Should the Broncos make a play for Ponga

Taylor would probably be a huge risk even at massive salary cut ($400K or so?). He just doesn't seem like he can mentally handle the NRL.
He can't mentally handle being the million dollar poster boy for the Titans. Being expected to win every game and make everyone around him play better. Fair enough, there is a reason why Thurston/Joey/Cam Smith/Locky are few and far between. Players with that ability are very rare.

However, give him a lesser role, on less $$, behind a pack like ours, partnered with Milf or another running 5/8 and all of a sudden he doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders..........sounds like something the doctor ordered. A controlling half with a fantastic boot, that can just play his normal game in our half of the field and shovel it on to Milf in the Opp half.

I'm not advocating that we buy him, I just think he'd be a much better player in different circumstances.

I am hearing Ash Taylor wants out of the Titans maybe him and Milf could work
For me, its a no to Taylor and a no to Hunt.
Why do we want to keep looking at the past?
Ash had his opportunity, he walked. WB wanted him back last year, or the year before, Ash decided to stay with the Titans.
Hunt also decided to walk.
Now both are not living up to half their current wages, and both sound as if they want to come "home."
I don't want to be seen as a rebound club, nor can I see us drastically improving with either in this side. Taylor hasn't done anything in his time at the Titans to warrant 300k a year.

Stick with Dearden, he has already shown enough to me that we should be continue investing in him.
We also have Paix and SoS in this squad.
It's time to look forward to the future, not look back at the past, IMO.

Taylor would probably be a huge risk even at massive salary cut ($400K or so?). He just doesn't seem like he can mentally handle the NRL.
I just think he needs to get a away from the titans , but he'd have to half his pay to come back.

Wonder if he’ll go to the Roosters. They are not patient with young halves and although they have 80 of them, always have money for more. Of course they will get the GC to pay 90% of his wage and the NRL will just agree it sounds legit.

Sorry Ash........we did the honorable thing by letting him go to titans, he then had the chance to return the favour and come back but took the cash instead.

Its a no deal for me.👎

I'd take Ash back if the Titans pay 75% of his salary. He is damaged goods now, so he cant command top dollar from us unless he is performing, and he isnt.

im not particularly adverse to Taylor returning per say but acknowledge the risks inherit in it also..

One is the make up of the contract; how much are Titans willing to cover his existing contract to get him off the books...plus the mental baggage the kid is obviously carrying....

No guarantee he moving to us would automatically fix that....he is what he is at 25 years old..

SoS & Dearden can be groomed and molded into exactly what we need and want due to their age...Taylor strickes me as a purchase you make when you know your 1 player short of a premiership you know....and that's most certainly NOT us currently...

Taylor could work with someone like Dearden imo

Taylor could work with someone like Dearden imo

I'm not so sure. I think O'Sullivan would probably be the better fit due to his running game.

But for the right price, I would take Taylor back. I don't think he was ever going to be as good as some people made out but I think he could do a good job here.

I'm not so sure. I think O'Sullivan would probably be the better fit due to his running game.

But for the right price, I would take Taylor back. I don't think he was ever going to be as good as some people made out but I think he could do a good job here.
My view on Taylor is he has a solid kicking game, decent running game (when he actually runs) and not much else. Let him play as a running 5/8th and let Dearden organise. Play to their strengths.

Dearden is more a runner of the footy, has most of the skills but likes to take the line on. Taylor used to be a great runner of the footy himself, was very quick back in the day. Dargan out ran sos in their last game.

manly have the right idea,once again if the reports are correct they are looking to re-sign Jake t and Tom t for a combined 2 mill that is good value for the money spent.
Can't say I agree.

Turbo is pretty injury prone, but I could cop him being worth up to a million bucks a season I guess.

Where it gets messy is Jurbo is not even close to worth that. 800k would be a stretch, so in reality that deal means Turbo is costing you more like 1.2 million a season and at that price it's starting too look like a far less value for money proposition.
[automerge]1565666414[/automerge]
while 700k was a risk ... and has worked out well for the Knights ....

1.5 million is another thing entirely ... it doesn't just put him up in elite company ... it puts him up with the best of the best ... quite likely the biggest contract ever offered to a rugby league player in this country
That's the risk you take with any player though, especially an up and coming one. He wasn't worth 700k when they signed him, but 1 year later that looks like a bargain.

There's a fair chance he wont be worth 1.2-1.5 million when his new contract starts in 2021, but by the time it ends in 2023-2024 and he's probably at the peak of his powers and the cap has had another 3-4 seasons of increases to mitigate it then it may well look like an absolute steal.

Last edited:
well...apparently Macca says Turps and Boyd can fire in the half's so.....we're good....

That's the risk you take with any player though, especially an up and coming one. He wasn't worth 700k when they signed him, but 1 year later that looks like a bargain.

There's a fair chance he wont be worth 1.2-1.5 million when his new contract starts in 2021, but by the time it ends in 2023-2024 and he's probably at the peak of his powers and the cap has had another 3-4 seasons of increases to mitigate it then it may well look like an absolute steal.
Maybe. But he's shown so far that if he's proving good value he'll want an upgrade half way through a contract, so what's the risk that in 2023 he'll be asking for $2million+?

Maybe. But he's shown so far that if he's proving good value he'll want an upgrade half way through a contract, so what's the risk that in 2023 he'll be asking for $2million+?
Isn't his dad the greedy one? Always asking for more? By '23 hopefully he's his own man, although maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • lynx000
  • sooticus
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.