Silas Redd - NFL Convert

That's awesome. He played in the NFL, you have to be good to make it. This will be very interesting.

Manfred Moore Mark 2?

NFL is PED badlands, built around steroids and anaerobic short plays.

Far easier for league or union players (and that's not to say it is easy) to go and make it in NFL, than for NFL players to come the other way and build up years of base fitness, while making it through lots of drug testing.

Good to see Walker bros continuing to push envelope, tho.

He may well be 1 to watch he has some amazing footwork. Ipswich is a feeder club for Broncos so highly likely it would be us to sign him.

Sadly I predict hes back in the US by July next year.

Their game is based on short burst power, not repeated efforts and stamina. It would take ages for his body to acclimatize to the rigours of league.

Two substance abuse violations over the last two years ruined his NFL career, he'd wanna have that sorted out before we even think about looking at him.

Maybe he can get some tips from former Newcastle Knights legend Greg Smith. (And yes I know the ex NFL was B/S)

I want to be there when he takes his first tackle without the pads

That's awesome. He played in the NFL, you have to be good to make it. This will be very interesting.

You also have to be very good to play at USC - one of the best college football programs in the US. He obviously is talented.

As others have mentioned endurance is the biggest hurdle he'll have to overcome.

He'll also need to learn defence as he probably hasn't played the other side of the ball since middle school

NFL players are elite athletes though and would make excellent NRL players if they can figure out a way to adapt

NFL players are the genetic freaks of the world with running backs being the most freaky. Whether that makes him a commodity in the NRL remains to be seen. Being a UCLA bruins fan ( I am from LA) I already don't like him because I hate USC which stands for University of spoiled children.

He could develop into a deadly impact player off the bench like fatiano and Nelson Asofa. It says he was a running back, so maybe centre is an option if he can get his fitness up to scratch.

At least half of the NFL players I've seen are overweight and have no necks and can't run for longer than 30 seconds at a time. The other half are fast as **** and can't run longer than 10 seconds at a time because that's how long it takes them to run the hundred.

On that note I think we need to start saying some NFL players are genetic freaks and some NFL players are elite athletes.

At least half of the NFL players I've seen are overweight and have no necks and can't run for longer than 30 seconds at a time. The other half are fast as **** and can't run longer than 10 seconds at a time because that's how long it takes them to run the hundred.

On that note I think we need to start saying some NFL players are genetic freaks and some NFL players are elite athletes.
The ones you're referring to would be the defensive and offensive linemen. These guys are no chance in the NRL.

On the other hand there are running backs (the position hayne played) and wide receivers. These guys are just physical freaks (+100kgs, lighting fast and agile).

I like the call of center from before. Explosive pace and power on top of excellent footwork would have opposing centers shitting themselves. Defence is a concern but could be taught.

I'm surprised nobody has really thought of a transitional academy for NFL/college prospects to convert to Australian sports. The high school and college systems in the US basically has these guys primed as elite athletes from a very early age.

If you could nail down a system you could open the NRL to a whole new pool of players and immediately expose league to the US. American sports shows would be all over a former NFL player becoming a star in a different sport.

It would still be a hell of workload to bring fitnesses up to play 80 minutes coming from NFL, without being busted after 10 minutes. I'm all for it though and feel there are a lot ex college players that are still elite athletes that could make it in league, but only with a lot of hard work. Remember hayne was fighting it out with 4 other running backs, athleticly as gifted as him and some of them didn't make it either. Theres opportunity in the college game where they're amateurs in name at least, given a bit work and offered incentive (what's currently lacking).

3b76d5f2f79580227385eb81d60ed199

Former NFL player Silas Redd signs with Ipswich Jets, with hopes to breaking into NRL
BRISBANE Broncos feeder-club Ipswich Jets have signed a former NFL star who hopes to become the first American football player in 40 years to break into the NRL.

Speaking exclusively to The Sunday Mail, Silas Redd has outlined his dream to conquer rugby league in Australia after purchasing a one-way ticket to play for Broncos affiliate club Ipswich next season.

The 25-year-old was a US college sensation who played 15 NFL games as a running back for the Washington Redskins in 2014.
Ipswich co-coaches Ben and Shane Walker handed Redd a Jets contract a fortnight ago after he scored a try in his first ever game of rugby league in an exhibition match between Ipswich and Tweed Heads in Hawaii.

Redd was a member of the Washington Redskins two years ago when he recalled an NRL star named Jarryd Hayne signing with NFL rivals San Francisco.

Now Redd plans to be an American trailblazer by becoming the first NFL product in four decades to play top-level rugby league.
There will be no NFL-style $1 million-plus deal when Redd arrives in Brisbane just after Christmas to begin training with Ipswich.

The Connecticut-born athletic whiz will earn $400 for a win and $200 for a loss when he turns out for the Jets next season.
“I absolutely want to play in the NRL,” Redd said yesterday, speaking from the US.

“I would love to be a trailblazer for American athletes. I have a total commitment to this. I am treating this seriously. I really hope this whole process works out for me and maybe one day I can convince some other former NFL players to try playing rugby league.

“Going into this journey, I don’t want to embarrass the game of rugby league and I don’t want to embarrass myself.

“The NRL guys are amazing athletes, they are up with the best athletes in the world, so I am totally committed to being the best I can be in the sport.”

Rugby league has a fascinating history with American athletes.

In 1977, NFL star Manfred Moore made his first-grade debut for the Newtown Jets, just 98 days after winning the Super Bowl with the Oakland Raiders. He scored a try on debut but lasted just four games before returning home.

Redd, who is 178cm and 96kg and ran 4.70 sec in the 40-yard dash at an NFL Combine, is no sporting mug.

In four years of College football, he amassed 2959 yards and scored 19 touchdowns. A three-minute video on Youtube shows him repeatedly cutting through college defences.

After a superb rookie NFL year at Washington, Redd snapped his ACL in his second pre-season, sending him into a spiral which included marijuana use — prompting a 12-month ban from the NFL.

“I definitely wasn’t trying to cheat,” he says. “I was trying to cope with my injury. Instead of taking pain medication, I chose to smoke marijuana and I paid the price for it.

“When I tried to get back into the NFL, I was out of shape and my body just couldn’t take it anymore.

“I view this as an amazing opportunity. I’m still only 25, so I have youth on my side.

“Youtube has been my best friend in trying to learn the rules of rugby league. I couldn’t believe the constant movement when I played for Ipswich a few weeks ago. I was vomiting at halftime, so I need to work on my endurance, skills and fitness.”

Former Broncos and Queensland Origin centre Chris Walker played alongside Redd in Hawaii and believes he can succeed in the Intrust Super Cup next season.

“The way he moves is elite,” Walker said. “He is so strong and is as good athletically as any player in the NRL, but it’s early days.

“Once he learns the game, he will definitely be Queensland Cup standard and he might be a chance of making the NRL if he works his butt off.”

source: Sunday Mail

I've actually only just watched the highlights package and he does look to have some talent

Definitely a guy we should be keeping an eye on.

maybe even given him the opportunity to train with us during the pre-season (as we usually do with some players from our affiliates)

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.