NEWS Seibold wants 'explosive' Pangai to rock Storm

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by Super Freak, Mar 13, 2019.

pangait-180524701.jpg

Seibold wants 'explosive' Pangai to rock Storm

March 13, 2019

Tevita Pangai jnr won't play big minutes in the NRL season opener against Melbourne on Thursday night but Anthony Seibold wants the Broncos powerhouse to make a massive impact.

The 23-year-old forward, who has recovered from a hamstring injury which limited his trial time to just 20 minutes of action against Wynnum-Manly, is the most experienced campaigner among Brisbane's interchange quartet alongside Kotoni Staggs, David Fifita and debutant Thomas Flegler.

The Tongan international trained strongly this week and Seibold, who said the "effort areas" of the game would decide the result, is seeking improvement in that area as well from Pangai.

"Looking at what he did last year he was a really explosive player and we want him to bring energy and enthusiasm off the bench," Seibold said.

"Outside of that, he doesn’t have to try and win us the game or put on big shots. We just expect him to do his job. One of the things the middles have to do really well is the effort areas of the game, and the expectation is he will do that really well for us but we want him to bring some impact off the bench as well."

Pangai has battled soft tissue injuries and a lack of consistency in his short career but Seibold said he had made strides forward in his work ethic in recent months.

"We would have liked him to have played more minutes [in the trials] but he has had a really good week’s prep. It is about making sure the minutes he plays count," Seibold said.

"Tevita has an enormous amount of potential and ultimately will get what he deserves. If he continues to work hard and work on his consistency then that will transfer to his game. I am really enjoying coaching Tevita.

"He’s a good young man and is working really hard to try and improve on the field and off the field as well."

While Test and Maroons forward Matt Gillett will play lock, Seibold said he would have a similar role to what he did as an edge back-rower while also supporting the side's young middle forwards.

"If you watch us train, he is still running lead lines and running into space," Seibold said.

"I think he is an ideal 13 for us at the moment and adds a great deal of experience to our middles. We have a younger group that is still developing and learning, and taking baby steps in some ways, so having Gillo as a bit of a rock for that group is really important for us.

"He is a really good defender individually and adds a whole heap of work rate to our group. I coach to effort areas.

"They are the non-talent required areas of our game where he is outstanding."

Seibold said the enthusiasm and aggression 19-year-old prop Flegler displayed in three trials had earned him a debut and backed five-eighth Anthony Milford to take on the responsibility of being a key playmaker after recovering from a hamstring injury.

Source: NRL.com

Tags:
  1. I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon State of Origin Rep

Run him straight at their young half and rattle his cage

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Marty Deutschmann and LGH like this.
  2. Allo

Allo NRL Player

So long as his hammies don’t explode.

‘He doesn’t have to try and win us the game.’

This is what Tevita needs to remember. He just has to do what he does and that comes. He doesn’t have to go overboard. I think he’s guilty of over-trying. Hopefully the team takes the onus off him in him feeling like he has to

3. Jedhead

Jedhead QCup Player

I think if it's a good bit cooler in Melbourne tomorrow night our boys will have an unexpected bonus as they have been training relentlessly in Queensland's sauna like weather. I'm sure this will transfer into us making the Strom 'feel the heat'.

4. Mitch06

Mitch06 NRL Player

He had to make up for Korbin and Thaiday's below par performances most weeks.

5. Allo

Allo NRL Player

Fair point

It’s not something I want to discourage necessarily either, because sometimes you need someone to drag the team with them. But yeah he just needs to keep his head. Minor minor issue of course

6. Wolfie

Wolfie State of Origin Rep

Hope he loses the grub from his game. I thought he was a bit embarrassing at times with his carry on.

7. Yep, channel that energy into his carries and hits and then move on when play breaks down etc, and get ready for the next set rather than carrying on.

Will be far more imposing when he can channel that aggression, power etc purely into football rather than all the other rubbish.

Wolfie likes this.
  8. Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann NRL Player

That's actually a disadvantage to us..

9. Alec

Alec International Rep

I liked it when he stood up to some of the Storm big names when we played them early last year, but he just started to take it too far as the season went on. Imagine if his sin bin actually ended up costing us the game against the Roosters.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. Jedhead

Jedhead QCup Player

Nah, I see it that the drop in temp means we don't sweat as much which allows us to recover quicker. Whereas there is no change for the Storm.

11. JAHHW

JAHHW QCup Player

Flicking Slater off like an annoying mozzie was one of the highlights of the year!

Locky's Left Boot likes this.