OLD THREAD!! Selwyn Cobbo rejected 5 clubs to stay loyal to Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know... Hodgo was more like getting under your skin and just picking at players until they wanted to bash his head in ... except Ben Creagh

Latrell just takes those cheap shots every single opportunity that they're on... player lying prone, I'll drop my shoulder then get up with a smug smile on my face, because I'm the shit or that's what they've been telling me since I was 12 anyway
I do remember Hodgo dropping a shoulder on a one legged prone Morris brother.

was glorious

Coates will probably kick on next year but for us, he hasn't really eventuated into the player everyone hoped he would.

Early on in his first few games he scored a big leaping try against Manly I think it was, from then on I just expected (like most other Brisbane fans) that he would have a whole collection of tries like that, he's jumped above them to score a few times but it's hardly something that he pulls off every 2nd or 3rd game.

I do think he will be a hell of a player in time once he grows into his body but he cannot be compared to likes of GI as he was in his early days, he doesn't have a fend or any of that. He runs fast and jumps high, he still has to improve a lot defensively and obviously needs to become a bigger body bringing the ball out of trouble, which I believe he will do.
Which is why he sighed with Melbourne. Broncos stunned his growth. Don't blame him

And rightly so. We are a one club team and even half this forum seem to think we are the greatest club ever. If we can't land recruitment targets, maybe the microscope SHOULD be on the administration

Which is why he sighed with Melbourne. Broncos stunned his growth. Don't blame him
Dislike

Coates will probably kick on next year but for us, he hasn't really eventuated into the player everyone hoped he would.

Early on in his first few games he scored a big leaping try against Manly I think it was, from then on I just expected (like most other Brisbane fans) that he would have a whole collection of tries like that, he's jumped above them to score a few times but it's hardly something that he pulls off every 2nd or 3rd game.

I do think he will be a hell of a player in time once he grows into his body but he cannot be compared to likes of GI as he was in his early days, he doesn't have a fend or any of that. He runs fast and jumps high, he still has to improve a lot defensively and obviously needs to become a bigger body bringing the ball out of trouble, which I believe he will do.

Selwyn impressed me more in his 1st game last night than Coates has in a couple of years .
He goes through the defensive line pops out the other side on his belly. Xavier gets caught in an up right position and gets forced back wards . Doesn`t understand how to use his size .

That one handed scoop off the ground was all class .

Selwyn impressed me more in his 1st game last night than Coates has in a couple of years .
He goes through the defensive line pops out the other side on his belly. Xavier gets caught in an up right position and gets forced back wards . Doesn`t understand how to use his size .

This year is tough as a fan but there are a lot of green shoots to be excited about in Cobbo, 'Guardian', The X-men, The Cyclone, Piakura, Paix, Hetherington (maybe), Staggs, re-signing, Riki, Bull and others coming through and signed on.

When Cobbo caught that ball up high on his first touch and was awfully close to breaking away for a try I though almost right away this kid probably takes away the point of using Coates, he is big and tall just like him but runs harder, only issue I would have is he is our potential fullback and it might be better for his development to stay in ISC and play Fullback then be in 1st grade on the wing for now, but bring him in for the odd games and such till the end of the year.

Very solid debut and is easily 1st grade standard on the wing atleast.

@Big Pete any reason why Cobbo has been playing right wing to date (think he was right wing in Rd 1 for Wynnum and right wing last night)??

He has that left arm carry which would have him suited on the left I wouldve thought.

Last night was likely circumstance given he was replacing Coates, but it's not like Mead is unfamiliar on the right (he played all his titans games there) or settled in on the left.

Was the left winger at Wynnum given priority given Cobbo was likely moving into fullback??

Just wondering because we have a gap on the left wing at present (Oates in reserve grade, etc.) and Cobbo could lock down that left wing spot in the future (not yet though, I want him in ISC all this year, but possibly he starts the transition next year).

You blame Coates for his style but isn't that the role of a so called coach to help and improve a player???

@Big Pete any reason why Cobbo has been playing right wing to date (think he was right wing in Rd 1 for Wynnum and right wing last night)??

He has that left arm carry which would have him suited on the left I wouldve thought.

Last night was likely circumstance given he was replacing Coates, but it's not like Mead is unfamiliar on the right (he played all his titans games there) or settled in on the left.

Was the left winger at Wynnum given priority given Cobbo was likely moving into fullback??

Just wondering because we have a gap on the left wing at present (Oates in reserve grade, etc.) and Cobbo could lock down that left wing spot in the future (not yet though, I want him in ISC all this year, but possibly he starts the transition next year).

Dane Gagai ?
Plays on the left holds the ball in his right arm ?? He is a left foot kicker . That has always baffled me .

You blame Coates for his style but isn't that the role of a so called coach to help and improve a player???

It doesn`t take a master coach to see that weakness .
If Xavier watched a replay he could work it out for himself ?? Or maybe even learn on the job , Hmmm I am 100 KG and run like the wind . Why do I keep getting driven backwards when returning the ball ? My 85 KG team mate Meady can get to his belly most of the time ? I wonder why ??? LOL .

He also needs to spend some time with the Lions learning to keep hold of the ball when you jump in the air . Gets his hands on the ball regularly . Looses possession just as regularly .

I watched Greg Inglis come through Q cup . He broke tackles with his fend . Xavier is not the next Greg Inglis .

I don't think he has a preference at this stage and since the Seagulls backline was largely established they just found a spot for him. It is worth noting that in a lot of games where he was named wing, he was actually playing fullback.

I don't think we'll see a ton of Cobbo at NRL unless injuries are especially unkind in the back half for the Broncos. I can see him playing a handful of games with 2022 being the year where he's constantly around the NRL team.

I don't think he has a preference at this stage and since the Seagulls backline was largely established they just found a spot for him. It is worth noting that in a lot of games where he was named wing, he was actually playing fullback.

I don't think we'll see a ton of Cobbo at NRL unless injuries are especially unkind in the back half for the Broncos. I can see him playing a handful of games with 2022 being the year where he's constantly around the NRL team.

This is what I hope happens as well. Keep him away from the first grade team as much as possible and then bring him in around the positivity of '22. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Piakura, Cobbo and even Paix shielded a bit this season so they don't have to get caught up in the cancerous first grade side, especially if things go bad downhill in the second half of the season which is a real chance of happening.

This year is tough as a fan but there are a lot of green shoots to be excited about in Cobbo, 'Guardian', The X-men, The Cyclone, Piakura, Paix, Hetherington (maybe), Staggs, re-signing, Riki, Bull and others coming through and signed on.

I just hope this horizontal list thingy is just a passing phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.