Smith Calls for Storm Premierships to be Reinstated

Hate the ****, and hate the Storm. But any league fan bagging him about this are mental. The fucking Sharks were cheating that year, if you believe the NRL, you have rocks in your head.

They should lose their premiership, and if they don't, give the Storm back theirs. What's fair for them, is fair for all. It's a fucking rort that NRL fans are not absolutely disgusted at this.

Absolutely take the sharks premiership, never give the storm back theirs.

Nothing will convince me that there is not something shady going on with Greenturd and the Sharks. It is plain as day to even the most casual observer that they were systematically cheating when they won the premiership but Todd intentionally has his head in the sand.

Remember you’re comparing Sydneycentric with out of towners ...... we can relate to that.

Smith now calling for player who have played 300+ NRL games to be 100% salary cap exempt

smith claiming that the Storm get no exemptions or benefits from having developed him into a 300 gamer ... but that simply is BS ... the Storm get veterans allowances and Marquee allowances etc that they can use for him. he just wants a billion dollars a year, that is the problem

Last edited:
Smith now calling for player who have played 300+ NRL games to be 100% salary cap exempt

smith claiming that the Storm get no exemptions or benefits from having developed him into a 300 gamer ... but that simply is BS ... the Storm get veterans allowances and Marquee allowances etc that they can use for him. he just wants a billion dollars a year, that is the problem

What are those rules though, they're still pretty limited aren't they?

What are those rules though, they're still pretty limited aren't they?

Veterans Allowance

$0.2 million (200K) – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

I believe this 200k is available for any player that is eligible in your squad

Marquee Allowance

There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

this is currently 600k per club, but can't see if there is a specific way this needs to be divided or if the club can give one player the entire allowance

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

Last edited:

Broncos' fans have been calling for this for 20 years.

$200,000

That's not that much- you could have three guys eligible for some of that at a club. An extra $50,000-$60,000 isn't too much of an incentive to develop players.

Last edited:

even though i hate smith i don't think its a bad idea. i mean how many players will hit 300 games total let alone for just 1 club.

there has probably been maybe a dozen in the last decade who have achieved it for one club. so its not like it will be something you see often and will be saved for the select few special players who deserve to earn as much as they can in there short career and what better way then with the club they love.

Broncos' fans have been calling for this for 20 years.

$200,000

That's not that much- you could have three guys eligible for some of that at a club. An extra $50,000-$60,000 isn't too much of an incentive to develop players.

Yep, Broncos and the fans have been wanting that for ages now. I'm still all for it too.

Sounds good - it also means other clubs will be able to compete for their signature without having to balance their cap. Broncos to open up their wallet.

Veterans Allowance

$0.2 million (200K) – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

I believe this 200k is available for any player that is eligible in your squad

Marquee Allowance

There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

this is currently 600k per club, but can't see if there is a specific way this needs to be divided or if the club can give one player the entire allowance

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

That's not very much, and is pretty poor really. Doesn't really give any incentive to actually develop your own players, and doesn't give any reason for a player to remain loyal to their club to hang around and wait for your bonus at the end.

That's not very much, and is pretty poor really. Doesn't really give any incentive to actually develop your own players, and doesn't give any reason for a player to remain loyal to their club to hang around and wait for your bonus at the end.

It totally fits the NRL though. Allows them to keep the lesser, offer nothing clubs in the hunt year in and year out.

Is he talking about 300 games for one club, or 300 games in the NRL? it would be a joke if it was 300 games for any club. The rorters wouldn't even have to pretend to be doing things by the book, they'd just flat out sign any quality vet for millions of dollars. Uncle Nick could have gone out last year and offered Cronk and Smith 5 mil each (Slater didn't have 300 games I don't think).

EDIT: And another 5 for JT too.

Last edited:
yeah smith is a wanker but I do think there should be some sort of cap concession for long serving players at the one club. maybe make it 200+ games, that's a good 8 seasons or so.

yeah smith is a wanker but I do think there should be some sort of cap concession for long serving players at the one club. maybe make it 200+ games, that's a good 8 seasons or so.

yeah my fully cap exempt is just BS ...

maybe change the veterans allowance from 200k per club to 200k for any player eligible with the caveat that they have been at that club for 8 years or more (if they move to a different club the timer resets).

yeah my fully cap exempt is just BS ...

maybe change the veterans allowance from 200k per club to 200k for any player eligible with the caveat that they have been at that club for 8 years or more (if they move to a different club the timer resets).
i'd be all for that, i think it would stop older heads being moved on purely to save cash for the up and comers. plus i think players and clubs should be rewarded for sticking together long term, its mutually beneficial.

8 years at the club isn't much especially if they have been at the club since they were 15 or they debut at 18. 300 games should be the mark. Its a longevity number that not many players accomplish and those that do are normally one club players anyways and towards the end of their career.

8 years at the club isn't much especially if they have been at the club since they were 15 or they debut at 18.
If they debut at 18 and play every single game + finals, it is just under 8 seasons, so it would be 8 seasons as far as contract negotiations are concerned.

I'd bet the number of players hitting 200 games under 26 is quite low, due to injury, suspension, poor form, rep duties, etc.

Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen has warned Cameron Smith to “be careful” after the Melbourne skipper demanded the Storm’s stripped premierships be reinstated by the NRL.
Following Cronulla’s $750,000 fine for salary cap rorting, Smith sensationally demanded the NRL should reverse its punishment for similar breaches found at Melbourne back in 2010.
The Storm were reported to be $1 million over the salary cap in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and as a result, were fined a record amount and stripped of their 2007 and 2009 premierships, as well as their minor premierships earned from 2006-08.

Speaking on Sports Sunday on Channel 9, Gallen said he took Smith’s comments to mean he wants a review into the historic breaches — a situation which landed Cronulla in their current situation.
“I think what he’s saying there is he wants an investigation to go back into Melbourne to see whether they deserved those premierships to be taken off them,” Gallen said.
“I will say this to Cam: be very careful what you wish for. We went in and self-reported a $50,000 discrepancy and the CEO thought that was all it was. It turned out to be a $700,000 discrepancy. Maybe you don’t want the NRL going back and searching those books particularly when they were found to be $3.7 million over the salary cap over five years. Three of those years they were $1 million over the salary cap, compared to the Sharks. We were $750,000 in illegal third-party payments that were intended to be paid. The NRL found that they were not even all paid.”
Smith’s comments were made during the launch of the NRL season in Sydney last week and were met with a mixed reaction from fans.
At the time of Melbourne’s salary cap breaches and subsequent punishment, the Storm were not only stripped of their premierships but forced to play the remainder of the season for no competition points.

Many argue it was harsh in retrospect, and there has not been a punishment handed out quite like it since despite several salary cap scandals, including at Cronulla and Parramatta.
The NRL has said Cronulla were salary cap compliant on the day they won the 2016.
However, Gallen said if the NRL considered taking away their maiden premiership, he would quit the game altogether.
“If we got (our premierships) taken off us I would throw my ring away and I would quit the club immediately. It wouldn’t sit well with me. I would quit (rugby league altogether),” he said.
“This is what frustrates me with situations like this and situations we’ve gone through at the club.
“It’s not my job, it’s not a player’s job to go to every single other player and ask, ‘How much are you earning? What are your third-parties? Where are you getting them from?’
“We’ve been let down by the administration once again. But who cops it? The players? Who is sitting here today answering questions? Me, the captain of the club. Who is now going to play with an inferior team for the next two years? The players, while the administrators get to move on.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...s/news-story/835c9252dde23bcee606ecb1ecc01b1e

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.