VOTE Should Cronk be considered for immortal status?

Should Cooper Cronk be considered for immortal status?

• Yes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Cronk is about to enter the 9th GF of his career, he won back to backed GF with 2 different teams and could very well get a third in a row today. Part of QLDs and Storms* era of dominance, and he’s earned his way into rugby league folklore after winning a GF with a broken scapula. He also choked Cameron Smith one time.

Is Cronk worthy of being an immortal?

Last edited:
No. Otherwise Maloney should be too, he has made every team he is in better but couldn’t change a game completely on his own.
Cronk is on that level just below where a Glenn Lazarus would be.

Immortals should be the absolute best of the best, guys that are considered among the three best ever in their position.

Cronk is behind (at least) Johns, JT and Alfie and that’s just his and the past generation.

He's close, but I'm going to say no. We'll be watering down the "immortal" status too much if we start putting in guys like Cronk. Don't get me wrong, he's an exceptional player, but I don't think he's particularly close to a top 15 player all time, which is essentially where you're putting him by naming him an immortal.

Edit: Although, when you look at his career statistics, there's probably an argument for him being an immortal - 371 games, 101 tries, 282 try assists

Last edited:
No. Otherwise Maloney should be too, he has made every team he is in better but couldn’t change a game completely on his own.
Cronk is on that level just below where a Glenn Lazarus would be.

Immortals should be the absolute best of the best, guys that are considered among the three best ever in their position.

Cronk is behind (at least) Johns, JT and Alfie and that’s just his and the past generation.
I reckon there's an argument Cronk is better than all of those names though if we look at his actual career. I wouldn't put him ahead of Alfie or Johns personally but JT definitely.

9 grand finals in 15 years. Never lost an Oirgin series except when he missed the decider.
Storm went from the most dominant team of the decade to getting trounced by the Roosters two years in a row as soon as Cronk switched to them.

A couple of years ago I said I don't think the Storm will be a dominant force anymore when Cooper Cronk announced he was leaving because he was always under rated but he was just behind Smith as the most important player in the Storm system and it absolutely showed. In 2016 they were just miles ahead of everyone else, the second he left, they no longer looked unbeatable. They just miss that execution, the clinical 5th set plays and the structure a top tier halfback provides.

I wouldn't class him as an immortal but surely he's better than JT? Why does anyone think JT is better? I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited:
I reckon there's an argument Cronk is better than all of those names though if we look at his actual career. I wouldn't put him ahead of Alfie or Johns personally but JT definitely.

9 grand finals in 15 years. Never lost an Oirgin series except when he missed the decider.
Storm went from the most dominant team of the decade to getting trounced by the Roosters two years in a row as soon as Cronk switched to them.

A couple of years ago I said I don't think the Storm will be a dominant force anymore when Cooper Cronk announced he was leaving because he was always under rated but he was just behind Smith as the most important player in the Storm system and it absolutely showed. In 2016 they were just miles ahead of everyone else, the second he left, they no longer looked unbeatable. They just miss that execution, the clinical 5th set plays and the structure a top tier halfback provides.

I wouldn't class him as an immortal but surely he's better than JT? Why does anyone think JT is better? I'm genuine curious.

Because JT could win games on his own and was never second fiddle in his own side. Cronk was second fiddle to Smith, probably even third behind Slater, at club level and was always behind Lockyer, JT, Smith, Inglis at rep level.

If you don’t want JT as an immortal that’s fine. I’d rather less get in anyway, it cheapens the concept if lots get in.

I wouldn't class him as an immortal but surely he's better than JT? Why does anyone think JT is better? I'm genuine curious.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I would never have considered Cronk in this echelon in the past, but when you look at the numbers he's a got a convincing case. Perhaps the real issue with Cronk is that he's always seemingly had someone else stealing the spotlight - Smith and Slater at Melbourne, and now Tedesco at the Roosters.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's an Immortal.

That might just be my preference, but Cronk is just one of those players whose addition to your side you know for certain will be a net positive. There's no doubts possible, if you can get 30 year old Cooper Cronk to play 7 for your club, you do so. No questions asked. That is my criteria for being an Immortal, a reputation that cannot be denied by anyone whether it be supporter, venomous hater or whatever in between.

Last edited:
Hard no. He’s up there with the always has good players around him immortals though. The bloke has been blessed. He’s good, but he’s not that good.

the immortals concept is a fucking joke anyway. Locky has been eligible for 3 years and still hasn’t been inducted. Fucked

Last edited:
This Immortal concept is dumb. Hall of Fame we can give players who deserve it recognition without getting so precious about it.

That said, Cronk has only ever played in stacked sides. Storm/Roosters/QLD/ Australia. In each of those sides he was replacable with any other top tier 7 playing at the current time.

Atho he Immortal concept has already jumped the shark with Johns induction.

Last edited:
Not for mine. Yes he is the most professional and dedicated players of all time, but he's never had to do it outside of an exceptional team, and he's rarely been the one dragging the team to victory like JT did.

The Roosters were already a very good team before both Tedesco and Cronk came there.

This Immortal concept is dumb. Hall of Fame we can give players who deserve it recognition without getting so precious about it.

That said, Cronk has only ever played in stacked sides. Storm/Roosters/QLD/ Australia. In each of those sides he was replacable with any other top tier 7 playing at the current time.

Atho he Immortal concept has already jumped the shark with Johns induction.
Could say the same for Smith? He's only ever played in salary cap cheating hugely stacked origin teams and a not even fair Australian team. He lost Cronk 2 years ago and hasn't done shit since.

Hard no. He’s up there with the always has good players around him immortals though. The bloke has been blessed. He’s good, but he’s not that good.

the immortals concept is a fucking joke anyway. Locky has been eligible for 3 years and still hasn’t been inducted. Fucked

Which Immortal played in rubbish teams?

Which Immortal played in rubbish teams?
Joey played for Newcastle.

I know they were decent back when he played.

Obviously Cronk has been blessed though, he played on the ridiculous storm teams and the current roosters that is probably better than any the storm ever had.

Last edited:
Immortal should be someone that was always great, like Lockyer,Johns, Mal etc. Cronk grew into greatness about halfway into his career. If he was immortal he wouldn't sit on the bench all those years waiting for a start. Solid no.

Kevvie Walters won 6 premierships. Maybe he should be an immortal

Relevance your honour.

Your claim was Cronk shouldn't be immortal because he didn't play in rubbish teams- I asked who did and you claimed Johns- well Newcastle won two premierships.

How was that a rubbish team?

Try and stay on track.

Last edited:
No.

Next run down for mine.

Great player, but not as good as JT/Alfie/Joey.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.