September 11

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Yep, one of the few memories I can tie down to 2001.

I'm around the same age as ning and Unbreakable and recall waking up in the middle of the night to the news coverage. Ordinarily everybody is asleep and if my dad happened to be awake he'd do everything to make as little noise as possible. I thought something had to be up, so I poked my head out the door, expecting to find him in the grips of a really enjoyable war documentary.

When I saw it was the Channel 10 news coverage and the candid footage of the WTC I felt the enormity of the situation right away. Usually news didn't faze me back then, I'd let the adults worry about that nonsense, but I just couldn't believe somebody would do something so repulsive.

Movies had taught me that terrorists were relatively harmless. In fact, I watched Bruce Willis take care of them all in a matter of hours.

September 11 seemed to be the longest day in existence. The news coverage dragged on and you couldn't go anywhere without being confronted by it. The worst part was the speculation. Were we going to war? How big was this war going to be? Is Australia safe? Will it be safe to travel? It took an age to all die down.

I do remember the angst surrounding Cheez TV. If memory serves, it was cancelled for the rest of the week and may have even carried on until next week which is what made it worse. I had cable television, so I was fine, but I felt bad for all the other kids with over-active imaginations who couldn't watch telly without being bombarded with all the news.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Mum woke me up and asked if I'd heard. That day I learned what those building were called.

I always remember one kid at school was laughing, thinking it was great because of the USA and their arrogance. One of the seniors put one on his chin, copped a suspension, but old mate never said anything like that again.

I'm a plane nerd, and I have listened to recordings for years. The craziest one for me is the controllers in the JFK tower who had eyes on United 175 as it was heading towards Manhattan, and seconds later they witness it hit the building.

At that point the world changed forever. I think that was the moment everyone watching realised that the biggest military might was under attack from within their own borders.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Also, from a plane nerd point of view. The closing of US air space is something overlooked quite a bit. Most people don't understand the logistics, and coordination the FAA pulled off that day. We talk about the hero's going in and losing their lives, but getting all those aircraft down, making sure they could land, could park, working out multiple visas, processing people across the world, it was an incredible thing they pulled off.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
I was watching a movie on tv and a message came up on the screen that two planes had crashed in New York. I thought nothing more of it and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning it was crazy. It was on every station and the images are ones I will never forget.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I was on a plane yesterday, it was very much in my mind.
Three years ago on Sep 11 I flew out of New York to LA and I didn't give it a second thought but I did think about it briefly. I mean the actual flying not the horrible events themselves as I'd spent hours the day before at the memorial and it was fresh in my mind. It changed the world and I was uneasy about the future from the moment it happened. Thankfully we weren't plunged into world wide chaos but for the first time I thought it was possible.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I'm a plane nerd, and I have listened to recordings for years. The craziest one for me is the controllers in the JFK tower who had eyes on United 175 as it was heading towards Manhattan, and seconds later they witness it hit the building.
Never heard it. Got a link? My favourite is the skyking, he puts to bed any crazy theories about the pilots who hit the pentagon being too amateur to perform the manoeuvres they did. The guy had never even flown and was doing loop the loops and barrell rolls in a reasonably large plane. He's actually legendary in a sad kind of way imo.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Never heard it. Got a link? My favourite is the skyking, he puts to bed any crazy theories about the pilots who hit the pentagon being too amateur to perform the manoeuvres they did. The guy had never even flown and was doing loop the loops and barrell rolls in a reasonably large plane. He's actually legendary in a sad kind of way imo.

Once a plane is flying, if you know how they work, you can get them to a tower easily. Wings level, nose straight, good speed. It'll fly. I mean, those planes also warn if you're banking too much, if you're too slow, when to put flaps down etc. I have no doubt someone with a 1 hour flight lesson and a few minutes on Flight Sim would be able to do what they did.

I would say that the plane you reference above (Dash 8 Q400) is actually more difficult to fly, and like you said, he did a pretty good job while it was flying. They're pretty basic machines, speed means life. It'll fly. He was also in maintenance, so he could get past the most difficult part for a noob, starting the engines.

Reactions: Tom

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter