-NEWS- Selwyn Cobbo rejected 5 clubs to stay loyal to Brisbane

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
As we know, Cobbo signed an extension until the end of 2023. The Courier Mail reporting that he had 5 rival NRL clubs chasing him, including the Dragons who rated him the best backline talent they had seen in Queensland in 10 years.

I wanted to share some quotes with you guys. He seems like a really humble, level headed kid.

Why he chose to stay with the Broncos:

“I stayed at the Broncos because they were my team growing up,” said Cobbo, who will debut on the right wing against the Red V.

“Growing up, I had a goal to play in the NRL, especially for the Broncos, and now I want to try and get the club back up and running again.”

on GI and Latrell comparisons:

“I’m grateful and honoured to be compared to a superstar like Latrell,” Cobbo said.

“He is a great player and a role model to Indigenous kids and Indigenous communities but I don’t think there will be another player like him, so I am trying to just make a name for myself.

“My idol growing up was Greg Inglis because he was one of the greatest to ever play the sport and was also an Indigenous leader to look up to.

“My dad is also my hero. He pushed me to my limits, he keeps me disciplined and he’s stuck by my side through the good and bad times.”

on his debut against the Dragons:

"It’s my first year playing for Wynnum Manly and it’s a challenge even at that level,” he said.

“I think I’m handling it well so far and I‘m getting more confident as I go, so I think I will be ready for first grade.”

Walters on Cobbo:

“Selwyn has been pushing hard in the Intrust Super Cup and he‘s got an opportunity with Xavier being in Origin, it’s the right time to give him a go,” he said.

“He has good speed and good game sense. I don’t want to put too much pressure on him, I just want him to get his carries up, defend well and do his job.”

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
Yep his character has been one of his wraps coming through. He doesn’t kick up a fuss, seems really humble and from what I understand, doesn’t care about the grubby side of things managers usually throw in to negotiations. And most importantly as you read in that interview, he has never wanted to play anywhere else.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Yep his character has been one of his wraps coming through. He doesn’t kick up a fuss, seems really humble and from what I understand, doesn’t care about the grubby side of things managers usually throw in to negotiations. And most importantly as you read in that interview, he has never wanted to play anywhere else.
Giving me Coates ptsd

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Yeah, after the Coates "crying" video when he made his debut, I just can't get excited about words like these anymore, things always change too easily. Maybe the last two years have made me pessimistic when it comes to the NRL, but lets see what things are like in 3 years.

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads
Some trivia: he was the first indigenous school captain at Murgon State High, the nearest high school to Cherbourg. Alma mater of Steve Renouf.

Screen1125f200f2b0abd29656102fb0f7ab9f.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 10-08-42 newsletter-19-03-2021 pdf.png

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
Yeah, after the Coates "crying" video when he made his debut, I just can't get excited about words like these anymore, things always change too easily. Maybe the last two years have made me pessimistic when it comes to the NRL, but lets see what things are like in 3 years.

The difference is Cobbs signed on, Coates didn't.

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
Coates signed his first contract here too?

I don't think he re-signed just before / after his debut did he? Cobbo was willing to sign on despite not yet debuting although being in the frame.

I mean look, he could go the way Coates did but the fact of the matter is, he backed up words with action, Coates didn't at this point in time.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2016
Threads
I don't think he re-signed just before / after his debut did he? Cobbo was willing to sign on despite not yet debuting although being in the frame.

I mean look, he could go the way Coates did but the fact of the matter is, he backed up words with action, Coates didn't at this point in time.
Looks like it's almost exactly the same timeline

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
Oct 28, 2013
Threads
It really is amazing just how over rated Latrell Mitchell is.

In my mind...he's done **** all to be posted as a League great.
Two premierships origin etc.

was the best centre in the game and has transitioned to fb where he’s probably in the top half dozen players there.
And he’s like 24

pretty handy resume so far.

A grade fuckwit tho

BroncosFever

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
Coates will probably kick on next year but for us, he hasn't really eventuated into the player everyone hoped he would.

Early on in his first few games he scored a big leaping try against Manly I think it was, from then on I just expected (like most other Brisbane fans) that he would have a whole collection of tries like that, he's jumped above them to score a few times but it's hardly something that he pulls off every 2nd or 3rd game.

I do think he will be a hell of a player in time once he grows into his body but he cannot be compared to likes of GI as he was in his early days, he doesn't have a fend or any of that. He runs fast and jumps high, he still has to improve a lot defensively and obviously needs to become a bigger body bringing the ball out of trouble, which I believe he will do.

Team P W L PD Pts
15 13 2 344 26
15 13 2 311 26
14 11 3 105 24
14 11 3 176 22
14 9 5 122 20
13 7 6 33 16
15 7 8 -11 14
14 6 8 -44 14
14 6 8 -121 14
14 5 9 -66 12
14 5 9 -70 12
15 6 9 -131 12
14 5 9 -62 10
15 5 10 -132 10
13 2 11 -204 6
15 3 12 -250 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awal7607

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.