Seibold General Discussion

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
discuss.

Last edited:
It’s really starting to piss me off with the fact that he doesn’t seem to give two ***** about losing every week. Just the usual bullshit of we are learning and they are kids. Guess what, they won 15 games last year with practically the same squad. They thought they were moving forward with getting rid of Bennett but all they have done is accepted mediocre play from a team and a coach not being held accountable. The knives would have been out if this was Bennett last year. This club was built on consistency and not accepting mediocre results week in week out. Making the 8 is a minimum at this club. A FUCKING MINIMUM
And Paul White is to be held just accountable with his board room decisions
Heads need to start rolling within this club and it needs to be made clear that these fucking shit results are not tolerated at the broncos period

He's teaching us humility. Now we understand what it's like to be the competition easybeats. We've never been that before.

Still too early to make a call. He's got this season to clean out the players who won't play to his style. That being said there's a limit to leniency, if come round 16 we're 3 or 4 wins out of 16, then he's a lot closer to getting sacked than keeping his job.

It's a 25ish round season, I'm willing to give him basically the whole season, let's say we did sack him next week, what are we going to do? Get Kevin Walters to save our season? Get Griffin back so we can be competitive but have a dumb coach? lol.

We made a huge call sacking the best coach ever to bring on a rookie coach with 1 year NRL experience on a 5 year big money contract. We need to at least look at what he's able to do over the course of a whole season, there's plenty of players to be sacked, dropped, signed before I'm willing to write him off.

Right fucking now, he's shit, but things change quickly in the NRL. For both his sake and the sake of the team, I want his coaching to work out because the alternatives are not compelling so here's hoping with a few more player drops, adjusting some training techniques and whatever else an NRL coach may do gets the squad firing. I was never expecting a premiership with our spine but I do expect a competitive team.

Last edited:
Still too early to make a call. He's got this season to clean out the players who won't play to his style. That being said there's a limit to leniency, if come round 16 we're 3 or 4 wins out of 16, then he's a lot closer to getting sacked than keeping his job.

It's a 25ish round season, I'm willing to give him basically the whole season, let's say we did sack him next week, what are we going to do? Get Kevin Walters to save our season? Get Griffin back so we can be competitive but have a dumb coach? lol.

We made a huge call sacking the best coach ever to bring on a rookie coach with 1 year NRL experience on a 5 year big money contract. We need to at least look at what he's able to do over the course of a whole season, there's plenty of players to be sacked, dropped, signed before I'm willing to write him off.

Right fucking now, he's shit, but things change quickly in the NRL. For both his sake and the sake of the team, I want his coaching to work out because the alternatives are not compelling so here's hoping with a few more player drops, adjusting some training techniques and whatever else an NRL coach may do gets the squad firing. I was never expecting a premiership with our spine but I do expect a competitive team.

Great post Kimlo.

Positives:
He's starting to make some changes to things we could tell weren't really working
Blooding rookies (though do we have too many rookies at once?)

Negatives:
Everything else so far, even the first positive is only just the "start".

I have a feeling he kind of expected us to struggle, I remember posting on here after his interview with Triple M, how he said he doesn't think of an 8 week pre-season, he's thinking of a full 32 weeks in terms of improving. I think he expected us to start slow and slowly get better.

But we haven't yet, and that's worrying.

I'm hoping he's still got a long term plan that he believes in. With some players already gone, and some rumoured to be leaving, I'm hoping that he's got some high quality signings lined up on his radar. Something to help achieve his vision in the long run. I just hope we don't have to suffer like this for the rest of this season.

[
Positives:
He's starting to make some changes to things we could tell weren't really working

Negatives:

I have a feeling he kind of expected us to struggle, I remember posting on here after his interview with Triple M, how he said he doesn't think of an 8 week pre-season, he's thinking of a full 32 weeks in terms of improving. I think he expected us to start slow and slowly get better.

I'm hoping he's still got a long term plan that he believes in. With some players already gone, and some rumoured to be leaving, I'm hoping that he's got some high quality signings lined up on his radar. Something to help achieve his vision in the long run. I just hope we don't have to suffer like this for the rest of this season.

Thats a lot of hope mate...

I know we didnt get the premiership in the last few years, But i never remember relying on hope when WB was here.

This is the attitude I’m trying to sustain too. Yeah he’s going terribly right now but give him time to assemble the team he wants and for the players to adjust to his style.

The issue I face is, what successful coach has had this shakey of a start? Not just win % but a team looking so completely lost. You had Brad Arthur at the eels, and Brown at the knights but both of them had far worse squads than we do and both of them have still not produced anything as coaches till this day.

Bennett got this team to the finals and while they weren’t a premiership threat last year they have since completely fallen off a cliff.

I hope he is doing what he has to. Moving on Moose, Kahu, Sims, and Kodi. Possibly Roberts too. I hope he makes some big calls and builds a team that makes us a powerhouse from 2020 onwards. I will eat humble pie with glee...but Im finding it harder and harder to see that happening at the moment.

Seibs may just be another career assistant coach. Very knowledgeable from a sport science perspective but completely out of depth as a man manager. A Jason Taylor type.

As i see it. Seibs can't be judged as doing a poor job for a number of years and thats 5 years folks.

You may say thats unacceptable but i call bullshit. We have not been a force since Bennett left the first time. We have been there abouts for going on 13 years. We have won a zilch people since 2006 with Wayne and without.

Its obvious the board is realistic. They want a premiership just as much as the fans but obviously felt Wayne was not moving in that direction after 4 years.

Other clubs of comparison are St george and Canberra. Both have coaches who took over teams that had a similar player make up as us. Young promising players and some over the hill types. You could probably put a bunch of sides in that mix but i chose the two who have coaches that took over in the same year 2014 and have essentially taken a similar journey of ups and downs. Both sides after 4 years are starting to look promising.

My point is Seibs first year will be a set up year and that may mean we finish out of the 8. Our 2nd year could be a huge improvement and our actual premiership window will be his 3rd to 4th year but that also depends on the player retention and recruitment. Will we get to keep who we want and can we recruit what we need.

I really foresee us in a Raiders type situation to be honest. We are a unbalanced team at the moment. We lack the backbone of a real leader and we are quick to put our head down. So its an attitude issue.

Wayne can get the best out of so many because he is fully prepared to overlook a Jett not chase in defence because he can win you a game in a second. Most coaches can not accept such short comings. Wayne will allow your flaws as long as he sees your best and thats why a team so unbalanced can make the finals. Because he makes the game plan simple and trusts that individuals will bring their best.

Seibs wants the team to be their best. In structure, in defence, in every measurable statistic. He is of the new fold and as such some of our players will just not have the attitude for it. They want to hear old Waynes banter and light nudging. So our team at this point is not looking so good. They are learning a structure. While they may be hearing about their shortcomings more often then they would of heard under Wayne. This can cause discontent in the less strong minded player.

I think in the long term we may see a few more players leave. But with one door closing another will open. Siebs will look to keep players with the mentality that fits his style and will do so in recruitment. Look forward to our future gentlemen this may be the trial and tribulations we have needed for the last decade.

It’s really starting to piss me off with the fact that he doesn’t seem to give two ***** about losing every week. Just the usual bullshit of we are learning and they are kids. Guess what, they won 15 games last year with practically the same squad. They thought they were moving forward with getting rid of Bennett but all they have done is accepted mediocre play from a team and a coach not being held accountable. The knives would have been out if this was Bennett last year. This club was built on consistency and not accepting mediocre results week in week out. Making the 8 is a minimum at this club. A FUCKING MINIMUM
And Paul White is to be held just accountable with his board room decisions
Heads need to start rolling within this club and it needs to be made clear that these fucking shit results are not tolerated at the broncos period

The thing is, this squad scraped into the 8 last season and people will deem the season to be a success because thats the so called minimum for this club. What it doesn’t show is that the attitude has been terrible for a long time and was trending downwards. For me it all finally self destructed when the dragons flogged us in the finals last year. The squad hasn’t changed much at all and those mental scars are now on full show. If Bennett was here it’d be the same results. Some of these players are cooked and seibold really walked into a shit show at the worst possible time.

Bennett would have this team top 6. We aren't a poor side. We are playing poorly

I agree that we probably would have won a few more games under Wayne by this point. We'd likely be at least 4-8, but that's not because he's a better coach (whatever, you can argue that one without me) but because the players all knew what he expected (and he would have kept Kahu/Maguire/Niko) and he would have had them playing the same stuff we played last year. They may have finished sixth last season, but some of our wins were lucky and most of our losses were shit, and that was with 'Wayne Supercoach Bennett' in charge.

Seibs is shaking things up and making changes, so now we've lost some experience and the boys are adapting to a new structure and different combinations. Do I wish we had more wins? Of-course, but if the end result of this season is that we've gotten rid of all of the dead wood and we've blooded a good little half who can help Milford and we've given some of our other young guys more experience, then I'll cop it on the chin.

That said, I do hope we improve enough over the season to get out of spoon contention. That's a prize I never want the team to win.

Did Siebold say in the press conference that that was their best defensive effort so far? If he did he must have some good weed.

Maybe hes just not that good of a coach and last year was more the players than him?

I dunno I haven't written him off yet, but theres no guarantee that we'll magically improve and everything will be fine. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Last year it was Souths finished above the Broncos so Siebold's a better coach. This year it's we're 1 and 7 while Souths is 7 and 1 so Siebold's a better coach.

Positives:

Negatives:

Absolutely We do have too many rookies playing. The dangerous method now of blooding all of these young guys in 1 season and pinning our hopes long term in the likes of hass, flegler, carrigan, fifita and to a lesser extent su'a, lodge, pangai and bullemoor is other sides will cherry pick the ones they really want and pull the squad apart. And also the risk of playing these guys too early and having them not kick on for future years is also something that should be front of mind. Looking at su'a now he has gone backwards and hasn't kicked from his first season when he came in. Not to say he can't change this but he is a long way off right now.
Remember the golden group of Myers, Carlaw, Harrison, costigan etc. All had enormous wraps and were decent for a while but fizzled to some extent)

Looking at these kids all are very same same too. Crash and bash style with very limited if any ball play in them (fifita looks the most likely). These kids need developing big time and time in cup however our strategy and panic from the recruitment team has us now in this position.
If you look at the good forward packs you see a real mix of age so you get a spread of experience and youth in key areas, but you also see different style players which is very important. Something we lack in our pack and more importantly the good packs have a real hard edged leader. Something we are a million miles away from now that moose has gone. Example - Burgess, finucane, waerea hargraves - frizzell are some to name just a few that opposition sides look at every week to see if they are playing

Last edited:

Active Now

• kman
  • Justwin
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • leon.bott
  • Financeguy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Manifesto
  • broncsgoat
  • bazza
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • cento
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 35 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.