Sheffield Shield

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Pucovski scored 243. His second 100 in seven Shield games- first against Queensland last year with 188.

Two big 100's too.

8th youngest to score a Shield 200.

Nice to see in the whole Shield comp, there is ONE player with the ability to make big hundreds.

Nice to see in the whole Shield comp, there is ONE player with the ability to make big hundreds.

it is three days in and in fairness the two best Bulls' bats are not playing.

Round One done.

Bird bowled magnificently at the 'Gabba with 10 wickets. Did everything the Bulls couldn't with swing and movement.
Tremain with nine wickets picked up exactly where he left last season with 51. Should be around the Test team.

Copeland great example like Bird of around the wicket and over the wicket 130k seam bowling. Took his 300th wicket too.

Sayers took 250th. Mennie was great for SA and the ball to get Nevill was sensational. Pope's wrong'un was great too to get his first wicket.

Batting wise- 3 100's, two of them young which is good.

Pucovski- got runs and didn't get knocked out which is a bonus with him after seven concussions.
Doolan at the Gabba and Philippe scored his first 100 too. Two 50 and 100 from first four games.

Lehmann showed plenty of fight too to get SA a draw and 126 ball 33 once they were reduced to 5/41.

My theory is that a lot of bowlers are made to look better by how bad the batting is.

I had a quick look and there are very, very few who even average over 40 now in Shield and of them, two or three are only just starting out in Pucocski and M.Short.

Of the others, they are all low 40s or just under - Lehmann, Patterson, Handscomb, D.Hughes?, C.White, Burns and that’s about it.

Pucovski Out with exhaustion. It’s not concussion again but still worrying how little cricket he can put together.

Pucovski Out with exhaustion. It’s not concussion again but still worrying how little cricket he can put together.

What.

Well, that's one way to rule yourself out of being a test bolter.

Goodness me, that’s the problem with Aussie batting, no sustained stamina, concentration grit or application from any kid other than Smith.

Wow, I know it is VERY early days but man, Pope can bowl. I was watching a bit of him in the Shield, far out he is going to be a superstar.

I’ve been thinking about the first test side a lot and I think it is time to go all in on the future. I’m thinking the first test side should look something like this (with my choices in brackets):

1. Renshaw (Burns)
2. Finch (Renshaw)
3. Khawaja (Handscomb only if Khawaja is injured)
4. Head (Head)
5. M.Marsh (he’s vice captain so he will be there regardless unfortunately) (Lehmann)
6. Labuschagne (Pucovski - he is the ONLY good young talent at present, so get him in there)
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Labuschagne

Sucks that Pope won't get any opportunities outside of the occasional test in Asia when we playing 2 spinners for the next 5+ years because of Lyon.

Sucks that Pope won't get any opportunities outside of the occasional test in Asia when we playing 2 spinners for the next 5+ years because of Lyon.

He is REALLY young still, not the end of the world to have him ready when Lyon calls it a day and nice to have the two options in the meantime when playing in Asia.

Pucovski stood down indefinitely with mental health problems.

Oh well, there goes the one shining light in Australian batting.

What an intriguing day.

Harris 210*- Will Langer forgive him for leaving WA?

MCG was hitting people on the lid and just generally playing like a pitch!

Sangha what a terrific bowling display first two Shield wickets and then third for 3/47. The wrong'un to get Gotch was great bowling. Very deceptive.

Great to see two young spinners from the WC playing SS. Sangha can bat too and was captain last year.

Cooper 178 and SA just destroying the Bulls.

Last edited:
The future of Australian cricket?

1. Renshaw
2. Weatherald
3. Pucovski (not good signs at present though)
4. Short
5. Edwards
6. McDermott
7. Sangha
8. Richardson
9. Green
10. Bell
11. Pope

There are some potential superstars in there and some potential plodders too.

The future of Australian cricket?

1. Renshaw
2. Weatherald
3. Pucovski (not good signs at present though)
4. Short
5. Edwards
6. McDermott
7. Sangha
8. Richardson
9. Green
10. Bell
11. Pope

There are some potential superstars in there and some potential plodders too.

0% chance Short or McDermott see a baggy green. Their FC averages make Mitch Marsh look like Jacques Kallis, not to mention that Short is already 28 years old. I haven't seen enough of Green or Bell to have an opinion on them, and I don't know much about Edwards.

If we're talking about a legitimate potential XI in ~2025 I'd go with -

1. Renshaw (28)
2. Weatherald (29)
3. Pucovski (26)
4. Head (30)
5. Labuschagne (30)
6. Sangha (25)
7. Phillipe (27)
8. Cummins (31)
9. Richardson (28)
10. Stanlake (29)
11. Pope (24)

0% chance Short or McDermott see a baggy green. Their FC averages make Mitch Marsh look like Jacques Kallis, not to mention that Short is already 28 years old. I haven't seen enough of Green or Bell to have an opinion on them, and I don't know much about Edwards.

If we're talking about a legitimate potential XI in ~2025 I'd go with -

1. Renshaw (28)
2. Weatherald (29)
3. Pucovski (26)
4. Head (30)
5. Labuschagne (30)
6. Sangha (25)
7. Phillipe (27)
8. Cummins (31)
9. Richardson (28)
10. Stanlake (29)
11. Pope (24)

I wasn’t including any guys currently in the test side and I don’t rate Labuschagne as a batsman anyway, would love him to prove me wrong though.

You also have the wrong Short, I included Matthew Short, though I don’t really see that much in him either at present. The batting overall looks like it is going to be horrid for a while yet and especially so if Pucovski goes by the wayside which may very well happen.

That said, Pope and Green are the super exciting spin and pace superstars in waiting. If you get a chance to watch Green, do it.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.