VOTE Should Tier 1 nation internationals be allowed to play Origin?

Should tier 1 internationals who haven't played for Australia be allowed to play Origin?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I'm talking about those actually eligible as is the the junior club rules based on pre 13 years of age.

The obvious example is Tunza(Tonnie Carroll) who played a game for New Zealand but also played for Queensland, should this be allowed under current rules?

This would allow currently Jason Taumalolo(who played for NZ previously but QLD eligible), Victor Radley(England with NSW), and Jackson Hastings(England with NSW) and Kodi Nikorima(NZ with QLD), Jeremy Marshall King(NZ with NSW) Kieran Foran(NZ with NSW) Jared Waerea-Hargreaves(NZ with QLD)
plenty more etc to play for the states in question.

I'm talking about those actually eligible as is the the junior club rules based on pre 13 years of age.

The obvious example is Tunza(Tonnie Carroll) who played a game for New Zealand but also played for Queensland, should this be allowed under current rules?

This would allow currently Jason Taumalolo(who played for NZ previously but QLD eligible), Victor Radley(England with NSW), and Jackson Hastings(England with NSW) and Kodi Nikorima(NZ with QLD), Jeremy Marshall King(NZ with NSW) plenty more etc to play for the states in question.
I think yes... it would allow the international game to grow if origin eligibility is taken off the table.

Making Tonga and Samoa Tier 1 would probably set them back... what does it actually get them?

On the other hand becoming Tier 1 means players suddenly cant play origin... and these could be guys that have played origin for U18's, etc. and are just as passionate about their state footy as they are about national representation

I think yes... it would allow the international game to grow if origin eligibility is taken off the table.

Making Tonga and Samoa Tier 1 would probably set them back... what does it actually get them?

On the other hand becoming Tier 1 means players suddenly cant play origin... and these could be guys that have played origin for U18's, etc. and are just as passionate about their state footy as they are about national representation
I gotta admit I'm not a fan of the current rules how they don't factor in birth place though, like I was born in Brisbane but I moved to NSW when I was 11 and played junior league under current rules in NSW I would only be eligible for NSW if I was ever in that position I would straight up refuse to play for the *****.

Origin has to allow a birthplace rule imo, because that is literally your Origin.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.