Should Accused Players be Suspended?

Employment laws include provisions for sitting people out of work. The cops do it every second day.

Employment laws include provisions for sitting people out of work. The cops do it every second day.
Not the same thing. They are held at a far higher standard because of the power they have which could be used in the wrong way.

I'm curious to see what the courts think. Can/should a player be stood down on a charge alone? The fact that it's with pay I can't see why the courts would overturn in. If they can backdate a rule though, that'll be interesting.

Would you like UT changing rules retrospectively that affect your potential earnings? I wouldn't.

Last edited:
Not the same thing. They are held at a far higher standard because of the power they have which could be used in the wrong way.

I'm curious to see what the courts think. Can/should a player be stood down on a charge alone? The fact that it's with pay I can't see why the courts would overturn in. If they can backdate a rule though, that'll be interesting.

Would you like UT changing rules retrospectively that affect your potential earnings? I wouldn't.

But it is not just cops. In private business staff will be stood down if they are facing serious charges for the good of them and the company.

Honestly I think De Belin is being a fuckwit, just get over it. You are the one that put yourself in this situation. Whether or not he actually raped her we won't know, but even in his version of events he has done enough to bring the game into disrepute.

I don't buy the argument that being stood down influences what people think. People would have already made up their mind on his guilt one way or the other, no one is changing their mind because he has been stood down with pay on a no fault stand-down.

JDB is being a fuckwit because he believes he is innocent and because of that is fighting for his right to play...

Okay.

Now that St. George Bank are threatening to pull sponsorship I wonder if that changes things for the Dragons?

I know they have come out and said they are not funding De Belin, but surely if they lose their major sponsor over this then they need to sit him down and say just cop it sweet.

But it is not just cops. In private business staff will be stood down if they are facing serious charges for the good of them and the company.

Honestly I think De Belin is being a fuckwit, just get over it. You are the one that put yourself in this situation. Whether or not he actually raped her we won't know, but even in his version of events he has done enough to bring the game into disrepute.

I don't buy the argument that being stood down influences what people think. People would have already made up their mind on his guilt one way or the other, no one is changing their mind because he has been stood down with pay on a no fault stand-down.
Yeah it's probably in their contracts, that's exactly what I'm getting at here. Can they apply it retrospectively? I think it's a fair question and I don't think JDB should be crucified for exploring his legal rights. JDB needs to look after himself, ST Merge need to look after their business interests too. If I was CEO there I'd have stood him down the same morning charges were laid.

I'm not saying JDB is right or wrong but I think he's totally justified in asking the question. The NRL have essentially introduced new rules and applied it retrospectively, in most contracts that won't fly. Clearly they could not ban him under the current rules or they would have already.

WTF? Why would having a consensual (according to his version) threesome with some chick and a mate be enough to bring the game into disrepute? That'll do me!

If he raped the girl, throw the fucking book at him, but at this point as far as I know, we have 2 opposed accounts of the events from the people involved, as well as evidence of rough sex, which judging by the videos going around, seems to be a thing...

WTF? Why would having a consensual (according to his version) threesome with some chick and a mate be enough to bring the game into disrepute? That'll do me!

If he raped the girl, throw the fucking book at him, but at this point as far as I know, we have 2 opposed accounts of the events from the people involved, as well as evidence of rough sex, which judging by the videos going around, seems to be a thing...

Good point nothing wrong with that and it isn’t a bad look for the NRL, I’ll just confirm that with his partner.

Not saying it is a crime or anything past being a shit thing to do but surely the NRL would prefer their players don’t cheat on their partners by fucking some chick with another guy behind their backs. Yes that’s not a crime but it just players into the narrative that footy players are fuckwits.

I’m not suggesting if that is all this is you should be stood down for that but if there is deemed to be enough evidence to satisfy the police and prosecutor then just sit the **** down and use the time to prepare for the fight of your life.

Last edited:
Good point nothing wrong with that and it isn’t a bad look for the NRL, I’ll just confirm that with his partner.

Not saying it is a crime or anything past being a shit thing to do but surely the NRL would prefer their players don’t cheat on their partners by fucking some chick with another guy behind their backs. Yes that’s not a crime but it just players into the narrative that footy players are fuckwits.

I’m not suggesting if that is all this is you should be stood down for that but if there is deemed to be enough evidence to satisfy the police and prosecutor then just sit the **** down and use the time to prepare for the fight of your life.
His wife should be the only person to give him grief if she has a problem with it. Divorce the moron and take him to the cleaners for it, but no, that is not anywhere near bringing the game into disrepute, no matter how she feels about it.

As to the rest, presumption of innocence trumps the NRL's sudden butt hurt because they never acted decisively upon the many fuckwits actually found guilty of all kinds of offenses, and now have the results of their lack of steel vomited on their lap.

Unless your profession requires the highest ethical standards, like doctors, police, govt or justice servants, there is no reason to stand you down until you actually are proven guilty, especially if that isn't specifically written in your contract.

Active Now

• Stix
  • jd87
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • RolledOates
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.