Should There be a Salary Cap / National Draft?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
The salary cap, like most things in Rugby League, only kinda sorta works.

It's probably what we'll write on the NRL's tombstone in a few years.

RIP NRL 1908 -202? - It kinda sorta worked. For a bit. For a time, it was good. The Animatrix. Second Renaissance. Part 2.

Should we take a second look at a player draft system?

One can't really work without the other. A cap stops clubs going broke and a draft spreads the talent equally.

Surely, it's a no-brainer?

No, a draft would be terrible. Imagine growing up in Brisbane then being forced to go live in some southern shithole just because you're a good player and they came last.

Also gives teams an incentive to finish as low as possible once they know they aren't making the finals ie throwing games.

And also then we really would be developing players just so other teams can have them.

Last edited:

RIP NRL 1908 -202? - It kinda sorta worked. For a bit. For a time, it was good. The Animatrix. Second Renaissance. Part 2.

One can't really work without the other. A cap stops clubs going broke and a draft spreads the talent equally.

No draft... Scrap the salary cap. This myth that we need the salary cap is ridiculous. The game survived 100 years without it and there are 100's of sporting competitions around the world that make it work..

The teams with the most money generally have the most money because they have the most fans. They say that it makes the comp more even, and that's true in a lot of ways, but the same teams are near or at the top every year (storm, roosters, sharks) and they have the least fans! Why not make it the teams that are actually popular (brisbane, souths, warriors, knights, penrith, parramatta) being on top of the ladder every year.

"but clubs would die" LET THEM! If they are that poorly managed or have that little support then why the hell are they even in the nrl?! Let the strong survive and stop pandering to the little Sydney clubs that in any other league in the world would have been scrapped or relegated by now....

No, a draft would be terrible. Imagine growing up in Brisbane then being forced to go live in some southern shithole just because you're a good player and they came last.

Could be worse, mate.

You could've been sent to the far-reaching frontiers of Perth and Adelaide...

...oh wait...

Looking from the outside in to me it's the actual clubs doing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of junior development.

The QRL and NSWRL chip in for grass roots but that next level up appears to be chipped in from the NRL clubs via scholarships and different things like that... if you have a draft setup then I think that stops.

Why would the Broncos develop players just so the NSW scum can come and cherry pick them.

It works in America because the college and even high school athletic systems are so lucrative.

Again I don't have any inside knowledge of how it all works, but given the big thing about junior development, club territories (in Sydney), etc. it makes me think a draft would cut all that and the NRL, QRL & NSWRL would have to start doing almost all of the lifting for junior development.

Sharks get first dig at Val if he comes back given technically he was under contract to them for 2019

Would love to see the Sharks relocated to Brisbane.

The South Queensland Sharks has a nice ring to it.

I read that he was close to signing with the North Queensland Cowboys. Would he settle for a Brisbane team?

Tevita Pangai Junior has only signed for an extra year as well.

Those two blokes could easily help to build a second team in Brisbane.

Yeah a draft would be terrible. Must be why the NRL is one of the only professional sports not to use one. It’s definitely them? not us.

No draft... Scrap the salary cap. This myth that we need the salary cap is ridiculous. The game survived 100 years without it and there are 100's of sporting competitions around the world that make it work..

The teams with the most money generally have the most money because they have the most fans. They say that it makes the comp more even, and that's true in a lot of ways, but the same teams are near or at the top every year (storm, roosters, sharks) and they have the least fans! Why not make it the teams that are actually popular (brisbane, souths, warriors, knights, penrith, parramatta) being on top of the ladder every year.

"but clubs would die" LET THEM! If they are that poorly managed or have that little support then why the hell are they even in the nrl?! Let the strong survive and stop pandering to the little Sydney clubs that in any other league in the world would have been scrapped or relegated by now....
I kind of see your point. Continually giving hand outs and guaranteeing survival breeds mediocrity.
I think getting rid of the salary cap though would be a massive step and I would want to see a really in depth investigation of the consequences before going ahead. I don’t want an eight team competition that’s for sure.

Yeah a draft would be terrible. Must be why the NRL is one of the only professional sports not to use one. It’s definitely them? not us.
And also the largest sport world wide in soccer

It's only America that uses a draft system because their college and high school systems are completely independent of the actual sporting administrations.

AFL just copied it because they like having an affinity to the largest sporting landscape in the land... "look Americans we do a draft as well please please watch our sport"

Last edited:
And also the largest sport world wide in soccer

It's only America that uses a draft system because their college and high school systems are completely independent of the actual sporting administrations.

AFL just copied it because they like having an affinity to the largest sporting landscape in the land... "look Americans we do a draft as well please please watch our sport"

The AFL does a draft just to get Americans to watch their sport? Really? I’m sorry but that is up there with most ridiculous thing I have read on the internet.

I can't see the NRL going back to a draft for a number of reasons ...

1. They already lost a court challenge over the draft from Terry Hill in 1991

2. They would need to take development spending over from the clubs as clubs that spend a large amount of money on development programs will cease to do so if they aren't reaping the benefits of that expense

The AFL does a draft just to get Americans to watch their sport? Really? I’m sorry but that is up there with most ridiculous thing I have read on the internet.
AFL players are far less affected by a draft though. Most of them come from Melbourne or Adelaide, so they most likely get to stay at home and a lucky few move somewhere better.

AFL players are far less affected by a draft though. Most of them come from Melbourne or Adelaide, so they most likely get to stay at home and a lucky few move somewhere better.

How is having to move because you are drafted any different then what is happening now? Lots of players move elsewhere from where the grew up because a club gives them a pathway or opportunity.

How is having to move because you are drafted any different then what is happening now? Lots of players move elsewhere from where the grew up because a club gives them a pathway or opportunity.

Not 100% sure on the ins and outs of the stupid drafting system, but once they're drafted, isn't the choice taken out of their hands?

Because the player doesn't get any choice in it.

Might be worth checking the books on all clubs to see who are profitable now based on a salary cap position. If you blow it up and go hell for leather with no cap I doubt you will have many teams left.
If we go down the e.p.l path of open slather it sinply won't work. We don't have the audience and people and certainly don't have the TV dollars to sustain a no salary cap competition.
Also owners would be reluctant to go nuts and spend as they simply don't get a return on their investment.
There are very few clubs who make any money and rely heavily on the nrl grant and leagues clubs to prop them up.

Pre professional era there was no requirement for salary cap, however now that we are fully professional there is a requirement.
In addition no salary cap would open a new issue of players actually getting paid. There would be clubs out there offering x $$$ and then not even having the cash to pay. Much like the building industry, win a big contract and then no cash to pay their workers at end of contract.
Just my personal view.

Not 100% sure on the ins and outs of the stupid drafting system, but once they're drafted, isn't the choice taken out of their hands?

It is. If you a drafted you go to the team that drafts you. Thing is we are talking about a rookie draft here, as in the guys getting drafted are 17/18/19 so fairly unlikely to have a family that they would be uprooting etc. Once a player is off their rookie contract they are a free agent so can sign with anyone/anywhere.

The other consideration is that teams meet with prospects they are considering drafting. In those talks if a player made it clear that they wouldn't want to relocate to their area it is unlikely they would be drafted by that team.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.