NEWS Seibold: why I sacked Darius

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
From AAP wire service:

Says Seibold:

“Darius did a terrific job as captain over the last 12 months in challenging times. He has got great strategies in place around coping with the highs and lows of professional sport and he wants what is best for the club and has always been a team person. But one thing I saw throughout the year was that for whatever reason there was a lot of external noise and pressure around Darius. Darius is a legend of our club and a legend of our game ... and I just wanted to take some of those commitments away. He doesn’t need to do all the external things that a club captain has to do.”

“That is why I made the decision. He has known since last September that he wouldn’t be the captain this year, and the thing I admire about Darius is that it hasn’t altered his attitude or actions in any way, shape or form. He remains an integral part of our leadership group. He is very supportive of Alex and all the other young leaders that we are trying to grow.”

McHunt

I reckon this actually sounds like a pretty legit summation of the events.

The reasoning is sound and also helps the club to transition into the new decade under leadership that will not be detrimental in the media.
Also provides that safety net for form of Darius and basically says to the young guys in the group that they have 2 years to prove why they should take over from Lexy.

Bring on 2020.

Seibold is a very, very good communicator and knows how to handle the press. His statement doesn't throw Boyd under the bus,, and answers enough of the questions around Boyd to keep things quiet. My respect for Seibold as a person is growing. Let's hope he can match his diplomacy with coaching ability.

The other thing it means is that Boyd can now be dropped (if his lack of form or mistakes warrant that) without the the political fallout of dropping your captain. I think Seibold is shrewd and is managing this transition pretty well. Whether that leads to improved results on the field this season will be interesting to watch. I think we are moving in the right direction though.

The other thing it means is that Boyd can now be dropped (if his lack of form or mistakes warrant that) without the the political fallout of dropping your captain. I think Seibold is shrewd and is managing this transition pretty well. Whether that leads to improved results on the field this season will be interesting to watch. I think we are moving in the right direction though.
Any direction that involves an easy transition to the QLD Cup for any formerly rusted-on player who's not earning his place has to be the right one.

Last edited:
“Darius did a terrific job as captain over the last 12 months
PhAavNX.gif

In certain aspects he did. It’s not just on-field performances that are part of the captains job. However, probably the most important part he failed at.

I don’t know why people take much notice of these comments, though. He’s not going to come out and say he was a shit ****. If Seibold really felt that way then I doubt Alex Glenn would currently be captain.

Seibold is a very, very good communicator and knows how to handle the press. His statement doesn't throw Boyd under the bus,, and answers enough of the questions around Boyd to keep things quiet. My respect for Seibold as a person is growing. Let's hope he can match his diplomacy with coaching ability.

Same here, Seibold gets my vote of approval for 2020 with this decision.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.