September 11

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
I almost didn't realise it was September 11 today, until I went to write the date down for something at work.

Wow, 17 years ago now the World Trade Centre came down (along with the other plane hijackings) - it's still just completely surreal thinking about it in my opinion.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when it all went down?

Do you think the world has changed as a result?

I remember waking up on September 12, and Cheez TV wasn't on. In fact, no cartoons were on. I was 11 at the time, and I'm not sure I fully comprehended the enormity of what happened.

Every few years I'll go on a YouTube binge and watch a few 9/11 videos, and just the idea of flying a plane into a skyscraper... ugh, it's still difficult to get it through my head. Yet, they did it twice. Madness.

Old Mate

NRL Player
I almost didn't realise it was September 11 today, until I went to write the date down for something at work.

Wow, 17 years ago now the World Trade Centre came down (along with the other plane hijackings) - it's still just completely surreal thinking about it in my opinion.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when it all went down?

Do you think the world has changed as a result?

I remember waking up on September 12, and Cheez TV wasn't on. In fact, no cartoons were on. I was 11 at the time, and I'm not sure I fully comprehended the enormity of what happened.

Every few years I'll go on a YouTube binge and watch a few 9/11 videos, and just the idea of flying a plane into a skyscraper... ugh, it's still difficult to get it through my head. Yet, they did it twice. Madness.
We’re about the same age. That’s exactly how I remembered it, didn’t quite understand the enormity of it at the time.

I was more filthy cheese tv was off.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
We’re about the same age. That’s exactly how I remembered it, didn’t quite understand the enormity of it at the time.

I was more filthy cheese tv was off.
Funny you say that Old Mate, me too. I most definitely wasn't listening to the news and freaking out on the way to work that my train was going to blow up. No siree, boy was I upset about the uh cartoons. What a day!

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
It was the morning after my first date with my now wife. I was buzzing, but my sister called and was like OMG what’s going on and I was like settle down it was just a date.

Got in to work and my boss had brought in a TV and I was like WTF, this must be big.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
I remember waking up getting ready to go to work at my uncles pawnbroker business at stones corner in Brisbane. I was having a coffee, turned on the TV and couldn't believe what was happening, mum rang me up and was shaken up as one my sisters had gone on a holiday to the US and wasn't sure what else might happen, nothing did thankfully.

Allo

NRL Captain
I was watching Sandra Sully on channel ten news. She was astonishingly hot back in the day. Was my nightly routine...
Sandra Sultry

Blowups galore about Cheez Tv that morning. Until I started surfing the channels and seeing the impacts on a loop. A GIF before GIFs existed

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
All I remember is being pissed off about not getting to watch Yugio and DBZ when they were on in the morning every day before school.

And then getting called terrorist for like 3-4 years as the running joke. Good times... I think.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I was at uni in Bundaberg ...

we were all outside having a few drinks.

we had the TV on inside... came in to grab another beer and had to do a double take when we saw the new on the TV. it actually took a few minutes to register what had happened.

we ended up relocating from the back patio to the lounge.

Jedhead

NRL Player
I remember watching the live feed the BBC were putting out and the chic says that building seven had just fallen yet in the background it was right there fully intact. A few seconds later it cuts to the guy in the studio and he mumbles something about losing the link to the US. I did not know any of the buildings numbers at the time but I will never forget the guys face in the studio, it screamed a massive ' oops we f***ed up big time there". So the few seconds of her and him struck me as very odd.

It was not until the next day that I learned that building seven had so many conspiricy theories attached to it. And then the odd feeling I had became clear. Has always stayed with me that little scene.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Same. I didn't even realise the date until a friend posted something on facebook. They own an American style BBQ restaurant and posted a picture of the date on their page.

Was working the evening shifts at the time, finished at 9:30 - 10 so I generally didn't go to sleep until late. Had turned off the tv and was trying to go to sleep and it just wouldn't happen, so after a while I turned the TV back on.....and it was everywhere. Thought I was watching a movie at first, then the half asleep daze faded away and I realised what was happening. Was watching live as the 2nd plane hit. Watched the Towers collapse in real time. Just fucking horrible. I will never forget the feeling in the air at work the next day. To this day I get chills whenever I see certain bits of footage because I remember the angle it was taken from. Footage of people hurling themselves out of windows, almost at the top, rather than burn. Just.....fucked.

Has it changed the world? Undeniably. What would the world be like if that hadn't happened? Presidents, wars....just the general state of the world.

My Ex's best friend was good at water polo and was in America at the time for that. They were scheduled to do a tour of the Twin Towers on September 11, but it was cancelled because the coach wanted to do some more practice or some shit. Best coach ever. It seems everyone has a story like that where someone in their lives, either directly or through some obscure relationship, was effected on a personal level. One of the more horrible days in History. I don't know one person that has been to the memorial that wasn't moved

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Mum woke me up and told me what had happened "What is the WTC?". I had a look at the TV, and yeah, the world changed forever, and terrorists became something that everyday humans needed to start taking notice of.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
Mum woke me up and told me what had happened "What is the WTC?". I had a look at the TV, and yeah, the world changed forever, and terrorists became something that everyday humans needed to start taking notice of.
Yeah, terrorists existed before and still do, the only thing that has changed is the coverage and the paranoia levels over minorities and those of differing faith/belief systems to your own.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
It's funny, I didn't realise how big it was when first told either. My sister said "terrorist flew a plane in to a building", and TBH it didn't seem a big deal, terrorists be terrorists, right? I didn't know what the World Trade Centre was, either, so the scale of it didn't register until I saw the footage on my boss's TV.

Jedhead Jedhead I can't remember exactly what it was, but I also remember something being a little off at the time, about stuff being reported before it happened, but I think a lot of that was dispelled. Who knows.

Jedhead

NRL Player
It's funny, I didn't realise how big it was when first told either. My sister said "terrorist flew a plane in to a building", and TBH it didn't seem a big deal, terrorists be terrorists, right? I didn't know what the World Trade Centre was, either, so the scale of it didn't register until I saw the footage on my boss's TV.

Jedhead Jedhead I can't remember exactly what it was, but I also remember something being a little off at the time, about stuff being reported before it happened, but I think a lot of that was dispelled. Who knows.
Yeh there was a lot of conspiricy theories going around at the time. But this particular scenario has never been explained. They have attempted obfuscation and plain old BS but there has never been an explanation as to why the building was still standing during her live report that it had fallen.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Yeh there was a lot of conspiricy theories going around at the time. But this particular scenario has never been explained. They have attempted obfuscation and plain old BS but there has never been an explanation as to why the building was still standing during her live report that it had fallen.
Were they in a studio (therefore the background could have been greenscreened) or were they on location, literally with the towers behind them?

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I was awoken by a sibling at about 6am with apologies but something amazing was happening and to turn on the tv. To this day I still can't think of more full-on images.

The conspiracy theories interested me greatly too, however it didn't take long to realise they were all a load of crap.

Firefighters at ground zero had been reporting all day that #7 was coming down, it was inevitable, it had been burning out of control. It had, afterall just had 2 of the world's tallest buildings collapse on top of it. It's not hard to imagine that on such a full-on day with so many unconfirmed reports flying around that some Chinese whispers between the firefighters and the media occurred.

For a building 7 conspiracy to be feasible it would have required the co-operation from all ranks of the FDNY.....An organisation that lost hundreds of people that day.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
I work for Qantas at Brisbane Airport.

On the morning i had just arrived at work on early mornjng shift at the International Terminal and saw all the guys crowded around the tv, watching the drama unfold live as it happened.

Working around larger type aircraft for a long time makes it seem even more unimaginable of what it must have been like to be anywhere near those towers when the planes hit. The shear force of a large aircraft hitting the building..... totally brutal...let alone the ensuing blaze from the jet fuel.... just horrific.

I have been up to the top of the WTC, years ago, and remember thinking what it would feel like to fall from that top floor.
The poor people that chose to jump rather than die in the fires .... i cannot imagine what they must have been going through to get to the point of total hopelesness.

A truly terrible day in history ....

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
I was at Griffith Uni at Nathan, living on-campus...didn't immediately realise the immensity of the situation. I'd come out to get a late-night snack and there were a couple of people in the common room glued to the TV. I also wasn't aware what the WTC was. But I do remember being glued to the TV myself over the following days, and soaking up everything I could in the years after...those events sparked my interest in politics etc.

I'm going to cop a bit of flack here, but IMO #7 has never been properly explained. A steel-framed highrise had never collapsed before that day. I guess I can accept the towers - I've watched plenty of doco's, I've read all the reports (NIST, the Commission, etc), I'm an engineer so I can grasp the technical details and the design/structural implications - but #7 is definitely different. It wasn't addressed in the initial Commission report. It had its own separate report issued years later, which did not adequately address the situation in any way. I don't know what did happen - not many of the 'conspiracy theories' hold a great deal of water - but I'm a firm believer that there's a *lot* we're not being told about that day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter