Six again

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
So I’ve been thinking about this stupid rule because nothing winds me up more.

Why isn’t it a penalty if you’re in your own half and six again if you’re in their half? What possible advantage did we receive getting a six again on the 30 in our end when a kick into touch would’ve given us six down their end?

Last edited:

Why isn’t it a penalty if you’re in your own half and six again if you’re in their half? What possible advantage did we receive getting a six again on the 30 in our end when a kick into touch would’ve given us six down their end?
Very good point.

I wrote the following in another thread but it directly relates to 6 agains.

expand...

Agree but I'm sick of seeing our guys kick to the wingers and fullback. Only once in every ten kicks does it find the grass and we seldom challenge for the ball. Even if we do the luck or 50/50s rarely favour us. I'd tell Milford to kick long and hard to get to the ingoal AND BEYOND .

Yes, try to get it to the ingoal but no problem if it goes over the deadball line. Second best result for mine. A 7 tackle set, so what. With the new six again rule a 7+(often 10-12) tackle set happens as many as ten times against us so defending a 7 tackle set nowadays is no biggie. Bonus is sometimes it WILL settle in the ingoal and we can get a drop out our way. With either way the opposition never gets more than a 20metre restart anyway , so I wouldn't care about one extra tackle. For me the benifits FAR outweigh the added tackle.

I fucking hate the six again rule.

Stop being sensible

Aside from which, that's way to complicated for our referees

I fucking hate the six again rule.
I agree. It's a stupid and unnecessary addition to the game. Players never know why they're being penalised, and because the game moves on so quickly, any incorrect decisions go unnoticed or are immediately forgotten about. There is no consistency either. Multiple times within the a game we will see the same type of infringements be adjudicated differently.

Another thing, which I can't really prove, but it seems the better teams receive a lot of random set restarts in the fourth or fifth tackle of a set, whereas the lower teams seem to get a lot of their set restarts very early on in the set.

This topic has been covered somewhere else, I'm sure.

I agree. It's a stupid and unnecessary addition to the game. Players never know why they're being penalised, and because the game moves on so quickly, any incorrect decisions go unnoticed or are immediately forgotten about. There is no consistency either. Multiple times within the a game we will see the same type of infringements be adjudicated differently.

Another thing, which I can't really prove, but it seems the better teams receive a lot of random set restarts in the fourth or fifth tackle of a set, whereas the lower teams seem to get a lot of their set restarts very early on in the set.
I've never seen players look so puzzled after a reffs call as well...it's not like it is a new rule that decisions are being based on.

Refs can’t even get black and white rules like knock-ons and try put-downs right. How the hell are they going to get calls like this right?

Playing the ball off the mark drastically increases your chance of getting a 6 again call if you can keep doing it and maintain momentum. Team needs to be coached to play the ball Storm style.

I have watched a couple of old games on NRL tv and the game is being played more like back in the late 90s early 2000's. It is pleasing to the eye mostly due to the decreased wrestle. But these infringements are all over the shop and like it has been pointed out some teams get them early all the time while others get them mid to late in the set.

The one thing I will say is that the 7 set restart proves all you need is an extra tackle to make a point scoring difference. What I would prefer is the infringement cancels the tackle that was just infringed not the whole set. This I believe would be much fairer and less impactful as a whole.

I'm certain someone suggested that already too. I know because I liked it and made a comment on it.
In fact, I was wrong before, there is a very similarly named thread here: https://www.broncoshq.com/index.php?threads/41790/
Where all of these ideas have already been covered.

Last edited:
I’m sure the mods can merge the threads then Organix if it’s hurting your OCD!

I’m sure the mods can merge the threads then Organix if it’s hurting your OCD!
edit: I am editing this because I reacted harshly there.

Mate, I'm sorry to be niggling about this, but my point was that many posters have shared similar views to yourself already and may not be so ready to double down on a conversation they have already participated in. For this reason I meant to suggest that you read some the other thread and even revitalise it with rather than starting a new thread wherein you are repeating or echoing the thoughts of others. You may find that you have a nuance which you can add or you may learn something from someone else.

I should have just written this at the start.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • Manifesto
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.