Should the NRL Promote Developing Juniors?

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
This is something i've found interesting for a while, particularly since Todd Greenburg has come out questioning whether there is enough talent to introduce another 2 NRL teams to the competition.

Todd Greenburg, and many others are of the belief that the competition would be considerably weaker if two new teams entered due to lack of development of juniors. This is something I agree with. My issue is, the NRL doesn't do anything to promote clubs investing in their juniors.

As far as I'm aware, clubs don't get any incentive in terms of salary cap concessions for developing juniors, or for giving juniors their first grade debuts. There is the 'long service' concession, although that numbers is very small in the grand scheme of things and plays very little impact on player retention, and also applies to a very small percentage of players.

The Broncos develop a lot of junior talent, however with the salary cap we obviously can't retain these players. I think it would be great to see a significant salary cap concession for players who have been signed with a club for X years, with this starting for some players when they are 13 or 14 years old and signed through those development pathways.

All you need to do is look at NRL teams at the moment to see the quality of players that have come through the Brisbane system with players like Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Ash Taylor, Jai Arrow, Dane Gagai and many other players on huge contracts and playing some rep football.

I guess the main purpose of this post is to bring this discussion up. Do you think the NRL should promote development by allowing bigger concessions? Sure the Broncos and Panthers would likely have the biggest gain from this in the short term, but it would then promote other clubs to do the same and spend that money on junior pathways. This would lead to higher quality players, probably increase the number of junior players, and potentially improve the quality of the game, as well as increase the fan supporter base. If this then allowed for more teams to be introduced into the competition, it would also result in an increased salary cap meaning more money for the players and the development of better fascilities as well.

For me, it's a no brainer. I'd be happy with something as simple as every year with a club brings you a 5% loyalty bonus to a maximum of 50%. They could perhaps limit how many players are allowed to have this bonus or something like that, but I really think it would help.

Pretty sure someone posted recently that there is a concession for players who have been on a development contract for 2 years.

Pretty sure someone posted recently that there is a concession for players who have been on a development contract for 2 years.
If there is a concession, it clearly isn't a high enough percentage. I mean really anything less than 20% is unlikely to keep someone at the club. I also think the percentage should increase. E.g. Broncos have someone signed for a few years and are entitled to a 15% concession. Titans come and offer him 20% more for 2 years but then goes back to no salary cap exemption. If he stays at the broncos for 2 years he is then a 25% concession and could earn more. Or something like that.

It's got massive problems.

If all you had to do to get a 25% discount was have a kid signed by 15- just sign 10000 kids and you'll get 17.

Geographically not every area is the same, so can't be based on where you're located. North Queensland have half a state advantage. New Zealand have an even bigger advantage.

If it's just making your debut most clubs would be evenish I would think, even the clubs like the Roosters that get bagged are very good at having Roosters kids in their team-10/17 in the premiership side made their debut at the Roosters and Sio and JWH played seven games each at other clubs.

How many Victorian juniors play for the Storm? It's actually pathetic that they've had the success they've had and still don't produce any Victorian talent, like what's the point of them even being situated in Melbourne when they're effectively a second Brisbane club?

Same deal with the rorters who are just a mercenary team funded by an old bloke with shit loads of cash.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • johnny plath
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Strop
  • Tmac
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • bazza
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • RodF
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.