NEWS Sleepy Joe O: it was a very bad year

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Sleepy Joe Ofahengaue dishes on what went wrong last year:

“Yeah it got really bad... I’m not going to sugar-coat it. Things got really bad and I went away from a lot of things I knew I was good at. I just wasn’t buying into my footy and wasn’t playing to my potential. I was starting in Origin the year before that. I think I just let the losses really affect me."

“And that’s not really me. But if you ask any of my teammates, I’m usually the happiest guy in the club. I’m the one who is trying to get the boys around me going and get the energy up. Yeah, last year was just a really, really bad one for me and the club.”

“We were fit, bro. We just weren’t winning, you know? And when you’re when you’re losing your players lose belief in your coach, it’s hard to get the team to click because everyone’s minds are in different places. You know, some boys maybe believed in the coach. Some boys didn’t, that’s what the Broncos were last year."

“At stages (I believed in Seibold) and I’m not going to badmouth Seibs. I think he was a great guy. I think his coaching strategies were nowhere near what we needed last year. Us players as well, we were at fault as well, because we weren’t honest [with Seibold] sometimes. He’d say we need to do this? And as players we just agreed. So we played a big part in that as well. It wasn’t just a coach like, I’m not going to fault Seibs. It was on all of us as a club."

4FD6189600000578 6143211 image a 45 1536337328506

"Happiest" guy in the village

“You know, we lost belief in our processes, belief in each other our beliefs, and our teammates and belief in our coach. All in one, bro, no one really believed us. And that’s what it showed, you know, that’s not the Broncos spirit."

“Sometimes we were just too structured and sometimes some players would get the shits and say we don’t want to run that play, or they just didn’t get a match style of footy. But that’s all in the past."

“I wish Seibs all the best. And I was pretty sad when he was telling us he got fired, it’s a man losing his job."

“Tonga is my main goal. I want to play in that World Cup. If Queensland comes then it’s a bonus. On the rep side of things, Tonga is my main aim and I want to lead with those boys like Jason Taumalolo. Hopefully we can go all the way. My main season goal, though, is to play consistent footy for this club. That’s what this club needs and that’s what I hope to deliver.”

McHunt

Last edited:

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • IceWorks
  • Astro
  • pennywisealfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Painin the Haas
  • lynx000
  • bert_lifts
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.