OLD THREAD!! Selwyn Cobbo rejected 5 clubs to stay loyal to Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
As we know, Cobbo signed an extension until the end of 2023. The Courier Mail reporting that he had 5 rival NRL clubs chasing him, including the Dragons who rated him the best backline talent they had seen in Queensland in 10 years.

I wanted to share some quotes with you guys. He seems like a really humble, level headed kid.

Why he chose to stay with the Broncos:

“I stayed at the Broncos because they were my team growing up,” said Cobbo, who will debut on the right wing against the Red V.

“Growing up, I had a goal to play in the NRL, especially for the Broncos, and now I want to try and get the club back up and running again.”

on GI and Latrell comparisons:

“I’m grateful and honoured to be compared to a superstar like Latrell,” Cobbo said.

“He is a great player and a role model to Indigenous kids and Indigenous communities but I don’t think there will be another player like him, so I am trying to just make a name for myself.

“My idol growing up was Greg Inglis because he was one of the greatest to ever play the sport and was also an Indigenous leader to look up to.

“My dad is also my hero. He pushed me to my limits, he keeps me disciplined and he’s stuck by my side through the good and bad times.”

on his debut against the Dragons:

"It’s my first year playing for Wynnum Manly and it’s a challenge even at that level,” he said.

“I think I’m handling it well so far and I‘m getting more confident as I go, so I think I will be ready for first grade.”

Walters on Cobbo:

“Selwyn has been pushing hard in the Intrust Super Cup and he‘s got an opportunity with Xavier being in Origin, it’s the right time to give him a go,” he said.

“He has good speed and good game sense. I don’t want to put too much pressure on him, I just want him to get his carries up, defend well and do his job.”

Yep his character has been one of his wraps coming through. He doesn’t kick up a fuss, seems really humble and from what I understand, doesn’t care about the grubby side of things managers usually throw in to negotiations. And most importantly as you read in that interview, he has never wanted to play anywhere else.

Yep his character has been one of his wraps coming through. He doesn’t kick up a fuss, seems really humble and from what I understand, doesn’t care about the grubby side of things managers usually throw in to negotiations. And most importantly as you read in that interview, he has never wanted to play anywhere else.
Giving me Coates ptsd

How much did we pay for him?

Yeah, after the Coates "crying" video when he made his debut, I just can't get excited about words like these anymore, things always change too easily. Maybe the last two years have made me pessimistic when it comes to the NRL, but lets see what things are like in 3 years.

Some trivia: he was the first indigenous school captain at Murgon State High, the nearest high school to Cherbourg. Alma mater of Steve Renouf.

Screen1125f200f2b0abd29656102fb0f7ab9f

Screenshot 2021 06 03 at 10 08 42 newsletter 19 03 2021 pdf

Yeah, after the Coates "crying" video when he made his debut, I just can't get excited about words like these anymore, things always change too easily. Maybe the last two years have made me pessimistic when it comes to the NRL, but lets see what things are like in 3 years.

The difference is Cobbs signed on, Coates didn't.

The difference is Cobbs signed on, Coates didn't.
Maybe we know what we are doing and Cobbo turns out to be better than Coates. I certainly hope so. I also hope we have someone coming through who is better than Walsh.

Coates signed his first contract here too?

I don't think he re-signed just before / after his debut did he? Cobbo was willing to sign on despite not yet debuting although being in the frame.

I mean look, he could go the way Coates did but the fact of the matter is, he backed up words with action, Coates didn't at this point in time.

The best thing here is that he fended off other clubs to stay with us, imagine if we lost him too.

It really is amazing just how over rated Latrell Mitchell is.

In my mind...he's done **** all to be posted as a League great.

I don't think he re-signed just before / after his debut did he? Cobbo was willing to sign on despite not yet debuting although being in the frame.

I mean look, he could go the way Coates did but the fact of the matter is, he backed up words with action, Coates didn't at this point in time.
Looks like it's almost exactly the same timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • big k
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Matheos
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.