Should Accused Players be Suspended?

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
I would just like to say as well that if he plays NRL this year it will be a disgrace. These are serious allegations and even though he is entitled to a presumption of innocence he should still be suspended with pay until the matter is resolved.

Suspending someone because of an accusation is a road the NRL do not want to go down.

Suspending someone because of an accusation is a road the NRL do not want to go down.
Why not? If he's suspended with pay I don't see anything wrong with it. This is a serious accusation. What if it was murder? Do we let them play out a few years while the case is determined in court? It's up to the club/NRL ultimately but given the seriousness of the accusation I can't see how either A) He should play or B) If it's even fair on him to be expected to play given the extreme scrutiny he'll be under in such a public profession.

This is an accusation of violent rape, it's not quite on the same level as a sexual assault allegation of "he touched my thigh" and charges have been laid.

Last edited:
The Bellend saga is going to be quite the headache for the NRL to manage.

If you were the NRL CEO and your first task is to implement a framework for handling alleged offenders, what rules would you put in place?

Should all players, regardless of the seriousness of the accusation be allowed to continue in their role unless/until a charge is proven and found guilty?

Should players be suspended with (or without) pay for certain accusations only? If so where do you draw the line?

If you get charged with something fucked up like rape, and the cops have enough to put you to court, sit down, you're not playing.

**** them. Show them that being a fuckwits with your dick will get you in trouble.

an accusation (without a police charge) ... no

a police charge for a serious offence (i.e. sexual assault, violent crimes, DV etc) ... absolutely they should be sit down until the charge is resolved by the courts.

Last edited:
There is no situation where it would be appropriate for Bellend to play. If St George had any brains they'd have already suspended him (with pay) and issued a statement saying he'll be focussing on his welfare blah blah and he'll be given as much time as needed so he can fully focus on dealing with the serious accusations.

This shouldn't even be a difficult decision to make really. As soon as you're dealing with something as serious as rape, being a decent player should immediately get thrown out the window and he should be stood down until it's resolved. The only issue in the past, like the Brett Stewart saga, was that he was suspended without pay. There was an implication that he was guilty, being suspended with pay, word it as looking after his welfare, I can't see any issues with that.

We all know if he was a fringe first grader or reserve grader, he'd have been suspended the second the story hit the media which was last month.
That is the problem!

Suspension with pay when someone is charged of such a serious offense is the right thing to do, although you can't let that drag forever of course, but you have to exact the same measure with everyone, and this doesn't happen, which is absolute bullshit.

Valid argument

Yep, he nailed it. And it is a valid question, why can't the NRL have the same standards as the rest of society? Why is the NRL so devoid of leadership that this isn't already painfully obvious?

Yep, he nailed it. And it is a valid question, why can't the NRL have the same standards as the rest of society? Why is the NRL so devoid of leadership that this isn't already painfully obvious?

It's a old boys club. Boys will be boys. It'll always be run like fuckwits so long as ex footballer fuckwits have the power over the game that they do.

It's a old boys club. Boys will be boys. It'll always be run like fuckwits so long as ex footballer fuckwits have the power over the game that they do.

I agree, it is amazing that after all this time this has never changed. It makes you wonder if it ever will and what would have to happen to make that change.

While I dont disagree with the sentiment I think its wrong to suspend anyone on an accusation payed leave or not.

Presumption of innocence people.
A suspension Imo could give the impression the NRL think he's guilty.
Most of you do already without seeing one shred of evidence.
How is this fair.

If players could be suspended on accusations alone I would not put it past some of the scummier clubs to employ honeytraps that make false accusations on the eve of finals games.

If you're charged you should be stood down with pay to fight your charges.
If you are convicted of a DV or sexual offence you should be struck off the NRL register never to play again.

Maybe, just maybe, if these guys think their career will be over forever if they're caught, they'll stop the raping and the bashing of women. While they continue to play, and continue to have good careers even when convicted (hello Ferguson) they're not going to stop.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Organix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.