

Ultimately the sad reality is their current crop of batsmen don't hold a patch on some of the others they have produced in recent decades. Shame given how talked up their team was heading over here.

This test is the one that broke South Africa, in the first game it was Travis Head's good innings that proved the difference, in this test the difference was in all 3 facets of the game. They were completely outplayed.

Faf plays for the Scorchers tonight, I am sure he will lay his head on the pillow feeling a fair degree of shame, having someone like him in their top 6 would make a world of difference.

Original convo may have missed that context but I think the point Fitzy was making is a fair one - teams should be picked on merit rather than to meet a quota. I don't know enough beyond that to weigh in on the political stuff.

Ultimately the sad reality is their current crop of batsmen don't hold a patch on some of the others they have produced in recent decades. Shame given how talked up their team was heading over here.

Yet they weren't picked on merit from 1945 and wouldn't even play teams with black people included. You can't call for merit now.

Yet they weren't picked on merit from 1945 and wouldn't even play teams with black people included. You can't call for merit now.
Actually you can…… It’s the whole reason they got rid of apartheid. So people would be picked on merit rather than skin colour. Somehow you managed to completely miss that……wtf man?

This test is the one that broke South Africa, in the first game it was Travis Head's good innings that proved the difference, in this test the difference was in all 3 facets of the game. They were completely outplayed.

Faf plays for the Scorchers tonight, I am sure he will lay his head on the pillow feeling a fair degree of shame, having someone like him in their top 6 would make a world of difference.

He's 38 and SA didn't want him anymore. Boucher forced him out.

Actually you can…… It’s the whole reason they got rid of apartheid. So people would be picked on merit rather than skin colour. Somehow you managed to completely miss that……wtf man?

You have to fix it first, whole generations have been banned from playing. Do you just give up on 80% of the population and say bad luck?

Unless it’s part of a long term plan to slowly phase out whites from the sport, it’s racist…..you know what I mean.

He's 38 and SA didn't want him anymore. Boucher forced him out.

You can't tell me they wouldn't have him in their side, their captain literally said that they were lacking experience in their batting line up.

Right so because discrimination was okay in 1945 it's fine to continue with it now...

Interesting view of progress.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.